Bear "Fun", "Jungle" Tools, Ideas and Special / Member Projects

Discussion in 'Bushcraft' started by Bear, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Wow very nice! Ty for answering my questions you understood correctly question and gave a complete answer which I really appreciate

Bear likes this.
  2. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Nice!

Bear likes this.
  3. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

Aloha Monkeys...

Thanks for the kind words....
    Spent some time tonight in the shop after the second 3 hour etch.... carefully polishing up the Hamon/HAZ to 1500 grit...
    All done... here's what it looks like...
    Not sure everyone likes or appreciates an etch that shows a hardened area on a knife but I do ;)

Handles are next...

Thanks for looking...

Take Care and God Bless,

Bear

DSCF8066.JPG

Yard Dart, Ganado, HK_User and 3 others like this.
  4. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Most awesome, @Bear. I likey that. Reminds me of Slammi.

5. Bear

Aloha Monkeys,

Worked on the handles a bit today... drilled and counter bored to fit the corby bolts... super secure with 3 of them and the lanyard tub...

The front of the handles were shaped... and sanded to 1500... using brown linen micarta on these... got it years ago and don't have much of it but seemed like a good project for them....

Smaller blade has brass fittings and the larger has stainless fittings....

Divots in both the handles and the blade handle to make sure the G Flex epoxy has good purchase ... always epoxy both sides not just one to make sure you get a good bond....

These are up in the shop after some clean up with acetone to get the epoxy out of difficult to reach areas before it dries... like right in front of the handles....

Thanks for coming along with the WIP... please feel free to ask any questions...

Both of these will go up for the Good Cause I've been supporting in the for sale areas... got my first offer on the unfinished knives today... so one will be at least $120 with the sheath... I'm gonna start the other at $100... Thanks buddy!

Hope y'all are having a great week!

Take Care and God Bless,

Bear

DSCF8068.JPG

DSCF8069.JPG

DSCF8070.JPG

DSCF8071.JPG

DSCF8072.JPG

kellory, Hanzo, Ganado and 2 others like this.
  6. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Sharpened kitchen knives today, so touched up an EDC pocket knife too.

Not a hamon or HAZ, just an @Bear wannabe. It is just the slurry.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434603347.389653.

But still nicely sharp.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1434603366.810911.

Ganado, Bear and kellory like this.
  7. Bear

Aloha Monkeys....

Some more WIP... these are now done and ready to go to the Good Cause section

(Already have offers of $Gone to a New Home... on each of them... so thanks everyone.... but I promised @Pineknot I would make at least one for the good cause... so here are two... and that will be it ... Post for bids is now updated here...

Good Cause - M1A Mags and one .45 - Best Offer | Survival Forums

PS.... neither of these have @Hanzo "dna" on them... ;)

Some grinding of the handles... a nice bit of a palm swell....

Sheaths are thick kydex with hole properly spaced to accommodate a variety of carry positions...

Sheaths lock with a very satisfying "snap"... and hold very secure....

Small is 1/8th thick about 5 1/2" of blade with brass fittings... brown linen micarta....

Larger is 5/32 thick about 5 1/2" of blade with stainless fittings... brown linen micarta...

Thanks for coming along on this one...

Onward to other projects... ;)

Have a great day!

Take Care and God Bless,

Bear

DSCF8073.JPG

DSCF8074.JPG

DSCF8075.JPG

DSCF8079.JPG

DSCF8081.JPG

DSCF8085.JPG

DSCF8087.JPG

DSCF8088.JPG

DSCF8089.JPG

DSCF8090.JPG

DSCF8091.JPG

DSCF8092.JPG

DSCF8094.JPG

DSCF8095.JPG

DSCF8096.JPG

Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
    Yard Dart, Hanzo, Sapper John and 2 others like this.
  8. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

You do nice work, @Bear

9. Bear

Mahalo @kellory

Just an old fart Monkey... trying his best... certainly not the caliber of @BTPost 's Master Smith friends... but I like how these came out ;)

I'll post the updates here for folks as well as in the "Good Cause" post in the firearms related area....

Thanks for all the kind words and support Monkeys.... All of you are the Best!

Small Blade - Start $100 Current $Gone to a new Home

Large Blade - Start $100 Current $Gone to a new Home

Have a great weekend and Father's Day all!

Take care and God Bless,

Bear

Last edited: Jun 22, 2015
    HK_User, BTPost and kellory like this.
  10. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Really nice @Bear. While there is no Hanzo DNA on them, looks like there might be some in them. At least as far as the proportions look.

Bear likes this.
  11. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Ahh well, a little rattle snake meat, scorpion venom and smacking down a few trees ought'a clean them up nicely.

Bear and Hanzo like this.
  12. HK_User

So many nice blades so little time!

Bear and Hanzo like this.
  13. HK_User

Hanzo, I didn't know you were Canadian!

Hanzo and Bear like this.
  14. Bear

Aloha Monkeys,

Feeling a bit under the weather... but got some shop time in between naps ;)

This one is my own project... what crazy things come from a Bear with tools, materials and a few ideas....

5/8th 5160 steel.... 17 degree double bevel... distal taper... Triple quenched and now tempering to about a 59 rc.... that's a quarter in the pics to get an idea of size....

Shared this idea with @Hanzo a while back.... incorporated one of his ideas ;)

Need to fine finish and add a few more ideas and concepts to it... I'll share some thoughts later...

Pooped and need a nice cool shower...

Have a great Father's Day everyone!

Take Care and God Bless!

Bear

DSCF8097.JPG

DSCF8098.JPG

DSCF8100.JPG

DSCF8102.JPG

DSCF8103.JPG

Hanzo, Sapper John, DarkLight and 3 others like this.
  15. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

It's happening...IT'S HAPPENING! @Bear is making a Hatchet (or small Axe)! YAY! Lemme know when you decide to go full bore and I'm in for one.

*darklight doing snoopy dance*

Hanzo, Bear and kellory like this.
  16. Bear

Happy Father's Day Monkey's!

LOL @DarkLight .... Thanks for the enthusiasm !.... not sure what you mean by "full bore"... this is a proto-type concept piece of a wild idea of mine.... sort of that simple works kind of attitude....

Made this out of some large plate stock I had that has been sitting for years in my shop... waiting for the right project... got enough for about 10 of these .... so if I do make more... their won't be many... wide thick stock is expensive and shipping is a killer to Hawaii...

This one is in for the second 2 hour tempering cycle.... we'll see how she comes out in a bit... looked great after the first one ;)

Back a bit later to explain my thoughts on this... this is a little bit of a "method to my madness"....

Have a great day Monkeys!

Take Care and God Bless,

Bear

PS... I like the "Snoopy Happy Dance" thingy... dating ourselves for sure ;)

Hanzo and HK_User like this.
  17. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

I might want one of those, myself. Still scrounging parts for my spear. (Want it quick connect/detachable);)

Hanzo likes this.
  18. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey+++

Whoa! That is awesome!!!!

Hanzo and Bear like this.
  19. Bear

Thanks @TXKajun

Here's a few more pics... that will add some explanation to my thoughts on this....
    @Hanzo and @DarkLight might like these...

I'll be back to explain... but will be offering this up at this point as a "Bushcraft You Finish It" kit with a few items that will make it simple... a few files some sandpaper... some time at your bench... and you will have your own custom ;)
    Uses the Cold Steel Trench Hawk handle... it has been ground and drilled to fit it perfectly... so if you have one... this will be great... otherwise thinking of adding two handles and the hardware... or you can easily fit your own wood handle...

(please not that before I embarked on this... I did some pretty extensive searching to see how well these handles have held up... with the exception of ONE and possibly two others... most had used these for a good long while without any problems as this has been on the market for a long time... the ONE was two kids on youtube who try to destroy things... I will tell you... if I try to destroy something ... I can do it pretty easily with some simple physics... the other two were throwing them... so like all throwing items... expect to replace handles... one of those might have been a flaw in the handle... either way... these handles are pretty cheap... $3-4 on sale.. light and tough... I like them... nuff said!)

Standard 1/4 inch holes...
    This is infinitely customizable... only the blade portion is hardened... every think else is left soft for drilling holes or filling...
    This is a bushcraft section... so I figured a few folks out there love these projects and may want to work on this themselves or with a buddy or son, daughter, wife etc... ;) and save a few bucks in the process.....

Hope y'all enjoy it...

First pic out of the two 2hour tempering cycles....

Finish ground to 400 grit... the HAZ or Hamon is clearly visible... pretty nice.... shaving sharp at 17 degrees... ready of the secondary bevel... or left as is .....

Hope everyone is having a great Father's Day!

Take Care and God Bless,

Bear

DSCF8104.JPG

DSCF8106.JPG

DSCF8107.JPG

DSCF8109.JPG

DSCF8110.JPG

DSCF8111.JPG

DSCF8112.JPG

DSCF8113.JPG

DSCF8114.JPG

DSCF8115.JPG