Bear "Fun", "Jungle" Tools, Ideas and Special / Member Projects

Discussion in 'Bushcraft' started by Bear, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

That's a cool knife... reminds me of the old Buck Kalinga... a lot of the old knives were big chunky brutes!... beautiful in their own way...

Part of the design of this blade is being able to choke up and put your finger right on that ridge for skinning or filleting....

Thickness will depend on your application I suppose...

I bet that knife weighs a ton! ;)

Thanks again @HK_User

2. Bear

LOL @ghrit I was talking to @Hanzo weeks ago about a friction folder I wanted to make... took me a while to warm up to friction folders but there is something about their simplicity that I really like... got the parts... just need to find the time... but I'll get to it ;)

Hanzo likes this.
  3. Bear

LOL @kellory never thought about throwing these... but I suppose if you are good... you can throw just about anything and make it stick! ;)

Hanzo likes this.
  4. Bear

Ahhh @Seacowboys that's old school... I refurbished one for a friend who's Dad gave it to him just before he shipped out to Vietnam... that knife saw a lot of action and abuse... and held up remarkably well... nothing loose on the scales... just some polish... work out some deep nicks and sharpen... even the sheath was still in pretty good shape... good stuff and a great design... I like the thick hump at the front...

5. Bear

Yup... FOOOOOOD... after all... the title includes "Fun" and @Hanzo will be the first to tell you that Food is Fun! ;)

Hanzo likes this.
  6. Bear

@KAS The dye is a layout dye... blue is another common color... it helps your draw out your design and then see it easily when you are cutting, grinding or machining... use a sharp carbide tip or other sharp metal point and it abrades the dye and the shiny metal underneath stand out like a beacon!

AD1 and KAS like this.
  7. Bear

LOL @Tully Mars you mean the fruitcake????... no way! get your own! ;)

Seriously... the last one is a one of kind A2 bowie that I modified... it was offered in the supporters forum only and a few lucky Monkeys got them at a great price in recognition of their support of this great place...
    I am not sure if this last one will be available... but it might be... I will let you know ;)

Thanks for asking....

Tully Mars likes this.
  8. Bear

LOL @kellory Same scales as the others... black micarta... wouldn't go with anything else... the koa was for the A2 bowie... Thanks... that thrower is a brute!

9. Bear

LOL... @Hanzo ....which one... the fruit cake????

Hanzo likes this.
  10. Bear

OK... here's some updates...
    First the very last one and only A2 bowie....
    Cleaned up the epoxy on the curly koa scales... counterbored for the corby's... fitted everything and did some pre grinding on the black lined koa scales...
    Got her epoxied up with the Flex epoxy and now she is hanging in the shop to cure..

DSCF6295.JPG

DSCF6297.JPG

Georgia_Boy, Yard Dart and Hanzo like this.
  11. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Hmmm, I wonder if I would get a better price if I offered to send you my next fruitcake.....:sneaky: I'm not sure if a cheesecake would survive the journey.

Hanzo and Bear like this.
  12. Bear

Here's the finished "Brute" .... did some comparison shots with the "Skinny" ....

Single bevel... swedged point... passed the 3- 6 foot concrete drops....

She is fully sharpened and I have no more hair left on my legs...

Weighs over a pound... and I can tell you... when you hold her... and do a few wind ups... she feels like she "wants" to fly out of your hands... Hold on tight to this one! ;)

DSCF6314.JPG

DSCF6300.JPG

DSCF6310.JPG

DSCF6313.JPG

DSCF6306.JPG

DSCF6318.JPG

DSCF6326.JPG

DSCF6327.JPG

13. kellory

Dang it @Bear you keep coming up with things I want. Chopsticks payment will be going out with tomorrow's mail, let me know what you want for the Brute.

Tully Mars, Hanzo and Bear like this.
  14. Bear

Last couple projects...

Redoing a cracked kydex sheath for a great member who asked if I would take a look...

And a long long overdue project for another member... ;) guess what it is and guess who?????

Thanks Monkeys!

Oh... and dinner was left over cold pizza and some kind of left over meat pie... dessert was a week old powdered donut... so no pics ;)

DSCF6319.JPG

DSCF6320.JPG

DSCF6321.JPG

DSCF6322.JPG

DSCF6325.JPG

15. Bear

LOL @kellory ask @Hanzo I work for food ;) and I do love fruit cake... who doesn't ???? oh yeah... that cheesecake probably wouldn't make it.... but thanks for the thought... I love cheese cake too!!!!

Hanzo likes this.
  16. kellory

New York style cheesecake is one of my favorites as well, but my next fruit cake is yours if you want it....

Hanzo and Bear like this.
  17. Bear

LOL @kellory will work on those chopsticks this weekend too... ;) PM me if you are serious on the "Brute".... she is sitting in a case while I decide if I am going to make a kydex sheath... yes she is nekid... let me know if you want her shipped with a "dress" ;)

Hanzo likes this.
  18. kellory

That would depend upon if I can afford the blade itself. I can dress it, if needs be.

19. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Sure. I've been called worse. Heck, even by you. ;)

Bear likes this.
  20. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

@Bear usually wants one meeeeelllllllleeeeroooooonnnnnn dddooooollllsaarrss.

Tully Mars, Bear and kellory like this.
  1. Yard Dart
  2. Bishop
  3. Bishop
  4. AndyinEverson
  5. Asia-Off-Grid
  6. hot diggity
  7. Asia-Off-Grid
  8. Asia-Off-Grid
  9. Asia-Off-Grid
  10. Asia-Off-Grid
  11. Asia-Off-Grid