belt grinder

Discussion in 'Blades' started by mage2, Jun 6, 2008.

1. mage2

mage2 Monkey+++

2 questions with out the intent on starting a urinating contest.
    question 1.
    Anyone know of decent belt grinders for under $400? I dont mean pro grade burrking $1500, i know where to get those if i happen to win the lottery.

question 2. Anyone know of anyone or any forums where used ones are sold at a good price. I am looking to possibly pickup a used one if someone bought a upgrade.

Thanks
    and how is everyone doing. Its been record breaking hot here in texas.

2. Valkman

Valkman Knifemaker Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Very few get put up for sale - most of the guys I know keep 2 or 3 grinders "in case" one goes down.

The only one I know of in that price range is the Grizzly which I started on and still have. My Bader went down once and I used the Grizzly for a while again - it sucked but I was glad it was there!

http://www.grizzly.com/products/Knife-Belt-Sander-Buffer/G1015

Then there's something like this, but it's more for finishing than grinding:

http://www.knifekits.com/vcom/product_info.php?cPath=49_115_207&products_id=309

I did find my Bader slightly used, and with attachments it was still $1800 plus I had to spend $250 on a 10" wheel. :)

3. mage2

mage2 Monkey+++

I have been looking at a Grizzly , that one i think even. Just checking the waters.
    How have you been Valkman?

4. Valkman

Lots of orders, my friend, lots of orders! I need an apprentice - any takers? Then I could [boozingbuddies]while my "assistant" does all the work. Kinda like how Loveless has done it for years. [ROFL]

The Griz works as a beginning grinder but you'll want variable speed before long. It will get you makin' knives though!

5. mage2

mage2 Monkey+++

Valk,
    if you plan to move to texas let me know and ill take that offer.

6. Valkman

Try www.sheffieldssupply.com and download their catalog - in there they have a 2x72" Kalamazoo grinder that might not be bad.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7