Beginners Survival Packs and Advice

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Watchman220, Dec 26, 2009.

1. Watchman220

Watchman220 Watchman

As someone who is quite new to this area, but likes camping, I have given alot of thought to this question lately. What to take with you in a pack for 3 days.
    It has become more of a question of different strategies.

What will you take if you need to survive 1 day. 3 days. 7 days. 1 month. 1 year? In the wild. I am woefully unprepared for most of these.

I just interviewed a friend of mine...from an undisclosed military source about survival packs and survival ideas. This article was written from his perspective.

http://www.gregeddolls.com/joomla/i...ps-to-packing-for-survival-and-survival-ideas
    To see the pictures go to this link. Pictures of Military Carrier Vests, Assault Packs, Ruck Bags, Army Duffles.

I can hardly believe I am publishing this article in the United States of America, but I am convinced that the information should be made available sooner rather than later, just in case you lose the ability to access internet or electric power.
    The following is a summary of the content of a conversation I had with an undisclosed military source who also takes our current government situation seriously. He advises in the spirit of a patriot how to prepare your self for the need to travel and survive.
    From a single soldier's point of view the following packs should be prepared for each of their specific purposes. Each one of these packs could be represented differently in the case of a civilian family with kids, distributing various materials between multiple packs.
    Things like MRE's (Meals Ready To Eat) should be distributed among each pack carrier. Other materials that are absolutely essential should also be included in every pack.
    Every member must carry their weight.
    We discussed different kinds of packs:
    Each pack is more robust than the next.
    You must decide what items are absolute essentials for each pack.
    These packs should be prepared beforehand and available to grab at a moment's notice.

1. The basics. Absolute Essentials for survival. What do you need to carry on your vest?
    Weight - Minimum. You want to run to be able to run fast with this vest on.
    All things that are essential get tied to you...your vest.
    Literally tie it to yourself so that if they fall out of the strapped package, they will stay with you.
    Any hunting vest would do the job. The strap system consists of heavy duty straps sewn horizontally on the vest, with spaces left between the fabric strip and the vest. The containers that you strap to the vest have snap straps that go through spaces and snap on to themselves.

2. Your Assault Pack - 3 to 7 days worth of survival gear.
    Weight - No more than 20 pounds.
    Consider how much weight you can run with on your back if you have to run 2 miles.
    It is a practice of the militarily disciplined to:
    - Pack your Assault Pack in an orderly fashion.
    - Pack it in the same manner and order every time.
    - Memorize the contents and the exact location of all the items in your Assault Pack.
    - This is for times of darkness or when quick reaction is required, so you always know where your items are when you need them.

Suggested list of Essentials for Assault Pack: (Some of these items should be carried on vest.)
    MRE's (Meals Ready To Eat) 1 or 2.
    One day water - min - 1 quart.
    Blanket
    Plastic or tarp - to cover from the elements.
    Guns. (This could be put on your vest - depending on whether you expect to need it or not)
    Ammo. (This could be put on your vest - depending on whether you expect to need it or not)
    Fire starter - after a fire, gather cool ashes and put in leather pouch. Put live ember surrounded by ash. You can carry Up to 24 hours. This should be carried outside your bag. (Just in case)
    Or pack cotton w/vaseline in ziplock bags - use lighter or matches to light them.
    Extra socks.
    Leather Gloves - (basic cover from the environment. Fire retardant)
    Ziplock bags - 1 Gallon - carry meat and essentials. Protects from rust and moisture.
    Head cover - Heat escapes from head.
    1 to 2 days of clothing - 3 layers of clothes including windbreaker. ( You must stay warm when it is cold! )
    Boots - (not running shoes or tennis shoes.) Hiking boots. Leather. (1 Pair on and 1 pair in the Assault Pack.)
    Personal first aid kit. (vest)
    (absorbs blood to help clotting, tourniquete for gushing or pouring of blood. Limbs can last hours without blood. Breathing flexible tube.)
    Needles and nylon thread (fishing line) Silk floss. "Not wax" and material that does not rot. (for sutures)
    Fishing line and hooks. (vest)
    Rope - parachute rope - silk. (for wrapping - trapping) (vest)
    Machete
    Cleaning and filet knives.
    Pocket knife (vest)
    Knife sharpener.
    Lightsticks - poplights. 8 hours. (vest)
    LED flashlight Red or dull colors harder to see from distance. (vest)
    Military tape - million uses. Repair.
    Pen and paper - to keep your mind sane or leave a marker.
    Painkillers (Ibuprofen, Acetaminophen, or whatever works for you.)

3. Your "A" Bag or "Ruck Sack" - Alternate Bag to Assault Pack.
    Weight - between 45 and 65 Pounds. Has more essentials for a longer duration.

Other Things You Might Consider for this bag:
    Caribiners
    Hearing protection. (Ear Plugs)
    Bungees
    Digging tools
    Extra Water
    Small Weapons
    Bigger Weapons
    McGyver Kit. (Electric Wire, pocket knife, small rope, tape, anything that you can think of.)
    Vaseline (it Burns)
    General Food, life support and water.

4. Your "B" Bag - is extreme long term, moved to a place (base camp) and left there out of the reach of animals.
    Weight - approximately 100 pounds

Everything in the bag is encased in water proof bags or containers in case of inclement weather.
    Lots of clothes, things you would use for long term survival.
    Clothes are most essential.
    More wants than needs.
    Bigger essentials, couple days of clothes, bigger weapons, MRE's, painkillers, first aid kits.
    Consider the definition of essentials.
    The nature of "essentials" depends on:
    Your environment
    The length of your exposure in the environment
    What you intend to accomplish while in that environment.
    The military definition of essentials is "things to keep you alive, things to protect you."
    So needless to say you must do some thinking and planning about what scenarios you expect to be in.
    This strategic thinking will necessitate a state of "preparedness thinking" that is flexible to change at any moment.
    Sometimes things must be left behind when escape and survival is the primary objective.
    A general policy when putting together your Assault Packs; if it makes you feel good, get rid of it.
    If it is a feel good item, it is not needed.
    Not in your pack...absolute essentials go on your vest.

GROUP BASECAMP
    FIRST - Don't stay in the same place for long.
    Consider where and how often you should move to escape detection.
    If you are using a vehicle then consider how to camouflage the vehicle and it's tracks.
    If you are staying in a Base Camp with several people there will be a need for cooking.
    If you have time to pack equipment are not in a hurry...keep it simple.
    It is suggested that you keep your supplies in an easily packable sealable tub.
    Suggested Items
    Non-Perishable Food
    Compact Propane camp cook stove
    Propane canisters (no smoke)
    Basic small pans to cook in
    Salt and seasonings, Chicken or Beef Bouillon
    Matches or lighters
    Tarps
    Water to cook.

Ideas for survival.

WATER
    Get water from condensation.
    Dig a hole.
    Dump any type of undrinkable fluid or obect with moisture in it.
    Put a cup in the center of the hole.
    Put plastic on the top of the hole. As sealed as possible.
    Put a rock on the plastic in the center.
    Condensation will build up on the underside if the hole is sealed.
    It will drip into cup placed in the center.
    Sweat is water - it's good for you. It has minerals in it.
    Ziplock bags - essential!
    For water...use ziplock bag, put paper towel in it.
    Seal it and keep in warm area, it will condense water in the bag.
    Anything organic has water in it.

FOOD
    Eat Meals Ready to Eat. (MRE's)
    Eat ants and grasshoppers before you eat leather.
    Stay away from brightly colored insects, or animals as they may be poisonous
    Leather pouches or ziplock bags - for meat or other food storage.
    Until you are adjusted to game meat...boil everything you eat, it kills parasites.
    Learn how to gut an animal after you kill it.

SHELTER
    Two sticks with plastic if you are moving around.
    Tarps...put mud over blue tarp - cover with grass and sticks for camouflage.
    Make it small and low profile just enough to sleep in.
    Dig a small hole to lay in and put the cover over you.
    Keep it out of paths where people walk.
    Somewhere not logical to think of a sleeping place.
    Do not go where people might expect to go or sleep themselves.
    Do not be stupid. For example (sleeping in a wash which could flood rapidly)

CLOTHING COVER - SURVIVAL
    Make stuff out of leather/fur from animal kills.
    2 thin layers of clothes and a windbreaker is all you need.
    Boots (Extra Pair)
    Socks (Extra Pair)
    Head Cover (to keep in heat)
    Gloves (Thin enough to work in)

IF YOU ARE BEING TRACKED
    Do not leave anything behind you.
    Don't even leave your poop or pee. NOTHING!
    Another good use for bags.
    Dump it in a stream to dilute it once you have left your area.

TRAVELING
    Get a map of the area if possible, Forest Roads, Trails. With Terrain Features. National Forest Map. Elevations.
    Find a group...small group with which to travel. At least 2 people.
    Make a plan of travel.
    What points will you travel to?
    Can you go on foot?
    Can you travel at night?
    How many points can you get water?
    How long will it take to travel between each point?
    What do you need to get there?
    Daylight is essential!

COMMUNICATION
    Highly recommended to obtain some radios. (Encrypted communications are best.)
    And pre-plan communication times if issues occur.
    If intending to implement a plan on unencrypted communications, do not discuss details over the radios.

CONTINGENCY PLANNING
    Backwards planning...what is the worst case possible.
    Plan essentials to get to goal of survival.
    Have a contingency plan for everything you can think of!

MILITARY
    If you see military or government signs. STAY AWAY!
    Triangular signs are hazardous.
    Smartest Defense is a retreat and knowing how to do it.
    Don't try to fight trained military.

BASIC HEALTH DANGERS
    Find out when your body needs water or sustenance.
    Worst signs of dehydration - you gotta poop but you can not.
    Pee smells pungent.
    Headache.

ENVIRONMENT
    Realize humidity and environment, elevation, vegetation.
    The effects that these factors of environment have on you.
    High elevation will make you short of breath faster.

DISTRACTIONS
    Use fire as a distraction to get away when needed.
    Loud explosion or other loud noise to distract the enemy as you go the opposite way.
    You could think of what you can make on your own, I will not go into that here.
    Pressed gun powder makes a bang, but requires a level of compression not attainable without machines.
    Otherwise when lit it fizzles in a line.

TIMED DISTRACTION
    Light a cigarette and put it in book of matches as a timed fuse.
    Put fuse of a blackcat in hole in cigarette and light it then run.
    Flares - can be used for flammable material.

HOW CAN YOU PREPARE?
    Take a camping or hiking trip.
    With at least two people along a possible route you might take if you are leaving.
    Consider whether daytime or night time travel is required.
    Plan for both day and night travel if you must leave immediately.
    What must you take if you leave immediately?
    What must you take if you have time to pack?
    Take pen and paper to record what you really need or did not need.
    Stay overnight.
    Travel to each of the locations where you may need to go.
    Travel between each location to determine how long it will take and if it can be done in day or night.
    Remember what you did and did not use.
    Predetermine with your group members where you will meet.\
    This is of course not an exhaustive list. The most important part of this planning is considerable thought and practice.
    The definition of essentials may change depending on your scenario.
    You might want to consider cigarettes, alcohol, or other highly valuable items or substances - for trade.
    Always keep alert and sober.

2. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Vaseline burns?!! Now I understand the mysterious, spontanious combustion. Thank heaven a fire extinquisher was handy. [ROFL]seesaw

3. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

My apologies... I am in a mischievious mood. The post was most excellent. Some very good info there. Thank You! [applaud][applaud]

4. Watchman220

Watchman220 Watchman

Troublemaker. Makin fun of a noob...I see how you are! [fnny]

5. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

Yup, but you took it well. You will fit in nicely here. Welcome to the forum.

6. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

After reading a bit, I chose not to carry a backpack with me, right now.
    Don't get me wrong, it has it's uses, that is for sure!
    I'd read a lot about what others were saying about: this, that, and the other.....
    Then I ran across something that changed my entire attitude and I re-thought my idea of surviving....
    Someone said: "If you have to "bug out" and have no place to go to, you are a refugee"!
    Now that alone set me straight, right away!
    I still have the bag/s for me, and for the vehicle, but they are secondary only for absolute emergency uses.
    ( That can come anytime, at anyplace, and from any direction!)
    The whole idea now is to get set up on a piece of land, and develop what I need there....
    (Good intentions and all that aside!)
    I now have the land, I have some equipment and supplies up there, and I have a person on site to act as caretaker...
    The idea is for me to get as much done and then get it up there as fast as is possible, BEFORE: "the balloon goes up", "the wheels fall off the cart" etc., etc.
    It's like lists, you can make them, and try to get as much as possible into a bag, but there's always something you'll need and not have.
    That's just the way it is.
    I have a number of bags, equipment, food, and clothing/temp. survival housing: tent.
    I have a vest, and a pistol belt all set up...
    I weighed the vest and the belt alone, and discovered that I now had almost 80 lbs of weight I just cannot carry on my back!
    I decided to weigh the bags....
    I was apalled at what I had accumulated in just 3 bags....150 lbs!
    So, there is no way on this earth I am about to try to move, much less if I had to run or hide with 230 lbs on me!
    I'd make one fine target though!
    Looking like Santa Claus with his sack!
    You can go much lighter, but I ONLY put into my items what I felt was necessary, and look what happened!
    Now, if you are an experienced backpacker or day hiker, you know what you need and how much you can muster around.
    Me, I am neither, and following a really bad scenario with an external framed pack, going into a canyon, alone...I got educated and really fast!
    Just remember, every gallon of water weighs in at 8.33 lbs.!
    IF you had to carry 5 gallons, you have to try to lug around a BIG container and it weighs 41.65 lbs, not including the container!
    I tried carrying in one of those plastic types of drinking water that had 2.5 gallons...
    It was a real pain!
    And it makes a LOT of noise as you use up the water!
    Things I have learned.....

7. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

150lbs ??I wouldn't want to schlep that much to the car much less into the bush. ( nor do I personally believe its necessary.) shelter/fire starting ( clothing)/; a means ofcollecting and purifying water, bit of food for 72 hours or so. The "need"for multiple "Weapons" is overrated. A survivor( and his family) is/are not a force recon marine (unit) with orders to probe and engage .
    IMHO: The "back pack survivalist":movie action figure hero of the 80's survival magazines has pretty much been completely discounted as unworkable here and other places..
    by all means prepare a "g-o-o-d" kit. With some basics.
    IMHO You are correct in assuming wandering refugees get sent to "camps"( for their own protection of course... please check your guns at the "intake" desk).

8. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

I'm looking into a dog harness so that hairy critter can start to pull his weight!
    (nah, just kidding!)
    I have seen packs for dogs, but I'd need a team of the Clydesdale horses to move my junk!
    I recently looked into one of those 5 gallon "survival" kits sold by the local sportsmans warehouse outlets.....
    Not what I'd prefer by any means....
    Even if it does have a porta potti lid!
    Someone once said: "lures are not designed to catch fish"...."They are designed to catch fishermen"!
    I think we may all have the same problem with a lot of the "survival" items being sold today!

9. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

Hey don't feel alone, for all my "Thoreu-ian" minimalism, I've bought bins of crap too, I'm just too lazy to try to carry it very far. I was looking at ice fishing sleds yesterday, the one nice thing about winter is you can sled quite abit of gear around.

Notice I said "You" can sled..., I'm not leaving the "man cave" until may...

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7