Beef Makes Vegetables Edible:)

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by Kamp Krap, Jan 13, 2023.

1. Kamp Krap

Kamp Krap Monkey++

My version of vegetable beef soup.
    2 pounds chopped up whatever kind of beef
    1 chopped head of cabbage
    4 chopped onions
    1 bunch of chopped celery
    how ever many carrots you can find hiding and growing in the fridge
    4 crushed garlic cloves
    2 cans diced tomatoes
    1 can cream style corn
    4-5 big chopped up potatoes
    5 tbsp back pepper (I really like black pepper)
    2 whole dried cayenne peppers just tossed in
    High salt or low salt to your taste, I use about a palm full of salt in a big pot.
    Put all the vegetation in a big deep pot like this one and about 1/3 of it water and bring to a boil and simmer. Second put about 2 quarts of water and the chopped up whatever beef, in this case a 2.5 pound chuck roast. Boil for 20 minutes and then high simmer for another hour. Dump beef and broth into big pot to make the vegetation edible and low simmer for another hour or two giving a stir when you remember to. I like to give it a full 2 hours slow simmer to work together good. That is my 4 gallon stock pot to give a idea of volume. Will eat about 1/4 of for dinner tonight, put 1/4 in the fridge to eat over the next 2-3 days and freeze half in bags for heat n serve meals down the road.

Sometimes add egg noodles or rice to it but today just a straight soup. LOL I took today off and am doing a enjoy the fire and not do anything other than some reading and brewing this soup on a cold wet miserable kind snow and kind of rain day :) Usually cook this stuff on the wood stove but my big cast iron pot is still in the container and I am feeling that lazy so just using the cabins lectric stove.

Side note the grease and fat in the broth are yellowish because the beef is from one of the grass fed and finished steers. If it was from one of the grain fed and finished steers or cows it would clear and white.

Another side not skip the two whole cayenne peppers if you don't like some heat and kick. After a couple of hours simmering it is not burn you to death hot but many say it uncomfortable and unpleasant and it sticks with you for a while. If you are like me and eat a lot of hot pepper type stuff, you really don't notice the heat much but do note the cayenne flavor in the mix.
    DSC03744.JPG

Last edited: Jan 13, 2023
    natshare, duane, Alanaana and 2 others like this.
  2. Dunerunner

Dunerunner Brewery Monkey Moderator

I like this! Would be great with Beef. The only way I like broccoli is in a stir fry with marinated beef and stir fry sauce.

2/3 LB. Flank Steak or other tender beef

Marinade:
    1 teaspoon rice wine, dry sherry or shaoshung wine
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1 tablespoon soy sauce
    1 tablespoon oyster sauce (optional)
    1 teaspoon cornstarch
    1 tablespoon toasted sesame oil

1/2 LB. broccoli tops
    1 teaspoon cornstarch
    1/3 cup water for cornstarch slurry
    7 tablespoons avocado oil or high smoke point vegetable oil
    1 large or 2 medium garlic cloves, crushed and fine chopped
    1 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon soy sauce
    3 tablespoons chicken stock, beef stock or vegetable stock
    1/4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper.

Slice the beef across the grain at an angle in thin strips
    Mix the marinade in a medium size bowl. Add the beef and mix to cover well. Allow the beef to marinate at room temperature for at least 30 minutes. Cut each broccoli top in half length wise into bite sized pieces. Dissolve cornstarch on water to make a thick slurry and set aside. Heat 6 tablespoons oil in a wok or large frying pan over high heat for 1 minute. Stir fry the marinated beef until browned. Remove the beef with a slotted spoon draining the excess oil over the wok or frying pan. Add the remaining tablespoon of oil and the broccoli tops and stir fry 5 minutes. Push the vegetables to the sides of the wok or frying pan and add the cornstarch slurry, salt, soy sauce, stock, and pepper. Stir fry until the sauce thickens slightly. Add the cooked beef, mix well to coat the vegetables and beef with the sauce while adding the fine chopped garlic.

Remove from the wok or fry pan and arrange on a serving platter. Top with angular chopped green onion.

Serve with steamed rice

Serves 4-6 people

Last edited: Jan 13, 2023
    Kamp Krap and Alanaana like this.
  3. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey+++

I love soups all year round and beef soup is probably my favorite. I'm with you on the black pepper too! It's so nice to make a massive pot and freeze the leftovers for lazy days. Thanks for sharing your recipe!

duane, SB21, Dunerunner and 1 other person like this.
  4. Alanaana

Alanaana Monkey+++

Your soup sounds delicious. I want to get better at marinades and am definitely going to try out your recipe. I just discovered avocado oil and it's my new favorite. Thanks for sharing!

5. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I like ya'll giving your recipes,, tspoons, tablespoons and stuff ,, everytime I go to cook something and follow a recipe ,, I find I'm out of something or don't have something ,,, so I just end up with pot luck ,, whatever I got .

I'm liking that cabbage recipe ,, I've been having a urge to cook up a pot of cabbage ,, may have to hit the veggie and spice aisles at the store this weekend .

Cruisin Sloth likes this.
  6. Dunerunner

That is why you make a menu and a list for the period before you shop. That way, you know you have everything for each dish on the menu. ;)

7. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Yea ,, that would be the smart thing to do ,,, but ,, this is me we're talking about .
    I usually pop in to the store on a spur of the moment ,, throw stuff in a buggy and get the hell out . Planning the trip would make more sense ,, but ,, like we were talking about before ,,, this is me we're talking about .

oldawg, Kamp Krap and Dunerunner like this.
  8. duane

duane Monkey+++

KK, loved beef soup idea. In survival conditions, sounds like excellent stone soup. Change veggies to what is on hand, potatoes or parsnips, what England ate before potato, more cabbage and more more liquid and serve over rice or noodles. Could even change meat with some spice changes. Fill a lot of stomachs with a lot of filler and bring a lot of contentment with 2 lbs meat,instead of 8 or so hamburger patties that don't extend supplies. Have dried potato bits, dried carrots, dried celery, dried tomatoes, dried corn, dried cabbage, etc in long term storage food and want to try that with 2 lbs of meat and spices. Texture will be different but over rice or noodles from long term storage, probably not too noticeable Great post and triggers a lot of thinking for good food now and down the line. Thank you KK

9. Dunerunner

I'm not sayin' I haven't done something similar @SB21 , like getting it into my mind that I could throw together dinner only to find out that I didn't have al; the stuff I needed. Tried to substitute and usually it is one meal, thumbs down and out to the garbage. I just can't afford that waste anymore.

duane, Kamp Krap and SB21 like this.
  10. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

KK, you sound like me, making chili! Hell, you've got something in the fridge, that's still good to go? Toss it in the pot! ;)

duane, Kamp Krap, SB21 and 1 other person like this.
  11. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I completely agree with ya ,, but if I cook it ,, I'll eat it ,, if it tastes bad ,, just add more salt . We always said in the Corps ,,,, " it doesn't have to taste good ,, all it has to do is make a turd " .
    I don't waste much .

12. Kamp Krap

Kamp Krap Monkey++

Curry powder fixes every bad one for me, it might taste like rancid armpit with enough curry powder but it is consistent!

SB21 likes this.
  13. Dunerunner

I'd go with hot sauce, but then us Navy pukes would just wait until the next chow time or roll out for mid-rats.

oldawg, duane, SB21 and 1 other person like this.
  14. Kamp Krap

Kamp Krap Monkey++

Cabbage is a mainstay here first because it is easy to grow and produces large crops that keep well as heads or ferment or pickled into kraut. Kraut and Pork were made for each other :) Second Cabbage is nutritional powerhouse and not just a filler. This soup not only taste great but covers every nutritional needs for a day with a couple of bowls.

Another recipe I make A LOT is Cabbage, bacon and Caraway Seed. I fry a couple strips of bacon crisp and crumble it up, then add a bout a cup of water to the COOLED bacon grease. Take a half or quarter head of cabbage and cut it base to head in 1/4" wide strips (Cut the core out and chop it up) Put it in the water and bacon grease give it a shot of caraway seed, put the bacon crumbles on top. Put it on a high heat with lid on the pan. Basically steam it with the water and infuse it with the bacon grease. Then move it to low heat to get tender and chow down. Bacon crumbles and grease is usually sufficient salt. Best not to over do the Caraway.... A little goes a long way :)

Alternative to bacon grease and bacon is butter and salt to taste. just melt the butter, cool it, add water and then steam and infuse the butter into the cabbage. Can use really any spice or seasoning that does not conflict with the cabbage. and add any meat or ground meat really.

I tend to shoot for fast prep and cook things that are high nutrition, high fat (Doc wants me to eat A LOT of animal fat, While I have high blood sugar, I run to low on fats and cholesterol. The high fat diet really does keep my blood sugar down and has gotten me up to healthy cholesterol levels. NOT a good diet if you are running high cholesterol! ) And I want easy to digest, hate working and feeling like I am trying to work a rock through the stomach!

Alanaana, duane and SB21 like this.
  15. Dunerunner

That sounds delicious!! [fnny][fnny][fnny]

duane, Kamp Krap and SB21 like this.
  16. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

Ya'll got me to missing a decent meal ,, I'm gonna try and get by the food store tomorrow and grab a head or 2 of cabbage ,, might try and get some of them spices while I'm there .
    Will update later,,,,,,,

Kamp Krap and duane like this.
  17. Kamp Krap

Kamp Krap Monkey++

Don't know about there but Caraway Seed has been real hard to find here locally. I ended up having to order a 6 pack online to finally restock my supply.

duane, Dunerunner and SB21 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7