1. The Topic of the Month for October is "Make this the Perfect Bugout Location". Please join the discussion in the TOTM forum.

belt grinder

Discussion in 'Blades' started by mage2, Jun 6, 2008.

1. mage2

mage2 Monkey+++

2 questions with out the intent on starting a urinating contest.
    question 1.
    Anyone know of decent belt grinders for under $400? I dont mean pro grade burrking $1500, i know where to get those if i happen to win the lottery.

question 2. Anyone know of anyone or any forums where used ones are sold at a good price. I am looking to possibly pickup a used one if someone bought a upgrade.

and how is everyone doing. Its been record breaking hot here in texas.
  2. Valkman

Valkman Knifemaker Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Very few get put up for sale - most of the guys I know keep 2 or 3 grinders "in case" one goes down.

The only one I know of in that price range is the Grizzly which I started on and still have. My Bader went down once and I used the Grizzly for a while again - it sucked but I was glad it was there!

Then there's something like this, but it's more for finishing than grinding:

I did find my Bader slightly used, and with attachments it was still $1800 plus I had to spend $250 on a 10" wheel. :)
  3. mage2

mage2 Monkey+++

I have been looking at a Grizzly , that one i think even. Just checking the waters.
    How have you been Valkman?
  4. Valkman

Lots of orders, my friend, lots of orders! I need an apprentice - any takers? Then I could [boozingbuddies]while my "assistant" does all the work. Kinda like how Loveless has done it for years. [ROFL]

The Griz works as a beginning grinder but you'll want variable speed before long. It will get you makin' knives though!
  5. mage2

mage2 Monkey+++

if you plan to move to texas let me know and ill take that offer.
  6. Valkman

Try www.sheffieldssupply.com and download their catalog - in there they have a 2x72" Kalamazoo grinder that might not be bad.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary