Bear "Fun", "Jungle" Tools, Ideas and Special / Member Projects

Discussion in 'Bushcraft' started by Bear, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

So I am curious, is this a one time special request production.... or are you making more for procurement by others?! Beautiful tool and the person you made this for is very lucky. If there is an opportunity, I would toss my hat in for one as well. Thanks for the consideration Bear. :)

Bear, HK_User, Ganado and 1 other person like this.
  2. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

My favorite dog bone bandana...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Manual Weed Whacker on a sea of blue.

Bear and Hanzo like this.
  4. Legion489

Legion489 Rev. 2:19 Banned

A well designed simple knife is never simple, unlike some people who are hyper and never let the chance to state the obvious.

Bear likes this.
  5. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

Aloha @Yard Dart ,

Sorry for the late reply... Thinking on that one but wanted to wait to see the member's reaction and report after some use....

This was shipped earlier this week and arrived yesterday.... the member is in the process of putting it together and I believe is off looking for the proper dowel or stick to mount the head and foot...

Then they informed me that they will "customizing" this to make it their own with their own personal style....

Sounds like fun...

First impressions were that they were happy with it upon opening the box.... so that was nice ;)

Stainless is a bit more expensive... and polished stainless tube is pricey as well... something to think about as I am not a huge manufacturer who can purchase these materials by the ton for price breaks... I buy it by the foot and only what I need... so it's gets up there....

I priced out just the raw materials and supplies I used to make this... just a hair under $80... not including my time... so something to think about... as "Budget" is one of those things I think everyone should consider when contemplating a "tool"...
    While I believe this is pretty much a "forever" tool with proper care and usage... the desire to procure and use one always is offset by the cost to get one... I'm sure we'd all like to be driving fancy cars, live in big houses with lots of land and have all the best of the best in products, food and lifestyle... just is not worth it in some cases... IMHO....

However... as my Grandfather... taught me... buy the best tool you can afford... and you will only be buying it once and it will never let you down.... ;)

One member has already inquired privately and subsequently put their interest on hold... real need versus cost... smart decision....

As some here can confirm... while I would love to make tools for every inquiry I get... I try to always make sure the person is making a wise choice for their hard earned dollars... pretty dumb in some folks eyes... make the sale and take the money... just not my style....

That being said... I'll entertain making a few more of these after I get some feedback from the member who now has this in their hands... anyone can certainly stake an interest here or start a conversation with me... enjoy talking with the Monkeys any time ;)

Thanks for the interest... it's pretty rewarding to know that folks appreciate the thought, care, blood, sweat, frustration and delight that goes into my "tools"....

Have a great Weekend!

Take Care and God Bless,

Bear

Hanzo, Ganado, Tobit and 3 others like this.
  6. TXKajun

TXKajun Monkey+++

Buy quality and it only hurts once. :p

Kajun

Hanzo, Ganado, Bear and 1 other person like this.
  7. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

If you decide to pursue making more of these great tools..... I am definitely interested. I absolutely know, that if you make a tool, it is nothing less than high quality craftsmanship and excellant materials used. :)

Hanzo, Ganado, kellory and 2 others like this.
  8. Bear

Thanks @Yard Dart I really appreciate your kind words...

OK... based on that and a couple pm's... I've decided that I will make up to 4 more of these in same configuration. Only 4 and no more.

"IF" I have 4 members who are seriously committed to owning one... Please message me to express that and I will give you the final price shipped only to the USA... If you commit... I will confirm you as one of the 4....

I believe I have ONE member who already PM'd me here who is ... so there would be only 3 available.

After I get that... I need to order a few things to complete the 4 and will do so...

Hope that helps...

Have a wonderful day all!

Take Care and God Bless,

Bear

Last edited: Oct 19, 2015
  9. Bear

Aloha Monkeys....

As promised... here's an update...

2 confirmed reserved "tools"... 2 left available...

I'll leave this opportunity open till next Monday... (sorry my window of opportunity to order the stainless in the quantity I need is limited) if I have 4 confirmed... it's a "Go" ;)

Thanks for the interest...

Have a great week!

Take Care and God Bless,

Bear

Hanzo likes this.
  10. Bear

Aloha Monkeys,

This project is now a go....

I will be ordering the stock and supplies... so it will be a week before I can even get started...

4 Monkeys will have one of only 5 that I will make... the first was the original and I'll only make 4 more...

Thanks for the interest in my humble tools....

Have a wonderful Sunday,

Take Care and God Bless,

Bear

11. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Sweet @Bear yari goodness! Lucky monkeys indeed.

When Bear showed me the original, I WANTED one soooo bad. But then I realized I don't NEED one. So, I will just be jealous of you five. I do hope you share pictures unless OPSEC prevents you from doing so.

Bear likes this.
  12. Bear

Aloha Monkeys,

Latest quick project for a Monkey...

Japanese sickle sheaths.... great little grabby, super sharp garden and trail tools.... not bad... $7 for the small and $11 for the large... big difference between these and the ones made in China... thicker steel and much much sharper...

I use the small and can tell you it is an awesome tool around the garden and so I suppose in the field as well... light and super fast and efficient... I used a conduit coupler on the handle end... set it with the set screw... then put that end on the 10' length of 3/4" conduit and voila... got a long reach tool that is great for reaching, grabbing and trimming ;)

First measure out the size for the kydex and cut them...

These have super sharp corners which are not so good for where the sickle will be withdrawn from the sheath and also where I am planning to put a retention bend.... not to mention how bad that might be for your thumb... so a bit a filing with the swiss needle files...

Got both done... need to tape them up and trim for a bit of clearance and prep for the thermo molding... but that will have to wait...

More pics and progress later ;)

Thanks for looking...

Have a great week all!

Take Care and God Bless,

Bear

DSCF9574.JPG

DSCF9575.JPG

DSCF9577.JPG

DSCF9581.JPG

DSCF9582.JPG

13. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Very sweet. Always love watching a master at work!

Bear likes this.
  14. Bear

Thanks for the very kind words @Hanzo ... but I am very very very far from being a master at anything ....

Here are final work in progress pics.... this project is done...

Taped up the blades for clearance....

Heated up the orange kydex on the good old hot plate until it was like limp leather....

Then pressed in my makeshift press...

Drilled the holes for the 1/4" hollow rivets... perfect size for paracord....

Set the rivets....

Trimmed, ground and sanded....

Formed the left hand release on the small on and a right hand release on the large one...

Add some orange paracord and they are done and delivered!

Thanks for coming along on another bear project.... hope the work in progress helps with your projects as well....

Have a great week all!

Take Care and God Bless,

Bear

DSCF9584.JPG

DSCF9585.JPG

DSCF9586.JPG

DSCF9587.JPG

DSCF9588.JPG

DSCF9589.JPG

DSCF9590.JPG

DSCF9591.JPG

DSCF9592.JPG

15. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

So awesome and well thought out. @Bear is definitely of the measure twice cut once school of doing stuff.

Ganado likes this.
  16. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Master or not may be subject to opinion. One thing is certain, you have talent for barter, comes the need.

17. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Good fix.

I still keep mine in the original cheapo plastic.

Bear likes this.
  18. Bear

That works too @HK_User ;)

Hanzo likes this.
  19. Bear

Another project done...

My Mom requested these for her Sister and each of here Brothers.... All stainless... even the screws.... these were delivered yesterday...

Came out pretty well... I like an organic feel to my tools... this design could be a flower, a sun, even a fertility idol for my buddy @Hanzo ;) whatever you see... and they work like a charm too (for grating coconuts that is) ;)

Thanks for watching...

Have a great day!

Take Care and God Bless,

Bear

DSCF9593.JPG

DSCF9594.JPG

DSCF9595.JPG

HK_User and Hanzo like this.
  20. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Sweet! Don't need fertility idol, thank you very much.

1. Yard Dart
  2. Bishop
  3. Bishop
  4. AndyinEverson
  5. Asia-Off-Grid
  6. hot diggity
  7. Asia-Off-Grid
  8. Asia-Off-Grid
  9. Asia-Off-Grid
  10. Asia-Off-Grid
  11. Asia-Off-Grid
  12. Asia-Off-Grid