Battery tech for a battery bank

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by Maxflax, Nov 16, 2014.

1. Maxflax

Maxflax Lightning in a bottle

What's the latest and truly greatest? Longevity vs cost? [pop]

2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Had to beat, Lead Acid for Power Density vs Cost.....

Maxflax and sec_monkey like this.
  3. Maxflax

Deep cycling lead acid ? I've watched overall battery tech soar, that do surprises me [melbo] Nice thing is if you can obtain them dry they would store forever on the shelf (spares for the Z Apoc)

Any good online sources?

4. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

InterState Battery in Everett, WA is where I get mine.... Deep Cycle is nothing more that a Battery with Heavy Plates, as opposed to a Starting Battery, that has Lighter Plates, but more sintered Surface Area, for more Cranking Amps....

Maxflax and sec_monkey like this.
  5. Maxflax

Thanks again, friend, I'll check Interstate out

6. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Good information on the Exide web page...

Flooded

Maxflax likes this.
  7. Maxflax

Thanks, Dune, those are interesting and informative options [chopper]

8. kg4jxt

kg4jxt Monkey

Lithium Iron Phosphate batteries are up-and-coming. They are still more expensive than Lead, but the charging characteristics are much better - they take full current until they are full so they store power more rapidly - and they are good for more cycles - and they can be fully discharged so you can use a smaller bank. They are becoming popular on high-end yachts. Prices will come down. I expect my next bank will not be lead (in a few years).

BTPost likes this.
  9. Maxflax

Going off grid ASAP when the castle is finished, so maybe 2 years max. I'm assuming the two types are not interchangeable in the same system?

10. kg4jxt

kg4jxt Monkey

I don't think the two are interchangeable within the battery bank - cell voltages are different, but there are LiFeP batteries with similar nominal voltage to 12V lead batteries, so one could change the bank at a later date and retain the same equipment for charging and inverting and so forth.

Dunerunner and BTPost like this.
  11. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

Spot on Kilo/Golf four, Juliet/X-ray/Tango...

Not only are the cell voltages different, the rates at which the cells give up energy and recharge are completely different. Having mixed batteries in an array is asking for problems. Like having automotive cranking batteries in the array with Deep Cycle RV batteries, there are always issues. Even like batteries with different internal resistances causes problems. Old batteries of the exact same manufacture, type, voltage, and rated ampere hour rating but with different discharge rates (the length of time they will provide optimum output to a fixed load during discharge) can cause premature array failure.

You can't just set it and forget it...

Decent web page here.. http://www.wholesalesolar.com/Information-SolarFolder/battery.maintenance.html

And a good PDF here .. http://www.poweringhealth.org/Pubs/Guyana_Solar_PV_Systems_Maintenance_Guide.pdf

kg4jxt likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7