Bear "Fun", "Jungle" Tools, Ideas and Special / Member Projects

Discussion in 'Bushcraft' started by Bear, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Do I detect ice cream in the future? Mahalo @Bear.

[​IMG]

Ganado, AD1 and Bear like this.
  2. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

You're welcome @Hanzo.... always happy to share some of my first vanilla bean harvest with a buddy!
    Especially one who makes ice cream! ;)

Hanzo likes this.
  3. Bear

Aloha Monkeys,

Simple kydex sheath proto type for horizontal carry....

My buddy @Hanzo and I have the same knife made by Victorinox... she is a beauty and a beast!...

Nice button lock ... long blade and tools... but she is long and heavy... so we both were thing horizontal was better....

Kydex clip so easy on and off the waist band, belt or gear....

Full cover on the front to somewhat protect the knife from crud and rain... open on the side facing the body to ensure good drainage from rain and soakings... body heat to help drive out moisture...

2 handed withdrawal with this super secure set up.... will see what @Hanzo says about that... I can modify for one handed but it will not offer as full protection... we'll see... it's a proto type ;)

Hope you enjoy the quick process shots... rough finish as it's a photo type and I was rushing to finish it... gave @Hanzo this today to put it through it's paces and shake the heck out of it to see if the knife falls free... I guaranteed him it would not.... but you know @Hanzo.... ;)

Have a great week everyone!

Take Care and God Bless,

Bear

DSCF0407.JPG

DSCF0402.JPG

DSCF0403.JPG

DSCF0404.JPG

DSCF0405.JPG

DSCF0406.JPG

Tully Mars, Ganado, Aeason and 6 others like this.
  4. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Ok, gave the @Bear Victorinox Rangerwood kydex sheath a test.

First, it is secure. The knife fits great. Well retained with barely a rattle. The clip is also both secure and easy to remove.

It was comfortable to wear and as Bear said, it is a two handed to remove but one handed to put back. Sort of. I could do it one handed both ways, but it wasn't easy to take out. When I spoke with Bear, he suggested I take off the split ring. Not only did I leave it on, I put a short length of paracord in it. Now it is easy one handed operation.

Also, I jumped around with it on my belt. No problem.

Then I held it and shook the crap out of it. Even though I shook the crap out, the knife was retained. A tiny little rattle was all that escaped. But Bear did mention is was not tactical, so it worked perfectly.

[​IMG]

Bear gear = good stuff!

5. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

@Bear, the generous, brought gifts to lunch.

Not only did he bring vanilla beans and the kydex sheath, he gave me a Sword peasant knife too. When I opened the package at home, it didn't come very sharp. But a quick sharpening job got it arm shaving sharp. I will put it on my Japanese water stones next time I bust them out.

[​IMG]

It is a beautiful blade and in my limited handling, comfortable. I like how slim it is and yet robust.

I noticed a couple of things that I am not familiar with. So hopefully our Svord wielders can enlighten me. First, the pin behind the hinge screw is loose. There is about 1/8" or so of play. Supposed to be like than? Or not fully peened?

And secondly, I noticed a little notch on the spine by the tip. What is that for? It is tiny.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And finally, Svord tips are appreciated!

Oh... what did I bring? I mooched lunch off Bear! I always said Bear is a good man. Never said I was.

6. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Monkey+++

"a good man", I'm sure. But good in this sense, I believe refers more to the friendship....if only we could all be so lucky.

Tully Mars, Witch Doctor 01 and Hanzo like this.
  7. Bear

Aloha Monkeys,

Cordage / String / Rope from plastic bottles.....

OK... I thought this was a great idea and will definitely make one of each type to test it out and to get the technique and idea stored away just in case I ever need it....

Cordage and string is just too valuable a resource when you need it... and if you don't here's an option if there are plastic bottles around... (please note... I've already made a crude version... and it seems to work best with smooth sided bottles like the 2 liter soda bottles... the bottles with ribs or patterns just get hung up)

Lots of these on youtube... but the first video would be a bench made tool... I chose this one because I think it's the best for this
    The second and third are the bush improvised tools...

It really is good stuff.... also noted that an application of heat will cause the "cordage" to shrink and tighten... good to know... I also like that it is clear or lightly tinted depending on the bottle you use...

Hope you enjoy... and that it wasn't already posted... I did do a brief search and couldn't find anything...

I'll post up my attempt when I get it done...

Have a great Friday and Weekend all!

Take Care and God Bless,

Bear

8. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Good stuff, as always, @Bear.

HK_User likes this.
  9. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Just wanted to share a picture of a friend showing a coconut scraper in use.

[​IMG]

Witch Doctor 01, Bear and kellory like this.
  10. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Monkey+++

Hey, @Bear....

What projects do you have going on these days?

11. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

My free range ladies are too vulnerable , I've lost 2 in the last week to hawks practically under my nose. So I have been building a fenced in yard with bird netting on top to prevent this from happening again.
    It has traumatized the chickens so that they stopped laying. not good.
    Been building individual beds as well for isolating brooders and discovering who is laying an who isn't .
    I'll up load pictures later.

GOG likes this.
  12. Bear

Aloha @GrayGhost ,

Thanks for the inquiry... not much time these days for projects... busy with work and family.
    Hopefully will find time at some point....

Have a great weekend!

Take Care and God Bless,

Bear

Ganado, GrayGhost, GOG and 2 others like this.
  13. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

14. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
    Ganado, Legion489, Yard Dart and 3 others like this.
  15. Navyair

Navyair Monkey++

Bear,

Here is a project that might interest you. Not sure I'd put in the bleed valve, as the Schrader valve can serve the same purpose. The more connections you have and holes, the more points of failure that are induced.

One comment: Several small compressors come with the ability to set a cut off pressure. In this case, you could just set 30 psi and let it run when pressure drops.

Watch: DIY Pressurized Solar Water Heater & Shower System - AllOutdoor.com

Witch Doctor 01 and Ganado like this.
  1. Yard Dart
  2. Bishop
  3. Bishop
  4. AndyinEverson
  5. Asia-Off-Grid
  6. hot diggity
  7. Asia-Off-Grid
  8. Asia-Off-Grid
  9. Asia-Off-Grid
  10. Asia-Off-Grid