been shootin' lately?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by snowbyrd, Feb 9, 2011.

1. snowbyrd

snowbyrd Latet anguis in herba

I went out and fired off a few rounds in some of my long arms in winter gear, long johns, 3 wool shirts and a long jacket. Good practice for winter time. If you haven't done so I urge you to try it. Slings need to be adjusted, fingers are 'fumbbly' and getting that mag in just ain't easy. I wear gloves that are 'fingerless' except for the thumb, mittens fold over the top and are held back by velcro. The stocks never seem to fit the LOP is off and just mounting the rifle is alot harder. I tried reloading the mag with the gloves, forget it. It was a bit chilly, around 10 above. I have done this a few times in the past but not often enough to remember the problems with cold weather gear. Gonna do it again in the am. Kinda like practicing in the dark with you home defence 'tool'
    I think I'll do some of it inside, the mounting part at least (the rifle not the wifle). Try it.:oops:

2. Falcon15

Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

Did it tonight and it just convinced me that I need more winter practice...

3. Disciple

Disciple Monkey+

I deffinatly need to do it but by the time I get my rifle it will be spring again so I'll have to wait till next winter.

4. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

Nah...it upsets the "locals" here when I do that sort of thing!
    I have to wait until the weather clears and go up north, say 150 miles....

5. NCGunDude

NCGunDude Monkey+

Yeah, we did, check out the shotgun drum mag in the last clip, that's why you practice! Here's a write up, http://laneyfamily2010.blogspot.com/2011/01/farm-work-day.html.
    <object width="480" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/p/B0B416F9EBB3A44A?hl=en_US&fs=1">
    </param>
    <param name="allowFullScreen" value="true">
    </param>
    <param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always">
    </param>
    <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/p/B0B416F9EBB3A44A?hl=en_US&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="480" height="385" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true"></embed></object>

6. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

I need to try getting to our range this weekend. Been too long since I've been. Been either too danged cold, or sloppy wet.

7. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I shoot at least once weekly all year long but winter here doesn't require a lot of heavy clothing and I do not believe I even own a pair of gloves outside the garden variety.

8. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

You suck! (y) It is butt cold here with a bunch of snow. Just got home and want to go back now for the slightly warmer weather...

9. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I regret (in some ways) to report that I haven't squeezed one off in two months or a bit more. The trap houses are invisible, (completely buried) and one needs snow shoes to get to the target stands.

:oops:

10. CoverBuster

CoverBuster Monkey+

Went out today and had a great time .

Took the new stick out to day .

[​IMG]

LOAD:

42 GRNS Benchmark
    155 Berger VLD
    Win Brass
    210M primers
    new brass , fl sized . chamfered in side of neck
    Seated to 2.888 COL ( .005 shy of mag length )

AV VEL ( 14 rds ) 2794
    SD 20.88
    ES 71.16

100 yards , off the bench with bi-pod and sand bag .

70 rds by end of session down tube.

[​IMG]

First was the center CCB shot . Gun was sighted in with M118 , so I expected it to shoot low . Windage was right on , I had a 1/2 to 3/4 wind from the right .

Top right is a 10 rd. group with 3 flyers that I believe were me , but I did not feel a bad break to call the shot . Recoil of the 155's is much less than other bullets , noticeably so .

I do believe I can do better , so can the load . I am IMPRESSED , with the FN line of rifles this is the second one I have fired and after the first one I shot , I had to have one of my own . Its topped with a USO ST-10 with EREK 1/4 MOA AND 20 moa base .

It was a cool 35 cloudy with a snow front moving in . A fun day at the rang till the Clown Posse showed up and started asking if they could use my crony to see how fast the factory rds were going , and telling me their Uncle Poop stain was a sniper in Nam an used a 270 ................while their inbred curtain climbers muzzle sweep the whole firing line .

11. Falcon15

Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

Went yesterday afternoon ran about 120 rounds through my .308 (yes my shoulder is sore LOL). The range WAS PACKED. Pistol slots FULL up. 4 slots open on the 100 yard rifle, none on 25 yrd or 50 yard. Stayed busy the entire time I was there, about 3 hours solid. When I left people were still going at it. Amazing. Nice to see.

12. BAT1

BAT1 Cowboys know no fear

The Texas Gun Owner - The Front Page group was at Lone Star range in Lockhart Saturday. We had a great time, my 155 SIE/ 42.5 Varget Berdan primed brass grouped real nice, and went and had their famous BBQ after that. Got tosee some nice hotguns.
    We did some real good networking with back up plans.

13. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

Well, at $3.25 a gallon for gas I stay home, a LOT!
    Besides I have what I figure I'll need up north and have no money to replace those rounds....

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7