Benchmade Bugout

Discussion in 'Blades' started by Hanzo, Sep 29, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

duane, GrayGhost and UncleMorgan like this.
  2. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Looks like a great knife and at a better than usual price for Benchmade

3. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

That's what I thought. I did a forum search and did not come up with any hits. If it turns out to be a good knife, I would even get one for the wifee and monkeys. Wifee has a habit of losing things. So maybe just for the monkeys. Right now, they all carry fixed blade Mora's, Swiss Army knives, and/or multitools. The little monkey, who takes most after me, usually has all three in her bag. :)

At camp, my friend was carving something. I think he was using his Benchmade 940. I noticed that it wasn't biting as well into wood as I thought it would. So I offered him a scandi grind knife. I keep a Mora 2000 in my camp kitchen box. Right tool. It is a better carver. So the little monkey also whips out her carbon Mora. So funny. I guess if you were there...

4. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

I have a Benchmade Autoknife, valued new at $155 new.
    I got mine free. Parents were takinga neighborhood walkabout years ago, and Mom found it on the roadside. She gave it to me. Not a bad knife, except twice it opened in my pants pocket - not good! It's in my "retired collectible" stash.

duane, Hanzo and UncleMorgan like this.
  5. apache235

apache235 Monkey+++

I've got a Benchmade, but not that one.

Hanzo and UncleMorgan like this.
  6. M118LR

M118LR Caution: Does not play well with others.

Benchmade AXIS lock or SOG ARC lock, are about the best you will get for folders. I prefer the "Humvee" like feel of the Pentagon Elite's to lighter weight folders. JMO.

duane, Hanzo and UncleMorgan like this.
  7. UncleMorgan

UncleMorgan I like peeling bananas and (occasionally) people.

I have a SOG FlashII that is my main EDC. It was one of my nicer auction scores.

I bought it for about $0.50 when I bought a box of thirty-odd junk pocketknives for $15.00.

A few weren't bad knives, but the SOG was definitely the pearl among the swine.

The knife was pristine, but there was one little problem--it has (had) a safety.

"Is knife--is not supposed to be safe." (Read that with a Russian accent, then have some vodka to make your tonsils happy.)

Nothin' will make you die cryin' more than trying to fire a gun that's on safe or open a knife that's on safe,

Except, maybe, not having one of either when you need it.

Accordingly, I put Mr. SOG off safe, and filled that little switch recess slap full of JB Weld.

I must be politically incorrect. I did the same thing with my switchblade.

The clip on the handle responds well to a button hole sewn into my Every Day Pants.

It hangs above whatever else I have in my pocket, is always in the perfect position to grip, and never prints.

I can even dog-ear my pocket to show that it's empty (when it's not!) if I do it gently.

The blade opens as the handle starts to clear, and I'm instantly ready to cut my whale blubber off flush with my lips.

Or...you know...whatever...

upload_2017-9-29_22-50-30.

duane and Hanzo like this.
  8. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

I have several BM. Imhave a close friend that is a distributor so I get some deal or freebies every once in a while.

I have the Auto Adamas and its my everyday carry

Benchmade Adamas Family

duane and Hanzo like this.
  9. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Hope you retained your kibbles and bits!

Sweet! Lucky you!!

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2017
    duane likes this.
  10. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

I love this knife BUT it has a tendency to "auto open" in my front pocket. I havent gotten cut yet but I have to lock it when stowing.

Hanzo likes this.
  11. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

No damage to The Jewels, luckily. But I never trust spring assist knives to this day!

Hanzo likes this.
  12. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Well, got mine in the mail. It came really fast from Blade HQ. Most other sites have it on backorder. So here is my initial impressions.

I likey it! It is lightweight. Looks good. Feels good in the hand.

Initially, the blade play was not smooth. I loosened the hinge by about 1/8 of a turn and it loosened up. Retightened it back up about half way. And now, it is perfect. Not too loose. But easily deployed. I also like that the clip is very low profile. I don't even notice it in my pocket. But I can deploy it pretty quickly standing and seated. Will be faster after playing with it some more. This clip seats the knife the most deeply of all my knives. Comparable only to the clip on the Enzo Birk. But the Enzo weighs in at 3.2 ounces and feels heavy clipped to my pocket, versus the 1.9 ounce Bugout.

The scales have a little bit of flex to them. But I don't mind. Maybe solid carbon fiber would be awesome. But the price point as is is reasonable.

Below the stainless clip that holds my keys, Victorinox Executive and ThruNite Ti.

Many times, I am disappointed with how not sharp a new knife arrives. Fallkniven and Enzo knives generally come sharp. Victorinox and Wenger too. And so do Benchmades. The bugout came shaving sharp out of the box.

Really tiny curls on newsprint.

And the obligatory knife shots.

duane likes this.
  13. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Under the extreme zoom, I see a little wire edge. So will give is a stropping later.

14. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

The handle is small and thin, so not sure how it would be for extended use. But for EDC, perfect. My EDC knife use rarely entails extensive and extended use. If I plan on using a knife that way, I would pack the appropriate blade.

I think the Bugout is an appropriate knife for EDC since it is small and light and unobtrusive. But the blade is robust enough and large enough for daily miscellaneous tasks.

duane likes this.
  15. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

16. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

17. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Did a week or so of activities with the Bugout. They included food prep, of course. And daily tasks like opening letters and boxes. Also cut stuff. Carved some wood and did cardboard push cuts.

So after that, I noticed that the edge was still plenty sharp. But not as smooth and clean cutting as can be. So touched it up on a strop. Only did seven passes each way followed by nine alternating. Less than a minute. Back to a very smooth shaving edge.

Was able to shave curls in a strand of hair just passing the hair over the edge. I stopped before it cut through.

GrayGhost likes this.
  18. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

19. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Monkey+++

The Bugout really is a great edc tool.
    I really like the micarta scales you put on it.

duane, Hanzo and Gator 45/70 like this.
  20. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Me too. Added some rigidity to it.

Gator 45/70, duane and GrayGhost like this.
  1. Coyote Ridge
  2. Dunerunner
  3. Matei
  4. Matei
  5. norseman
    [ATTACH]
    Thread by: norseman, Mar 8, 2021, 3 replies, in forum: Blades
  6. Ganado
  7. Ganado
  8. Coyote Ridge
  9. 3M-TA3
  10. Andy the Aussie