BearTooth is now accepting PreOrders.....

Discussion in 'Survival Communications' started by BTPost, Mar 7, 2016.

1. Mountainman

Mountainman Großes Mitglied Site Supporter+++

This is also a consideration if you have older phones like I do. I have Android version 4.1.2.

"Beartooth works with iPhone 5/s/c, 6/s/Plus, and Android phones running Android 5.0 or above."

2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

I believe that it they require BlueTooth 4.0, or above for connectivity... which meets the criteria that MM states above...

3. stg58

stg58 Monkey+++ Founding Member

Today I received a $10 refund no explanation it may have been from this link (thanks) but nice that they are sill there and active...

4. hitchcock4

hitchcock4 Monkey++

A competitor to Beartooth
    goTenna Mesh: Off-Grid, People-Powered Connectivity Anywhere
    I'm pretty sure this one does text messages only (no voice capability).

If you scroll all the way to the bottom, look at the FAQ for "On which frequencies does goTenna Mesh operate?"
    You will see the answer:
    The first-gen goTenna works on the 151-154MHz band (MURS), whereas goTenna Mesh will be on the 900MHz spectrum in the United States and will vary through other countries. For example: it will auto-tune itself to operate on the 846MHz ISM bands in Europe.
    FWIW, they are two for $129 for the next 600 people who pledge. Cheaper than Beartooth but with different capabilities.

5. stg58

At this point I have $129 in the two Beartooth's and it seems that they may be delivered yet this year...

Just on their status Beartooth seems further along.
    Gotenna may be better but they are in the kickstarter phase.
    I am not one to go for potential vaporware but Beartooth was a risk I went for.

On both Your mileage and delivery may vary..

6. stg58

I received an email from Beartooth today.

/////////////////////////////////////////
    It is almost time to ship your Beartooth!
    To ensure we deliver your devices to the correct address, please click the button below to provide your shipping information.

Thank you for your purchase!
    The Beartooth Team

Shipments are still on track to start in late December. It may take several weeks to fill our entire backlog.
    For additional questions and support please email support@beartooth.com

7. BTPost

Yep, got the same, and filled it out. And submitted the form... I will write up a Post when my pair arrives...

Motomom34 likes this.
  8. stg58

New update.

The start of a stream of BS?

Happy Holidays to you and your family from all of us at Beartooth.

The Update
    We wanted to update you on our progress and shipping timeline. Our shipping timeline has been delayed about 6 weeks, moving from a start in late December, to a start in mid February.

What Happened
    As we accelerated full-scale production earlier this month, we had to source a new supplier for our USB connector. This part change also impacted the tooling for our mechanical enclosures. Combining the time required to retool, and lead time to order thousands of new connectors, a delay of 6 weeks was introduced into the total manufacturing schedule.

The Impact to You, Our Loyal Beartooth Family
    Rather than starting shipments as originally scheduled right after Christmas, we will start shipments in mid February, keeping in mind that it may take several weeks to work through the entire backlog.

Full Progress Update
    Outside of this small delay, all other aspects of building your Beartooth have been quite smooth. Mechanical parts manufacturing is underway, we face no significant supply chain constraints, and several rounds of intense testing on the PCB, including RF and power systems, have passed with flying colors. We have finalized our packaging and are closely coordinating with our logistics partner.

On behalf of the entire Bozeman, MT based Beartooth team, we are sorry for any inconvenience this may cause; we are working overtime to close the gap on the delay this unforeseen part change has introduced.

Questions
    If you have any questions, please reach out to us by replying directly to this email or send a note to support@beartooth.com. Support email goes directly to our director of marketing, lead product engineer, and me.

Thank you for your continued support.

Respectfully,

- Michael

9. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

Is the beartooth supposed to be superior to the gotenna?

10. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

Um...on a whim I went and did a search for USB connectors and USB connector assemblies. I was stunned...STUNNED I tell you, to see that they are very, very, remarkably even, similar to each other. Even to go so far as to say damned near identical from a number of different manufacturers.

I'm calling BS on this and they are expecting people to not look to deeply. I hope I'm wrong but I'd say it doesn't bode well.

11. BTPost

It depends on what you consider, "Better" ... BearTooth uses the same RF Band as the SECURE Phones... (902-928 MHz ISM Band). The GoTenna uses the MURS VHF Band...The BearTooth connects to your BlueToo th device, and allows for exchange of Video, Audio, Text, Data, and ANY encrypted Comms th at your device can transmit. (Think Messages, FaceTime, Skype, ONEPAD Stuff, and the like) GoTenna, at this time, only can share Text, and Location Data...

12. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

As it stands today, beartooth is vapor ware. I have two Gotenna's in my faraday cage. So, I would not say it's better.
    Free beer tomorrow.

ghrit likes this.
  13. melbo

So beartooth would appear to advertise more functionality but may not deliver. Thanks

14. stg58

Last edited: Dec 2, 2016
  15. melbo

Thanks @stg58
    I think I'll wait for the Beartooth. Startups can face challenges in bringing a product to market.

16. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

I don't understand. I've had a pair for over a year. It's the beartooth I ordered that will not be delivered until February, maybe. What bothers me about the goTenna is the software on you phone has to be kept up to date and the only way to get it is to download it via wifi. If you are not setup with the phones ready when the net or grid goes down they are useless. Does anyone know if Beartooth is the same as opposed to a stand alone device that can be paired with any phone anytime via Bluetooth?

17. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Well, was thinking about this beartooth gadget. However, at my advanced stage of life, if it ain't hardware in my hand, it does not exist. I might not live long enough to see this vapor solidify. No longer interested in the least, and I sincerely hope that all who have bet on the come are rewarded for their patience. Me now go back to semaphore flags and smoke signals where I belong.

T. Riley likes this.
  18. BTPost

@T. Riley ... As I understand the BearTooth... It connects to MOST devices (iPhone, iPad, LapTop, PC with BlueTooth, etc) as a BlueTooth Comm Device... Similar to the way a WiFi Device would, and provides BiDirectional TCPIP Data Path between the Two BearTooth Devices and then to the BlueTooth Device on each end via BlueTooth.... So whatever the Devices can pass over their BlueTooth Connection, is then transmitted across the BearTooth's ISM (902-928Mhz Spread Spectrum) Band Link... So say one has a pair of BearTooths, and an iPhone, and an iPad... Then once connected, via BlueTooth, then the two iDevices, would be connected, and a FaceTime, or Messages, Connection could be made, as well as File Sharing, and just about ANY Other type TCPIP Traffic can be passed across the BearTooth link.

T. Riley likes this.
  19. stg58

Update...

Happy New Year from your Beartooth team. 2016 was a banner year with even bigger things to come in 2017.

The Update:
    We are thrilled to report the unqualified success of our initial manufacturing run on our mass production line. This milestone allows us to remain on track to start shipping out of the factory in late February. It was an awesome trip. We even got to experience Chinese New Year in Shanghai on The Bund.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Production:
    During January, our Bozeman, MT based team spent some focused time in China setting up the entire manufacturing line. We verified that all jigs, tools, and testing equipment are functioning properly. Additionally, we worked in tandem with our process and quality control engineers to ensure that each Beartooth we build meets our exacting quality and durability standards.

The first article production units are being heavily tested for reliability. Drop testing, heat & cold exposure, and thousands of button presses are just a few of the multitude of tests Beartooth must undertake to pass our rigorous quality standards.
    [​IMG]

Software:
    We are heavily testing a stable software release that includes 98% of V1.0 features. There are a couple of fixes and features we still want to get in the release; however, the software is shippable in the current form. We will publish the iOS and Android applications to the respective app stores concurrently with first deliveries.

Hardware:
    The hardware is locked down tight. Both PCBs and mechanical enclosures met our most rigid specifications right out of the gate. Beartooth is gorgeous to your eye and durable in your hand.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Timeline:
    In mid-February we return to China to finalize the last remaining tasks that need to be done on-site, including adding additional high volume fixtures to increase production capacity. We will make several hundred additional Beartooth units, quickly verifying that the units continue to meet our strict standards. Then the real fun begins as we make thousands of more Beartooth to ship to you.

First units will ship out of the factory in late February. Keep in mind that it will take several weeks to work through the entire backlog of orders. We will update you with additional shipping details when we receive them from our freight forwarding and shipping partners. As part of that process we will re-verify your shipping address.

Questions:
    If you have any questions, please reach out to us by replying directly to this email or by sending a note to support@beartooth.com.

We look forward to talking again soon!

Beartooth Team

[​IMG]

20. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

I just emailed them this afternoon. March or April they say.

1. DKR
  2. William Warren
  3. bumpshadow
  4. hitchcock4
  5. DKR
  6. Bandit99
  7. BTPost
  8. DKR
  9. BenP
  10. Hanzo
  11. Asia-Off-Grid
  12. Asia-Off-Grid