Best barter items for SHTF

Discussion in 'Financial Cents' started by TwoCrows, Jul 6, 2012.

1. Elessar

Elessar Monkey+++

I can't imagine being able to store enough "stuff" for real bartering. I may have a few items, but my stores will be intended for survival and making them last will be the greatest challenge. It has been mentioned that coffee and cigarettes will be very valuable, but sooner or later, they go stale or will be gone. I like the idea of salt and alcohol because they are safe for long term storage, have multiple uses, and can be used as flexible currency for barter to almost anyone. Other spices would be valuable as well; pepper was a highly valued commodity for hundreds of years. Finally, knowledge will be the distinguishing factor for all those who wish to survive. Gather the right books and protect them as a long term asset. I can't possible learn everything that I will need to know that will cover every situation that may arise.

Thanks to everyone who has contributed very good information to this thread.

2. HappyPuppy

HappyPuppy Monkey

That is what I have as well. I have freeze dried coffee and booze too. I like booze ( vodka) as it has multiple uses from preventing wound infections to fuel. It is stored near by In a storage locker.

Some of this stuff I don't want tied to my home location.
    Activated Charcoal is the last trade item. From water purification to poisoning due to bad food or water.

3. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

As always, knowledge.
    Know how to extract sugar from beets? Trees? Plants?
    Know how to distill?
    Know how to make black powder?
    know how to make iron from dirt?
    know how to repair a bicycle?

the list is endless.

learn what it takes to make what you intend to barter with. teach your children the same skills. Get the tools and raw materials.

You won't go hungry.

Yard Dart and bfayer like this.
  4. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I think this could depend on the way SHTF and also the individuals situation. I know for me I keep an apartment in the city for work about 100 miles from my home. I keep some things on hand of various values for barter in case of SHTF. I would be trying to make my way home and if the roads are blocked or car is lost then some smokes or extra food for a ride or a box of ammo for a bike, a spare fire starter for some something useful or some such to get me home before things deteriorated further would be a fine thing.

I do make sure my apartment is supplied to bug in for a few weeks if it seems most prudent for a given situation and keep supplys on hand to make it home on foot if needed along with keeping home stocked up but I also keep spares of some useful stuff for barter to make getting home easier or possibly helping those less prepaired but useful/helpful folks along the way, makeing 'friends' along the way and getting karmic brownie points never hurts (if done carefuly) in my book.

tulianr and Pax Mentis like this.
  5. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

Good points...

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7