Best Dogs?

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by watchfullmom, Sep 30, 2011.

1. watchfullmom

watchfullmom Monkey+

We lost our dog to our daughter moving, so now we need a new one. I want one that will be loyal, good with my granddaughter, not eat my chickens and will be protective. Any suggestions? Or can any fairly big dog be trained to do this? I want one that will be ok if left outside, we live in the country and it does snow. Need a tough one!
    Thanks for any suggestions.

2. Sapper John

Sapper John Analog Monkey in a Digital World

A well trained Lab would be a good choice,very protective of it's family(you) and very territorial,but with a gentle streak a mile wide for those they love and protect...just my two cents.

larryinalabama likes this.
  3. goinpostal

goinpostal Monkey+++

Research breeds,and find the ones with the qualities you seek.
    Then go to the pound and pick one thats a cross of those breeds.
    Mutt's tend to live longer healthier lives with fewer defects than purebreds.
    It's the moral thing to do to save a pup from walking the green mile,instead of supporting a puppy mill.
    Matt

4. snowbyrd

snowbyrd Latet anguis in herba

I have had dogs from Great Danes to Chihhuas (sp) and found that the pound puppies/mutt dogs are usually good to great ones. I agree with postal, do some research and get a cross breed.
    Mostly it is the training of the 'new kid' that matters. Outside in the winter your gonna need one with good thick coat. Make sure there is good shelter from the wind and good dry beding. But then again, you've had a dog before.....

jm6387 likes this.
  5. beast

beast backwoodsman

of all the dog breeds ive ever had, the absolute best was aussie sheperd/border collie cross
    great with the kids and wife, protected even my truck when they were in it
    fast as hell, regular wall bouncers if you lockd them in for long
    great herders with all my livestock
    lol, the bitch used to let the chicks curl up with her pups against her belly
    damn i miss that dog
    i wish they had longer lifespans

6. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

We just added a Rottweiler/Lab (75/25 mix) 11 weeks old and is the best behaved puppy i've ever had.

Freaking smart, learns very fast. Both breeds very loyal in my research

I went with a female a little less agressive but still territorial and family orientated.

As for not eating the chickens, well we are going to have to work on that. She will have to be trained that they are not for playing with nor eating. Gets along with the goat but she is very very intersted in the chicken ducks and turkeys.
    [touchdown]

The training of larger breed dogs is going to be very important especially if they are to be used as security/protection. If you can not control the dog , bad things could happen.

Skip corndogs.

tulianr likes this.
  7. MastiffLady

MastiffLady Monkey+

I'm kinda partial to the Mastiff. Big, goofy, nice to chickens, and loves family so much that gaurding comes naturally.

Minuteman likes this.
  8. beast

beast backwoodsman

best waay to break a dog of killin chickens ive ever found is to hold the dead chicken by its legs, let the wings flap as it swings, and beat the dog with it til all you have left is the feet

bgner and kjm like this.
  9. ozarkgoatman

ozarkgoatman Resident goat herder

The best dogs I've ever had is St. Benards. They are loyal as can be, are strong if you need it to pull a cart. They are very smart and easy to train, on top of that their size scares the #&!! out of people. We got the ones we have now when our daughter was about 3y/o and they have never been rough with her, and have never looked at her mean when she has been rough enough with them to get her back side swatted. When someone comes to the house they let it be know that they are not happy about their presence. I do believe that they will be the last type of dog we own.

BWM

10. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

I live in the woods so My Pitts come from bear hunting stock; long legged, 85-90 pounds and lightning fast.

11. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

I currently have 3 Rottweilers that consistently amaze me with their capacity for gentleness, their ferociousness and their intelligence in knowing which characteristic is called for in a given situation.

I grew up with a Boxer who was a sweet and loving member of the family, yet became an absolute terror when she perceived a threat to one of "her people".

I would really love to find a Rottie/Boxer mix.

VisuTrac likes this.
  12. Nutpantz

Nutpantz Monkey+

I got my mom a lab cross mutt.he is training well.he sleeps just out side her door and checks anyone walking near the house all hours of the night and day.barks like mad if anyone looks wrong (how does he know?). He could be an outdoor dog but he will bond and guard better indoors and not to mention live 5 years longer.

jm6387 likes this.
  13. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

ger_shep_evolution_mousepad.
    Super smart thinkers.
    Radar ears.
    Blood hound nose.
    Very Loyal.
    Handles the cold and warm days.
    mine loves Kids of all ages, plays daily with a 2 and 4 year old Girls.
    Warning, do not make the kids cry with my dog near.....

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2013
    VisuTrac, Sapper John and BTPost like this.
  14. GrandpaDave

GrandpaDave Monkey++

Right now I'm looking for an Irish Setter or Collie for my granddaughter... We had both breeds when my kids were little... both great with kids and protective... but they have kind of fallen out of favor these days... so pups are hard to come by

15. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

Any well trained dog will never bother your chickens but most will address anything which does bother them. When I was a kid we had chickens, ducks, rabbits and bred bird dogs with no problems.
    Almost all dogs are protective; it what you want the dog to be capable of doing to protect is the real question. I've owned Dobermans and Pitts for forty years and bird dogs for 20. Any of them could put an ouch on someone; but that isn't their job.

16. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Yep our rott/lab x has turned out to be a good choice. 15 weeks old. Doesn't care about the chickens, turkeys, ducks other than it sits on the hill and watches them.

Good Jazz. Wife has found an additional use for the dog, take it out in the morning to do its job, then toss her on the bed to wake up dad and then i take the dog to the boys bedroom, lift the covers , release the hound, and run for the door.

Great alarm clock.

bgner likes this.
  17. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

Personally, since most ( not all) breeds are inbred so badly, I prefer a "Heinz 57 varieties...." Had very decent intelligent and loyal dogs from scrap breeds...
    (The best I've ever had was from a Dam that was a full sized Collie, and a Sire that was a mix of German Shepard and Boxer..Looked identical to a Doberman, but NICER!)
    Or, a large 'gator painted yellow? ( old yeller?)

larryinalabama likes this.
  18. Falcon15

Falcon15 Falco Peregrinus

Best dog I ever had was a mixed breed German Shepherd/Alaskan Malamute. Smart as a whip, strong as all get out, loyal, gentle, and very, very fierce in a fight. She could jump over five foot fences and climb 8' chain link fences. Never had a better dog.

19. mrmike487

mrmike487 Monkey+

Best dog for your family

Good Dog to get are the following: Golden Retriever,Labrador,Australian Shepherd,Cocker Spaniel,Poodle,English Bulldog,Boxer Dog,Whippet,Beagle.
    As far as the chicken eating you need to train right away. Here is an old school method.If a dog is guilty of freshly killing a chicken or is caught in the act, tie the dead fowl to one end of the dog's lead and leave the two together for 24 hours. The dog will form a negative association to the dead fowl. This technique is still used effectively by farmers today. This website has lots of info and unique
    things for dogs.

Hope that help.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

20. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

That would take some pretty verifiable proof dragonfly :D

pups1a.

Mighty Ninja.JPG

Taj All Grown Up.JPG

3112a.

Puppy Love.JPG

Taj as a baby.JPG

Ninja and Taj Share Bowl.JPG
    pups1a. Mighty Ninja.JPG Taj All Grown Up.JPG 3112a. Puppy Love.JPG Taj as a baby.JPG Ninja and Taj Share Bowl.JPG

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7