Bedridden and worried about the SHTF

Discussion in 'Survival Medicine' started by BRONZ, Nov 2, 2005.

1. BRONZ

BRONZ Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Anybody ever get layed up in bed and worry about what if something bad should happen right now.

Man, 2 weeks ago I was at work and my left hand became very sore, to the point of being useless. The next morning I woke up and both hands were very sore and my left knee was sore. Later that day at work my left knee stated to hurt so bad I had to limp. Drove myself home and went to bed thinking I had to go see the Doctor in the AM. About 1am I woke my wife up with a 8 or 9 scale pain in my knee and asked her were the local hospital was. Just living in this area 2 months so I didn't know and drove myself to the ER.

Long story short a week later they still don't know what happen to me. Check for lyms(sp) that came back negitive. And after about a week on crutches , a bunch of pain killers it went away.

Laying in bed I kept saying to myself man this isn't a good time for something bad to happen.

2. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Man Bronz
    I hope that doesnt happen to you again, what a fraking scare :shock:
    I have wondered this too about being unable to keep up like always when sick or hurt.
    I have made sure to keep my wife and Daughter up on taking care of everything till im back in good shape.
    Had it happen sorta once broke my back in 3 places, was down for a year almost, they did fine, was our first winter moving up on the mnt :shock
    I broke my back in Nov, between them and my friends evrything was fine through the winter.

3. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

That is definitely a concern. I would say the best thing would be to train everyone in your immediate family to do any of the things that you would not be able to do if you were down.

If I was able to, I could verbaly supervise, but what if you were completely incapacitated?
    With me being gone alot I have taught my daughter how to check for tripped breakers,how to prime the well pump and things like that that I would normaly do if I were home.

Working on oil rigs I always made it a point to train everyone on my crew to operate the rig. That way if something happened I would'nt be the only one who knew how to shut the rig down and secure the well.

4. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

What a scare that must have been Bronz. Any chance you'll ever find out what caused it.

5. phishi

phishi Psy-Ops Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

That is unnerving Bronz. I was thinking along a similar line of thought when I was getting ready for my second round of surgery and the hurricanes were hitting the Gulf. I was wondering if I would be trapped at my place, the world coming down around us, unable to even shoulder a pack to bug out. As it is now, I could carry some weight, but no where near what I would expect of myself before the operation.

I suppose that this reason alone is a good one to stay in shape and to make annual trips to the doctor/dentist. That being said, sometimes bad things happen at the worst possible time.

phishi

6. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

That's scary Bronze. You might want to get a second opinion on that, when things go wrong, you want to at least know why. I just hope it doesn't happen again. Take care man.

7. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

You better now BRONZ?

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7