Bear "Fun", "Jungle" Tools, Ideas and Special / Member Projects

Discussion in 'Bushcraft' started by Bear, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

Aloha Monkeys,

I reckon this is where I will put all my "Fun and Stuff" from now on... and all the wild, weird and wonderful ideas, requests and challenges I get from my fellow Monkeys... Hope that works for everyone ;)

I'm an old fart and get bored easily... so I often have more than a couple things going on in my head and my shop at the same time... wonder how many of you are the same way ;)

So here's the first "Stuff"... Had this in the back of my mind for years and years.... while I still believe a machete is my go to blade if I could only have one... this is "my" idea of the perfect all around outdoor blade... sort of a mish mash of several characteristics of knives and tools I have seen over the years...

I always start with a drawing... then folder paper... see how it feels... then if I like it... I make a mild steel template... these are the 3 finished templates with the red dye still on them...

Here is the beginning of a few of these I'll be making.... Model 1 - small, Model 2 - medium and Model 3 - large... still thinking of more creative names... ;)

Let me know what y'all think... but be nice... I cry easy and own lots of sharp pointy things ;)

Have a great day!

Take Care and God Bless,

Bear

DSCF6262.JPG

2. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Interesting looking blade, Bear. Sort of reminds me of the one used in that Tommy Lee Jones movie...I like it!

Bear likes this.
  3. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

It looks like a very cool project....looking forward to seeing the final results :)

Bear likes this.
  4. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Bottom one looks to be a "fast" blade and if the top 1/4 was sharpened it could have the swift up flip needed for in fighting.

I like curved blades and the old Rigid #7, classed as a skinner is a bit heavy but most of the weight is in the handle. BTW Rigid made the worst

sheath for this knife that has ever been produced.[​IMG]

Keep 'em coming, always fun to open your post.

HK

Tully Mars and Bear like this.
  5. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Challenges you want? How about a pocket sized folder to go with the 'hawk?

Bear likes this.
  6. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

I'm curious how each one will throw.

Bear likes this.
  7. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

My favorite all-tim sheath knife is the Puma White-hunter. I love that style blade.

8. Bear

Thanks Monkeys...

Here's some pics of some other "projects"...

Heavy Duty Thrower... will take some comparison pics... this one is thicker and heavier.... just out of the quench... tempering tonight....

Last of the A2 bowies... fooled around with the plunge on a whim for a smooth organic look to go with the lines on the curly koa scales... scales with black liners are drying tonight...

and not to be outdone by my "foodie" buddy @Hanzo

this came in the mail today!!!!... Fruitcake from TEXAS!... ok... I'll save some for Hanzo ;) Delicious... (yes this Bear loves fruitcake! - don't throw them away... send all them unwanted puppies to me and Hanzo!)

DSCF6271.JPG

DSCF6279.JPG

DSCF6282.JPG

DSCF6284.JPG

DSCF6285.JPG

9. KAS

KAS Monkey+++

is that food ? hanso will be there in a minute .. just wait

Bear and Hanzo like this.
  10. KAS

KAS Monkey+++

Bear what is the purpose of the red die?

Bear likes this.
  11. kellory

I like the look of the thrower. What scales did you have in mind for that one? The curly Koa is beautiful, but is it durable enough for a thrower?
    (Everyone misses sometimes, and a novice will always want to try it):)

Bear likes this.
  12. KAS

KAS Monkey+++

Kell, that easy ... spit your binky on the ground and tell them no get your own toys !!!

13. kellory

@KAS , teaching youngsters how to become real people, not thugs, is what being a parent is all about. That means you share your passions, hobbies, and skills, and encourage budding interests.
    To have your father hand you his own knife, and teach you, is priceless. But how would you feel, if you threw your dad's knife, and broke it?

vonslob likes this.
  14. KAS

KAS Monkey+++

ok u win

kellory likes this.
  15. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

@Bear Nessie.

Bear likes this.
  16. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Do I detect a Hanzo project in there?

Bear likes this.
  17. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

I like the looks of the last one Bear. Are these for sale?

Bear likes this.
  18. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Looks like machinist's ink, or layout ink. Used to see your scribe lines when working with steel in the white.

Bear and KAS like this.
  19. Bear

Thanks @Seacowboys Do you mean the movie "The Hunted"? That was a cool knife Del Toro used...

Gonna see if I can make one of each and see which one I like... I wanna make a thick version of the large as well... bush style out of a leaf spring ;)

20. Bear

Thanks @Yard Dart
    I've had these in my mind for years and years... sort of combination of all the things I like in a knife....
    Gonna be busy this weekend in the shop to see if I can crank one out ;)

1. Yard Dart
  2. Bishop
  3. Bishop
  4. AndyinEverson
  5. Asia-Off-Grid
  6. hot diggity
  7. Asia-Off-Grid
  8. Asia-Off-Grid
  9. Asia-Off-Grid
  10. Asia-Off-Grid
  11. Asia-Off-Grid
  12. Asia-Off-Grid