Bear "Fun", "Jungle" Tools, Ideas and Special / Member Projects

Discussion in 'Bushcraft' started by Bear, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

@Ganado, EVERYTHING can be a science and an art...

HK_User and Ganado like this.
  2. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

Glad this post was helpful @AxesAreBetter

Just a little more information so that you don't have to experience the same "learning curve"... i.e.... FRUSTRATION! that I did when I first started out and tried to get handles off....

There are number of different ways that makers secure handles onto their blades... by far the most common has been the cutler rivet... which this fish knife had ... you can see the male and female parts if you look closely in one of the pictures showing the rivets still in the knife....

The cutler rivets are on the far right... and take note that it expands as the male and female parts are pressed or hammered together... this often makes tapping out the rivet pretty tough even after you have ground off the heads... don't hammer on it too much or hard to try to drive it out or you will mushroom the part you are hammering or worse bend it and make things more difficult... grind the heads off both sides (you can tell because the pin suddenly gets thinner) and then tap it out or cut it flush and then tap it out....

The corby rivets are in the center... these are what I believe to be the most secure ... notice how deep the head goes into the handle and the handle material is counter sunk to accept it... you will need to grind pretty close to the blade itself to get these out...

Rivet and Burrs are on the far left... these are easy to tell because of the center peened portion... best thing to do is grind the peened male portion off till the burr falls off

Keep in mind... during this process with any handle fastener that needs to be pressed or peened... the portion that goes through the blade can expand, deform or wedge ... making simple tapping out pretty frustrating....

Best to grind... light tap ... then grind again till it comes off easily.... forcing these or using brute force often will only make more work for you and trust me... accidents happen that way...

Always tape your blade securely before working on it...

I do not recommend drilling out these... nothing like a "helicoptering" blade in a drill press or with your hand drill... unless you are experienced at this....

Hope that helps a bit more... looks easy and most times it is... but sometimes... it's darn frustrating! ;)

Have a great week!

Take Care and God Bless,

Bear

20151124_120525.

DSCF0220.JPG

DSCF0221.JPG

3. Bear

Aloha Monkeys,

I just saw this on another forum.

This is the very talented knife maker that @BTPost often mentions...

If anyone is inclined to help there is a link where folks are trying to raise money to help them...

Here's the message that was posted on December 30 2015....

"A social media message posted about 30 minutes ago.

It is a sad day at the DesRosiers homestead. We had a fire that completely destroyed our new knife shop. Haley and I are ok. We were heat treating a large part and it caught the quench oil on fire. It happened so fast there was nothing we could do to stop it. The loss of the shop and all our tools is devastating, but the worst thing is that our two dogs were asleep inside and were lost. Our hearts are heavy, but we are grateful for all the love and support from our wonderful family and friends.

We do not know how long it will take, but we are planning to rebuild.

For now I am canceling all existing orders. I can not make any promises of when we will recover and be back to work.

Haley DesRosiers

You can Help Adam/Haley at https://www.youcaring.com/adam-haley...RoAmA.facebook"

Very sad and lot's of folks are offering support through messages and other ways...

Thought I would post this here as this is fellow craftsman and a friend of @BTPost ....

Reminder... many Monkeys are out there, in the woods, bush crafting, making things and fire and even just going about their day to day activities... don't forget to be careful, heed safety and always be vigilant.... and even then ... it still may happen...

Thanks where family and friends come in....

Have a Safe 2016 Monkeys!

Take Care and God Bless,

Bear

39e6d454-1fd7-4ef6-8ea5-f643d5336cf0_profile.

DesRosiers Fire_zpsntryphk2.

Ganado likes this.
  4. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Thanks, sad New Year but hopefully they will recover soon.

Bear likes this.
  5. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

These are very good Friends, of ours... Adam is like a second Son... He is the same age as our Boy, and they grew up here in the Inlet, together... We were very sad to hear of their problems... They just got the Shop finished, this last Spring... And now it, and all their Tooling, is ashes... We are getting up a package, for them, that will leave here on Wed. Next... If you fell inclined, I am sure, they will appreciate anything folks can do.... If you PM ME, I will return a Mailing Address...

Bear and kellory like this.
  6. Bear

Aloha Monkeys,

Something a little different but still related to bushcraft... at least I think so ;)

Years ago while thinking of names for children it was decided that if we had another girl her name would be Amber. I like names with great significance and meaning.

Of course after that I embarked on my Amber journey and collected what at that time was hard to find and today is even harder and more expensive... Raw or Rough Amber.

While I have various types of amber from different areas... Baltic Amber is my favorite...

Why Amber?... well it's the fossil resin from the sap of trees that stood tall on this planet millions of years ago... and if you are very lucky... plant life, insects and small animals may have gotten stuck to the sticky residue and been preserved... even air and water bubbles from millions of years ago...

Somehow... holding a piece of life ... preserved from millions of years ago holds a special awe for me... thinking about how long ago that was and holding it in my hand... Amber has a warmth to it and it's link to life... very special....

How old are the different types....
    Age of Ambers

Columbia - Recent - 100-5000 y

North Carolina - Miocene - 15,000,000 n

Dominican Republic - Oligocene-Miocene - 15,000,000-40,000,000 y

Mexico - Oligocene-Miocene - 22,000,000-28,000,000 y

Baltic Sea - Eocene-Oligocene - 28,000,000-54,000,000 y

Wyoming - Paleocene - 60,000,000-65,000,000 n

Alberta, Canada - Cretaceous - 70,000,000-75,000,000 y

New Jersey - Cretaceous - 90,000,000-95,000,000 y

Burma - Cretaceous - 100,000,000 y

Lebanon - Cretaceous - 120,000,000 y

Bavaria - Triassic - 250,000,000 y

Amber has also been collected and used over the short time that man has been around...
    Here are some of the superstitions and practices over the ages

Amber Quick Facts: Mythology & Symbolism of Amber

Quick Facts

• Amber stores static electricity, named elektron by the ancient Greeks. Elektron evolved into the English term "electricity."
    • When rubbed, the gem attracts lint. Amber was used to remove lint by the Phoenicians & Etruscans & was therefore nicknamed "Straw Thief" in Turkey.
    • Amber is the lightest weight & softest of all gems (a diamond is hardest). It is one of only a handful of gems of vegetative, not mineral, origin. The others are pearl, jet & coral.
    • Amber is warm against the skin. In contrast, minerals and glass are heavier and cooler than room temperature. Stones like jade, lapis and turquoise feel cool or even cold to the touch, but amber feels warm. This, along with its obvious sunny colour, is why it is known as -sunshine- to Lithuanians.
    • True amber is light enough to float in salt water, if not weighed down by other substances (like silver), but it won't float to the top, it floats like soap would in a bathtub. This quality probably helped in its discovery-inhabitants of the Baltic Sea area can still find raw amber washed up on the shore after storms.

Colors of Amber
    Baltic amber appears in 256 identified shades-from a nearly black brownish-red, orange, green, yellow & cream to white and very rarely, even blue & tints of violet. Baltic Amber typically marketed as "blue amber" is heavily treated. Legitimate "blue" amber does occur but tends to be Dominican, not Baltic, in origin. You may learn more about blue amber & larimar from the Dominican Republic here: AmbericaWest on Blue Amber

The staggering variety of colour, variations in translucency & the fact that no two pieces are identical contribute greatly to the appeal of the gem.

Amber through the Ages
    Neolithic
    Because amber both contains plant & animal life, it was thought to be a vessel of eternal youth. Historically, amber is tied to preservation. Roman ladies of the court played with amber, holding it in their hands and stroking it, as contact with amber was thought to guarantee a youthful look. Amber has been located in Egyptian tombs, where it was probably used not as adornment, but rather as a powerful desiccant (preservative).

In Neolithic times, this -Gold of the North- served as a sacred symbol of the sun. Entrapped insects also led to the belief that pieces of amber are the resting places of departed souls.

The Slavic tribes thought amber magical because of its warm feel, its lightness and luster. Some believed amber was the petrified tears of gods.

In Lithuania, an amber necklace was placed around a child to prevent kidnapping. Amber extends general protection to the wearer, especially children. Beaded amber necklaces are still a traditional gift for a child.

In Latvia, bands of amber rings were used in wedding ceremonies to ensure an eternal bond. Today, amber represents renewed fidelity in marriage.

The Phoenicians, Etruscans and Romans believed amber warded off evil spirits.

China
    The Chinese burned chunks of raw amber as a sign of their wealth. In addition, amber was thought to be associated with fiery dragon's blood.

Greece
    In some Greek myths, amber represents the tears of Apollo's daughters (Apollo himself was the God of the Sun). Alternately, some Greeks believed amber was solidified sunshine, broken away from the heavens and sunk into the sea.

Priestesses wore beads of amber as a confirmation of the exalted energy stored in these beautiful stones.

In classical times, amber was once crushed and eaten with honey as a cure for headaches and toothaches. Amber beads were thought to protect the wearer from rheumatism, toothache, rickets and jaundice.

Rome
    Amber was one of the reasons the Emperor Nero opened the trade routes with the Germanic tribes.

Famous for her beauty, Empress Poppaea, the wife of Emperor Nero, made amber so popular that women dyed their hair to match its color, described as amber.

Copernicus listed amber as an ingredient in his healing cordial.

Roman citizens carried amber beads in their hands to cool them during the summer heat (the slight scent of pine generated by rubbing the stone fought off other odors).

Roman women played with amber in the same way we might use a -worry-stone- today. This extended contact with amber was believed to promote a youthful look.

Amber amulets were worn to enhance fertility.

Gladiators sewed pieces of amber into their clothing for success in fighting.

Middle Ages
    Extreme measures were taken to control the amber trade. Gallows were erected along the Baltic Sea to hang amber pirates.

The Celtic Sun God, Ambres, derives his name from the fossilized resin. Ancient Celtic amberworks created by Anglo-Saxons are famous for their beauty and fine craftsmanship.

Poland
    In Pomerania, an amber necklace was a mandatory object for a bride-ideally, the largest bead should contain an inclusion (flora or fauna fossil).

Amber incense was burned in churches and amber was sometimes left on the collection plate in place of coins.

On St. John's Night, amber was thought to chase away evil spirits and was generally worn for protection.

Native American
    Amber represents the East Wind, the wind of Grandfather Sun, creation and new beginnings-sunstone. In contrast, in Finland, amber is known as "sea-stone."

The Healing Properties of Amber
    Amber acid is a bio-stimulant and has been used for ages to promote healing. Amber fights depression, and serves as a magnet to attract joy to the wearer.

Amber allows the body to heal by absorbing and transmuting negative energy into positive energy (ions). It is believed that wearing amber brings purification of mind, body and spirit.

New Age practitioners believe amber opens the 3rd Chakra (solar plexus). This is thought to provide mental clarity, balance moods & instill confidence in the wearer.

Amber, especially the inhalation of amber incense or vapors, has a long history of medicinal use. It was used well into the nineteenth century throughout Europe for medicinal purposes & is still used in Russia. It was said to protect one from ailments of the throat as well as a host of other maladies.

Symbolism of Amber
    Amber was first worn as a talisman of good luck.

Amber serves as a symbol of renewal in marriage & continued fidelity. It also represents an everlasting bond of eternal love. In some cultures, it evokes eternal life & youth.

Amber is an alternate birthstone for November, replacing topaz.

Amber has always been association with good luck & general protection, particularly the ability to ward of the evil eye.

Amber is associated with the signs Leo and Aquarius.

In dreams, amber signifies a voyage.

Amber represents the tenth wedding anniversary.

I recently talked with a member and the subject of kids and then Amber came up....
    I decided to grind and polish a piece from my Baltic Amber (28-54 MILLION Years Old) stash for them...

While I have ground and polished many pieces over the years... and kept all the ones with insects... even the ones with just plant debris and air / water bubbles hold special meaning...

Thought I would share a test piece and what the rough or raw amber looks like... this one has lots of debris... and air bubbles... tried to get a pic of air bubbles in the last picture... imagine... air from millions of years ago.... haven't checked it for any insects yet.... happy to share more if anyone is interested....

A great good luck piece for any Monkey in the Bush or just to hold in wonderment of times long long ago ;)

Have a great week Monkeys!

Take Care and God Bless,

Bear

DSCF0348.JPG

DSCF0349.JPG

DSCF0351.JPG

DSCF0353.JPG

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
    Ganado, Aeason, Sapper John and 6 others like this.
  7. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Monkey+++

That's some great information @Bear...I have some ideas and things to think about now. Our 10th anniversary is next month....thanks again.

God bless

Edit:the time and effort put into pic preparation is noticed and appreciated. Awesome.

Ganado, Tully Mars, Aeason and 2 others like this.
  8. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Just don't be going all Jurassic Park on us over there!;)

Ganado, Aeason, GrayGhost and 3 others like this.
  9. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

Hey, he's on an island....what could go wrong?

Ganado, Aeason, GrayGhost and 3 others like this.
  10. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

GODZILLA!!!![OHNO]

11. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

G here you go.
    9074 lbs

[​IMG]

Ganado, Aeason, Hanzo and 2 others like this.
  12. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

I think 411.6 kg is more likely.

Aeason and AD1 like this.
  13. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

@Bear showed me a couple of his amber pieces. They lit up when I held them... Must be the qi...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ganado, Aeason, Tully Mars and 2 others like this.
  14. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

Sure its 9000 lbs. Its the new species "tungsten tuna" whose meat is 10X the weight of normal tuna [lolol]:shock:[BSf]

Ganado, Aeason, Hanzo and 1 other person like this.
  15. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Monkey+++

Beautiful!

Aeason and Hanzo like this.
  16. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Monkey+++

Regardless of weight, I wouldn't mind having that sucker on the grill right now!

Ganado, Aeason, Hanzo and 2 others like this.
  17. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

Sashimi!!!!

18. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

You got a big grill!

Ganado, Aeason and GrayGhost like this.
  19. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

20. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Monkey+++

That's how us Texans do it !
    Hey...Texans know how to grill!

Ganado, Aeason, Tully Mars and 2 others like this.
  1. Yard Dart
  2. Bishop
  3. Bishop
  4. AndyinEverson
  5. Asia-Off-Grid
  6. hot diggity
  7. Asia-Off-Grid
  8. Asia-Off-Grid
  9. Asia-Off-Grid
  10. Asia-Off-Grid
  11. Asia-Off-Grid
  12. Asia-Off-Grid