Best Bullet Designs For SHTF

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by 3M-TA3, Dec 14, 2019.

1. saskcop

saskcop Monkey+++

If the s ever hits the fan, then you won't care what kind of bullet style you have - you will just want your gun to go bang when you pull the trigger. Anyone who has been on a two way firing range will tell you that when your gun goes "click" or when you feel that "lockback", all you will care about at that moment is finding another magazine in a mag pouch somewhere. Trust me on that one

2. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Due to the possibility of a misfire, and a bullet being lodged in the barrel I plan on having steel ramrods for each weapon.

Gator 45/70 and 3M-TA3 like this.
  3. Oddcaliber

Oddcaliber Monkey+++

When it does hit the fan who is going to enforce the Geniva convention rules? Duh,nobody!

4. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

One aspect of post SHTF is the lack of medical back up in which case, no matter what your hit with can become septic, even if it is a lead ball from a sling shot. during WWII japanese troops running out of lead started using wood bullets and adding Real S to it made any injury with them lethal.

The reasons I choose the 17 HMR is
    @ 2550 FPS
    zeroed @ 200 yards with a 3" pattern
    1/5th the volume of .223 , ao I can carry far more 17 HMR ammo than comparable center fire ammo.
    the report of a .22 can throw off the enemy misdiagnosing it's capability.
    almost no recoil.
    The bullet frags on impact, making more difficult to treat the wound, If there is some one treating wounds.
    Post SHTF I would build a silencer for my Marlin
    If I had to abandon every thing including all my other weaponry the .17 HMR is the one gun that goes with me.

Gator 45/70, HK_User and 3M-TA3 like this.
  5. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

I feel the same about the 5.7x28.
    Light weight, accurate,and easy to carry ammo.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  6. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

[​IMG]
    500 gr of dead soft lead.for a .58 cal.

Can be recovered and recast...

7. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Why wait?
    Get one now. Or 5 like I did.

Gator 45/70 and HK_User like this.
  8. How can anyone identify the make of those balls? I can get cal. but make? And front loaders make great sense in that those balls can be recovered, melted and recast to use again.

DKR, Oddcaliber and Gator 45/70 like this.
  9. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

At one point I owned a Ruger Old Army black powder pistol and a 45/70 single shot. Both can shoot the same ball or conical bullet. Both can use black powder. At the time, it made sense to me.

Both are gone. For where I live now, it wouldn't make any sense at all....

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  10. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

The best bullet design hands down...
    Ones you cast your self.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7