Best bushcraft blade

Discussion in 'Blades' started by Garyca, Jan 4, 2016.

1. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

Never saw a saw blade myself; however for Huey jocks they could have been useful. I mean who in a knife fight would want to be sawing bone? IMO, your "a bone saw, or more likely, as a tool" is spot on.

2. Macey81

Macey81 Monkey

The movie Rambo, in my opinion, made the concept of a "survival knife" synonymous with that of a "tactical;combat knife"

"bushcraft", at least as i know it. Is essentially the study and practice of primitive survival methods. Putting your self into situations where you can get a feel for what it takes to survive using improvised methods. Involving only enough modern equipment needed to avoid. Ending up in a genuine survival ordeal. I think its kind of evolved into a new way to camp though basically.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
  3. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

@Macey81
    I believe the word is "tact-i-cool" ;)

Personally, I'd prefer a wire saw; it's light, easy to carry, it can saw and makes a decent snare or garrotte.

4. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

I prefer a knife that can chop the whole sapling down. Haha.

Do you put toggles in it to make it an official garrotte, or do you just go garden variety tacti-ninja with it? haha.

5. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

One of my FAV discount sites has a sale on sharp things for the next week.

Check it out, Dvor is a division of Optics Planet and some of the deal are unbeatable. You have to do your research and move fast if you find something cuz the good stuff goes fast
    Clearance on Knives: Save Up To 74% Off

If you find something you like, I can provide my special code so I can get a "one time credit".

I bought a $1200 ACOG for $725 hear brand new.

There is a big sale on reloading stuff there now too

6. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

An ax or a kukuri? Both have advantages and disadvantages.

To saw the rings are needed or it's hard on the hands.

7. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Partial to anything that will do the job. I mean, I cut down fist sized saplings with a Mora Companion.
    I would like to have a traditionally made kukri, but I haven't used one in years. Last thing I bought from that neck of the woods I curled the edge using it as a machete. Made me extra leery.

8. Macey81

Macey81 Monkey

I do too. or at least with only a few clean cuts.

9. Macey81

Macey81 Monkey

10. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Never had a lot of success with wire saws, either. Could beaver chew sticks faster, and the effort! Have the rings snap off in my face before too. What brand do you use? Cause I have to have been doing something wrong. haha.

11. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

@AxesAreBetter
    I have a braided stainless steel wire type. Cutting is slow; however when something is pure manual, what isn't.

This is not a recommendation to buy; however they'e similar to what I have:
    Amazon.com : BCB Commando & Survival Wire Saw : Camping Saws : Sports & Outdoors
    This one has to be good; it says commando:
    Amazon.com : Rothco Commando Wire Saw : Camping Saws : Sports & Outdoors
    Nothing quite like tact-i-cool. huh.

If the rings are attached properly to strong braided stainless wire; there is no reason it should snap off in your face. Unless it was cheap crap.

12. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

That looks a LOT better than the ones I have had.

13. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

@AxesAreBetter
    As countless threads on the site have said; there is a lot of junk for sale. It seems we need a not to buy thread more than a what to buy thread.

Yard Dart likes this.
  14. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Heard that. I started doing youtube reviews on things I have purchased, and couldn't find any good reviews for. Add in the differences in AO, and you have some real issues getting reliable feedback. Since I don;t live in the Rockies or in Maine, I have a lot of problems with that sort of thing. Very strange AO in some ways.

Seriously, love the idea of a "Don't Buy This" or "Don;t Buy This Reviews" thread. Could probably get a sticky on that.

15. Macey81

Macey81 Monkey

One more thing too. @AxesAreBetter
    A full tang high carbon,9-10 inch (well balanced)high flat beveled piece of 1095 steel with a near 1/4 spine. Thats been forged with chromium and vanadium. And tough enough to absorb the shock of being pounded through brick for 50 repetition before breaking. With an edge retention allowing its broken pieces,in the end. To cleanly slice through a sheet of paper with hardly as much as a snag. ...A blade capable of processing wood with such efficiency as to not even need a baton. Reliable enough to process wood virtually indefinitely.

that you can choke up on so effectively. that doing fine carving tasks is easy.
    Make a shelter easily in a few hours. after a night of continuous rain huge amounts of dry wood are accessible from beneath the wet woods surface.
    given that you are talking about a parang sized knife. Youre going to feel pretty good about the fact that there is more than just kindling on the menu when you can baton through six inches. Still only someone who has no idea what they are doing is going to require a lot of repetition(like just chopping their way mindlessly through a log or even a small tree. Because its really the knowledge of how a particular tool is used. Which dictates how effective you will know it to be.

You can field dress with it. Build every trap in the book with it. carve with it. even fishhooks. chop trees down with it. ...so yeah....still, i always have my axe in a woodland situation as well. And i carry a good portable saw.

16. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

I don;t know if I have ever batoned wood looking for dry wood to burn. Never even heard of people doing that before a year ago. Going looking for that kind of wood around here will see you dead and cold before you find it (and it'll get wet as fast as you find any dry wood, splitting it out like that.) I take it that is normal out west?

17. Macey81

Macey81 Monkey

You can obtain dry wood in a rain forest batoning. You can feather the wood for tinder, split fine pieces for kindling. And create a fire hot enough to dry would to burn,
    "I don;t know if I have ever batoned wood looking for dry wood to burn" I have,
    well if you are ever in a woodland survival situation. Its a skill you may want to know.

18. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Yeah, I mean, why not. Just not something I've ever needed to know. Interesting.

I actually had to go on a search trying to figure out why batoning was such a big deal to people to learn anything about this sort of thing.

19. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Sometimes, you just have to stop screwing around with one blade.... you have to define the job.... and have the proper tools within your kit for the job!!!!

IMG_0736.JPG

AD1, kellory and Ganado like this.
  20. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Nice craft ax. What's the weight? Nothing wrong with that 'chete either. How's the handle work out? You power housing with hammer grip, or SE Asian finger flick?

Yard Dart likes this.
  1. chelloveck
  2. chelloveck
  3. chelloveck
  4. Coyote Ridge
  5. Coyote Ridge
  6. Dunerunner
  7. Matei
  8. Matei
  9. norseman
    [ATTACH]
    Thread by: norseman, Mar 8, 2021, 3 replies, in forum: Blades