Battery Box

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by Tempstar, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Tempstar

Tempstar Old and crochety Site Supporter+

So with time on my hands I have gotten bored. Today I decided to build a few things that I had been wanting to do. The first pics are the "Go Battery" in a .50 cal can, the next are the "light in a box". The battery box uses a 33ah SLA battery and has a voltmeter, dual USB charging, and 2 marine lighter sockets. The light box uses a 17ah SLA and a single 17 watt /1980 lumen 600K flood light. It easily lights a room or work area and I know will run for 8 hours (tested).

IMG_0208.JPG

IMG_0211.JPG

IMG_0212.JPG

IMG_0213.JPG

GOG, Sapper John, Tevin and 10 others like this.
  2. Altoidfishfins

Altoidfishfins Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

Yeah, cool. I love projects like that.

3. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

Nice setup...."green" energy? well, green coloured energy box. ;)

4. Tempstar

Chello, you so funny...

5. techsar

techsar Monkey+++

Nice setup...I do wonder what the relay is for. I don't see anything that draws enough current to warrant it...except the TS-2000 ;)

6. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I have it in mind for a go box project as well, but I think I might put a battery tender on it, too.

7. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart Snow Monkey Moderator

Is yours a "B" version, or a straight TS-2000?

8. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

I built something like that using LiFePO4 batteries.
    My big one has a 2000w samlex pure sine power inverter that can power my mig welder at full power and my tig welder at partial power.

chelloveck likes this.
  9. Tempstar

Techsar:The relay will power the binding posts I'm going to add....when I find them.
    BT:Straight TS-2000. Talked to you that one time with it.:)

10. Tempstar

I have a 500ma charger (wall wart) that plugs into either of the lighter sockets.

chelloveck likes this.
  11. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

@Tempstar I'm impressed those are both ingenious! You do good work!

12. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

You might consider instead of binding posts one or two of the various sized Anderson Power-pole connectors. The small size is pretty much the standard in the ham community for portable power. I'm not a huge fan of APPs but they arent bad and i have used the bigger 80 and 250 amp sizes a lot with good results. There is a big 450-500 amp version common on forklifts that i have used on jumper cables. I permanently mounted a connector on front of my snow plow truck wired to the batteries and put a mate on my jumper cables, could hook up without raising my hood super quick: worked great.

AT

hitchcock4, techsar and Asia-Off-Grid like this.
  13. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

I did similarly on my Jeep. Could swap the winches for jumper cables, on front or rear of the Jeep. Powered by 2 - Optima Yellow Tops, back then.

chelloveck likes this.
  14. Tempstar

if I use APPs I have to install them on anything I hook up. That would be a pain.

15. Airtime

Airtime Monkey+++

I bought a crimping tool for the small size (good to something like 30-40 amps) and can install an APP in just a couple minutes. Then all future connections and disconnections take seconds, are simple for others to perform and reverse polarity risk mostly goes away.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7