Best Budget AR15?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by AxesAreBetter, May 18, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

My PSA is my "daily driver", truck gun, grab and go gun, etc. I own a Colt and would never part with it, but the PSA is less money should something happen to it, and works identical and is just as accurate as my Colt that was $550 more (bought the Colt before there was a PSA). AR rifles are now manufactured by so many companies that build quality has become almost the same across the board. It's now a game of picking the features you want. I personally run fixed handle 16" guns because they just run, and don't run optics. If my target is past 200 meters it's either not a threat or gets a .308.

2. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

Have you had any issues with them?
    I have had 3 in here for feeding problems.
    Guy I get tractor tires from bought two, one for him and one for his wife. Wife's works great. His was a jamomatic. One day while shooting he swaps BCGs. Problem "solved". When he swapped them back the problem came back. I checked everything I could think of and finally ordered a new bolt. Hasn't had an issue since. I still don't know what exactly it was. The bolt looked fine.

Caveman Jim likes this.
  3. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

BTW - here is a great low cost BCG, one that is supplied as a replacement part to troops: TOOLCRAFT BCG .223/5.56 BOLT CARRIER GROUP BLACK 1B1B6 C-158 MPI COMPLETE

You should have a spare along with other small parts. Yes, you could just swap out the bad part in your BCG, but if you needed to do it quickly...

If I had a jam problem like above I'd try replacing the one that caused the issue as a check.

Caveman Jim and Tully Mars like this.
  4. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

I have not had any problems with them though I have not put near enough rounds thru them. Thanks for the insight on the BCG, might save a lot of time if I have a jammer in the group. Do you recall if the problem was on Sport or Sport 2 models?

Caveman Jim likes this.
  5. Tully Mars

Sport 2's

3M-TA3 likes this.
  6. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

That may explain my lack of problems. The one I have put the most rounds through was not a Sport model. I just purchased some Sport 2's for handouts so I will put some rounds down range and see. Thanks.

Tully Mars likes this.
  7. Tully Mars

[winkthumb]

Edit:
    I strongly suggest that everyone put at least 500 trouble free rounds through their weapons before they "trust" them. That is the min I use for pistols and semi auto rifles are double that.

Last edited: May 20, 2017
  8. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

I got a brand new Anderson build for 500 cash in March. Just a box of shell through it. Very nice.

9. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

I'm seeing a lot of DPMS Oracles on sale in the $400 range after a $75 rebate. Factor in a set of BUIS at a minimum. Also Ruger AR556 and S&W Sport 2's at $500 including BUIS, though plastic ones (Sport 2 has A frame front sight/gas block).

Caveman Jim likes this.
  10. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

I also bought an Oracle but paid 529.00 for it a year ago.

11. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

Last edited: May 28, 2017
    Caveman Jim, Yard Dart and Tully Mars like this.
  12. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Naw, Northwest Armory:
    upload_2017-5-28_13-30-18.

Not a real fan of the quad rail in your link, though it's a better deal with the BUIS in the package. Both have the $75 rebate to get to $400. I'd replace the furniture on either and the sights on the CDNN package anyway, so to me it's same-same.

13. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Caveman Jim and Dunerunner like this.
  14. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Caveman Jim likes this.
  15. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

A good friend and engineering manager from the armor company who,has a cnc shop builds them The next generation Bullpup Rifle

He reverserd the Remington M17 and has them in 556, 308 and I think 300BO.

I have the only left handed version. Works great.

What I like is the overall length is shorter than the AR with stock fully collapsed.

Caveman Jim likes this.
  16. Tully Mars

While I'm not a real bullpup fan (I only have one) it looks like a nice one.

17. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Looks like they prioritized the trigger - that's been my main complaint about bullpups. When I sell the Mini 14 MG a bullpup is one of the things on the list, and this one is intriguing.

Probably even better than this DIY AR bullpup, even though he spared no expense and used tactical hacksaw blades to make the linkage :eek::

Last edited: Jun 6, 2017
    Caveman Jim likes this.
  18. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

3M-TA3 likes this.
  19. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

CraftyMofo and Gator 45/70 like this.
  1. stg58
  2. Dunerunner
  3. OldDude49
  4. HK_User