Bear "Fun", "Jungle" Tools, Ideas and Special / Member Projects

Discussion in 'Bushcraft' started by Bear, Jan 22, 2015.

1. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

Aloha Monkeys....

Replacement sheath is done...

Original sheath with knife at the far left...

First proto type, second from the left, all black with extra thick kydex back for durability... always do one before I do the final when it's a design or fit I'm not sure ...

Second proto type, third from the left, with extra thick black kydex back for durability but with super cam in the front... tried out smaller hollow rivets like the original but decided to go with the more secure larger rivets that would also allow for horizontal carry at the blade with the tek lok ... adds a bit of width but more versatility and strength imho...

Final sheath as requested by member in all super cam, fourth from the left...

Larger hollow rivets also allow for more attachment options and the possibility for a add on leather belt loop or dangler for a different carry.....

Learned some good lessons ... last two pics... final adjustments cause the supercam finish to crack a tiny bit... saw it on the second proto... did some trial runs ... but there was no way to get around it unless I did not do the final adjustments with the heat gun and that was just not an option... all in all... unless you look very closely... it is almost invisible... cracks are only in the surface finish... not the kydex itself...

Sheaths are super secure... and a bit tight right now... but that is by design as the kydex will loosen up a bit over time and as the knife is drawn in and out.

Hope the member likes it!

Thanks for looking... on to the next project...

Take Care and God Bless,

Bear

DSCF6405.JPG

DSCF6407.JPG

DSCF6408.JPG

DSCF6410.JPG

DSCF6415.JPG

DSCF6417.JPG

DSCF6418.JPG

DSCF6419.JPG

DSCF6420.JPG

DSCF6421.JPG

2. Bear

Aloha Monkeys,

One more for @Mountainman another thing we talked about that I remembered yesterday... so here you go....

Only about 10 feet away from my target board for this video... This is Sammy... the one I ran over in an earlier post in this thread.... no damage to the point... and yes here's the demo that the blades will throw and stick with no damage.... she does throw well and stick ;)

@Hanzo on the mainland so he missed the fun ;)

Hope all you Monkeys that have these retired blades... enjoy these abuse videos.... I know @Yard Dart or @kellory (too old to remember who said it ) abusing my tools so no cheese cake for me....

Thought @HK_User would enjoy this too... at least I have fruit cake ;)

Hope everyone is having a great day!

Take Care and God Bless,

Bear

3. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Argh... Sammie be a pirate!

4. Bear

Aloha Monkeys,
    Had some shop time... so I worked on these... rough ground and drilled...
    3 different sizes in 3 different thicknesses... all are o-1 steel that I'll heat treat, edge quench and temper...
    Deciding on the grind... want to do at least one right hand chisel grind...
    Some will have simple removable black micarta scales ...
    Maybe a nice curly koa on one or two or three ;)
    Thanks for looking...
    Have a great weekend all!
    Take Care and God Bless,
    Bear

DSCF6423.JPG

DSCF6424.JPG

DSCF6426.JPG

DSCF6429.JPG

5. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

I like the bottom one in the 2nd picture.:)

6. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Is that Red Wood 4x4s? I had to use the round bale because all my wood is old aged Oak. Bullets bounce off them.

HK

Last edited: Jan 31, 2015
    Bear likes this.
  7. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

I'm going to stop talking to you about abusing Sammy since whatever we talk about you try, LOL. Would hate to see her get damaged beyond repair. I wonder if Sammy could split a.....oh never mind, not going there.

Hanzo likes this.
  8. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

if you soak the target in water it's better for your blades...

Hanzo likes this.
  9. Bear

Aloha @HK_User ...

Nope... had some left over treated 4x4s and other assorted scrap lumber so cobbled this together after thinking a bit about what I wanted hanging around outside for "Fun" ;) Like this... one more time for you @Mountainman ;) and right @Hanzo "argh! me monkey matey!" ;)

Took some pics... sorry for the not so good ones....

First I wanted it large enough to minimize misses...
    Then I wanted it to have enough mass so it wouldn't go flying when I hit with something large or heavier like a bowie, hatchet, spear or other ;)....
    This is pretty heavy...
    Then I wanted to be able to minimize damage to whole thing from splits, rot, cracks etc... so I made it easily serviceable to replace sections that
    were damaged or cracked with one screw... piece of thick scrap ply on the back

Then since I was leaving outside where it does get rained on and the sun hits it... I was happy to have the treated lumber left over ( fast cuts with my chop saw), used stainless screws and coated the whole thing with some left over Thompsons waterseal....

Finally wanted to be able to tote and hang it wherever, so screwed in some some galvanized lag bolts and chain...

Voila!.... cheap, simple, durable, serviceable, easy peazy... Hope its helps you come up with something that works for you....

Easy to make with just about any scrap lumber, easy and cheap to service and will last....

Have a great weekend all!

Take Care and God Bless,

Bear

DSCF6430.JPG

DSCF6432.JPG

DSCF6434.JPG

DSCF6435.JPG

DSCF6437.JPG

DSCF6438.JPG

Mountainman, kellory, Hanzo and 2 others like this.
  10. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

More blade torture. Clamp it in a vise and twang it for tone. Move up or down scale and scribe on octaves or notes and play tunes. (Might take a whole series of different knives to cover the scales before going on the club circuit.)

(I need a better outlet for silly ideas.)

11. HK_User

Seems like you fit right in!

Hanzo likes this.
  12. Bear

Aloha Monkeys,

Ground out both "skinny" ones... right hand chisel grind... 17.5 degrees... ready for heat treat as soon as the finish the others... ;)

Put an edge on the top of one like @HK_User mentioned ... not sure if I will leave it "false" or sharpen it... wanted to see how it would look... sure takes some of the batoning aspect of this one away.... but I think I like it ;) whaddya'll think?

time for a nap ;)

Bear

DSCF6440.JPG

DSCF6446.JPG

DSCF6447.JPG

DSCF6449.JPG

DSCF6453.JPG

DSCF6455.JPG

13. HK_User

Sharpen that bad boy.

Mountainman likes this.
  14. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

[ditto] I like the double edge, very nice work. Might have to get a second job if you continue with these projects.

Sapper John and Yard Dart like this.
  15. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

IMG_20150203_161520359. IMG_20150203_161442532. she earns her name (on the blade):)

16. kellory

Hmmm, the name just barely shows in the pics. Perhaps I should blacken the etching. Her name is "Thoughtless" for she flies well, and hits hard, without much effort at all.

Bear likes this.
  17. HK_User

Out of focus.

18. kellory

The other pic is quite clear, and it doesn't show.

19. HK_User

Stealth Mode

Yard Dart likes this.
  20. Bear

Glad you like her @kellory
    Thanks for the pics and the feedback
    She does like to fly ;)

kellory likes this.
  1. Yard Dart
  2. Bishop