Battery life

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by T. Riley, Jul 10, 2020.

1. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

It's important to note that submarine batteries are very carefully tested and matched prior to installation. The operating protocols are very definitely on the conservative side, and (generally) cared for as if (like HK_User says) as tho' life depends on them, which can happen. (It's also worth mentioning that the ship's electricians were issued extra working uniforms due to exposure to battery acids while taking gravities.) And, just in case, they used to install extra cells in case one of the inservice cells crapped out. I don't remember if the spares were put in rotation, but if it had been me, they would have, simply to even out the plate life.

@T.Riley
    Yes, there are several tests that can be done on a run of the mill off grid battery. N.B. each type of battery, lead acid or any of the newer formulations will have a specified testing suggestions and requirements. Your mfr will be delighted to enlighten (if I can be forgiven for that ---)

T. Riley likes this.
  2. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

what charge controller you have ? ( please be a one i know )
    your grid tied ? so you can shut the system off while testing / repairing ?

Worst way for batteries to be connected , weakest link gets first charge and gives up first , causing the rest to help the weak link and pull them down .

I would disconnect inverter and CC , rewire to charge and test in straight series 4 X 12 Vdc =48 volt , set my Midnite CC to charge and then after 3 days do a heavy equalize
    and make sure on connecting all , everything is clean and no VD

Sloth

SO NO REPLY
    I was trying to do a 48VDC equalize a few times after float to see if only one cell or pack is failing ,,,when all in gangs of parallel , then the weak controls the CC /BANK system
    Sloth

Last edited: Jul 17, 2020
  3. BenP

BenP Monkey++

LifePO4 Batteries are the best for off-grid solar in my opinion. They are safe, prefer to be under charged, and will last much longer than lead acid. They have a bit of a learning curve since you never want to fully charge them or float charge them. I found this on fleebay and I may buy them myself for the house expansion.

LiFePO4 3.2v NEW (120AH) (32 battery) [12.3Kwatts] Prismatic | eBay

Cruisin Sloth likes this.
  4. BenP

BenP Monkey++

I bought them for the kids rooms I am building.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7