Best Dogs?

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by watchfullmom, Sep 30, 2011.

1. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I see his target acquisition gear is aimed right at the cameraman. [beer]

2. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Good looking dog there Quig, wish we lived closer, our GS dogs could have some good looking pups.

Quigley_Sharps likes this.
  3. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

they sure would.

4. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

sounds like a perfect reason for a road trip - just have to time it for E.L.'s beautiful girl

E.L. likes this.
  5. Quigley_Sharps

Not a bad idea, I need to pay a Visit to Texas been a few years.

E.L. likes this.
  6. alaskachick

alaskachick A normally quiet snow monkey

Just make sure to visit Texas Nov.- maybe March.....It was HOT down there in July ;)
    For me my best dogs were 2 "mutts" husky/lab mix. They were smart, could live outside in the cold, would point on the grouse, and LOVED to chase bears. They would tag-team them. It was such great sport for them......ahhhhh I feel a story for the blog coming on ;)

Quigley_Sharps and BTPost like this.
  7. GrandpaDave

GrandpaDave Monkey++

My wife's got herself one of those little pekingese dogs... Likes to hide under tables or the sofa when company comes over.... Damn thing is like a Parana the way it darts out to take a bite out of your calf....

I hate to say it but it was damned funny watching my daughters boyfriend hopping around like crazy trying not get nipped again...

BTW I hate that little dog... but he does have his uses...

8. jreb357

jreb357 Monkey+

Rottweilers, Labs

The best dogs I've ever had were Rottwielers and Black Labs. Both are smart, loyal, good with children, and great watch dogs. Not sure about the chickens though. You may have a problem there!!

jreb357
    survivaldisasterplan.com

9. kjm

kjm Monkey

I've noticed that farmers in South Africa and Zimbabwe prefer Rhodesian Ridgebacks. Not a common breed here, but the single most intimidating dog I've ever known. Not sure how they are with children, but I do know they like the taste of trespassers and thugs. The Belgian Malinois is also a very aggressive and defensive dog. They look similar to a German Shepherd Dog.

I've had 4 German Shepherds and never had a bad one. You can trust your kids with them. They are loving and affectionate with just enough protective instinct to help you sleep better at night.

I currently have a mutt I got off of Craigs list. She is a 3 way mix between Great Pyrenese, Chow and Blue Heeler. She has been the easiest dog I've ever trained. She poops way out in the pasture so I've never (not even when she was a puppy) had to clean her mess. She only pee'd in the house twice (not counting submissive peeing). She did try to eat a chicken so I beat her sensless with the carcass of the bird. In the process of beating her, the rythmic compressions must have jump-started the chicken's heart, because after I tossed the carcass a few yards away, the bird got up and ran off. I still have that rooster and he is fine. The dog hasn't tried to kill anymore chickens.

bgner, Suerto and Quigley_Sharps like this.
  10. tulianr

tulianr Don Quixote de la Monkey

I have a Belgian Shepherd (Malinois), along with several other dogs; and the Malinois seem to require a great deal of patience, if my dog is any indicator of the breed. She's a year old now, and still acts like a three-month old puppy. She has, so far, proven herself nearly impossible to train. I'm hoping that as she matures, she'll settle down.

She also chews and/or eats everything she can get her little teeth on, in spite of having every chew toy and rawhide chew known to man. She's gone through countless shoes, a couple of chairs, a couple of rugs; and after being banished to the yard for her chewing, waited until I left my lawn mower unattended, and attacked. In the amount of time it took me to walk around the house and pick up the gasoline jug and return to the front yard, she had chewed the pull cord off of my lawn mower. Sometimes, carrying a weapon about the house and property, as I do, is a dangerous temptation; because I really considered shooting that dog.

chelloveck likes this.
  11. Quigley_Sharps

My Shepherd requires daily runs/ walks to keep excessive energy down. Not sure if that will help you or not, but my hunter runs 2-3 miles a day.

12. kjm

kjm Monkey

I worked with malinois when I helped with the Sheriff's office training of dogs. They are every bit as stubborn as you make them out to be. I do know that the cops tended to prefer them for the reasons you are having trouble. Once trained, they were just great dogs. They protect the things they're supposed to protect and do it vigorously. GSD's are just a bit more docile. Even the German imports are more docile than the Malinois. Be patient. The best old dogs were typically the worst puppies. An inquisitive mind in your pup will be the thing that endears you to the dog she will become. I love all dogs, but you have a good one.

tulianr and Quigley_Sharps like this.
  13. tulianr

tulianr Don Quixote de la Monkey

I feel like giving her a good run, while chasing her with my car on some days. Hopefully you guys are right, and with some more patience and training, she can turn from being a liability to an asset.

14. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Monkey+

My Golden/Chow mix came from the humane society. She is 13 now, we got her just at a year, she was beaten. She has turned out to be the most loyal and well behaved dog we have ever had. Not a good guard dog though, she's just too damn nice. Perhaps if she had not been abused before we got her... I'll try for a GS next time but I'll probably get what ever they have up for adoption. Mutts normally turn out fine.

15. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I'm with Quig, we have to physically wear out our German Shepherd, but it's good for us as well. My wife has never been a dog person, but she has fallen in love with Sasha. She just turned one last week. She needs a challenge so we play games with her, and she loves to fetch. I would like to find a K9 officer that would be willing to do some serious training with her.

16. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I have a 12 legged golden weinermon pincher with three tongues but only two tails unless you count a stub. They were initially three separate dogs but have since morphed into one tremendously frightening and loud beast.

Pax Mentis and Tracy like this.
  17. Jeff Brackett

Jeff Brackett Monkey+++

I have a Catahoula/Husky mix. Very loyal, loud barker, but too skittish (got her from rescue & she had been abused). Makes a great alarm, though. :)

She got me interested in Catahoulas, though. They are working dogs (aka Louisiana Leopard Dogs or Catahoula Curs) used for hunting wild hogs. When/if I ever get a larger yard, my better half and I want to get one or two full blooded 'houlas. This dog is the best dog I've ever had. There are plenty of Catahoula rescue sites that often can get you one for no more than the cost of shots and a small donation.

If you're interested in seeing them at work, there are plenty of vids on Youtube. Just understand that the hunting videos are true to life. While the 'houla can be a very affectionate and loving dog, they are also a working breed, and their job is to hunt and kill. That means some of the vids are not for the squeamish.

18. Suerto

Suerto Monkey+

Growing up, we bred and "showed" them (they used to have catahoula working dog shows in Denham Springs, LA).. They are high energy pups similar to labs, if you don't work them, they will destroy your yard and chew everything available..

They are basically a larger version of a heeler (as far as character and purpose), my dad's fav was 110lbs with a square head like an american pit bull dog (little rascals) his name was cocodrie' (alligator in cajun), his grandmother took down a wild hog solo, losing an eye and leg..

Ensure to have plenty of time to expend their energy, as, they are "working" dogs..
    just FYI

We have a Dane, mastiff mix, and chihuaha.. the chihuaha sounds the alarm, and the other 2 snap to attention.
    Once we get settled after the move, we're probably gonna get some GS mixes for the colder altitude..

I got my dane cuz he reminded me of my first catahoula I had..
    "leapord" print.. ccc
    dogs.

19. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Don't know if T-Bella is the best dog...
    But she does love her water and pool...lol
    4-30-12 water polisher 001.JPG 4-30-12 water polisher 002.JPG 4-30-12 water polisher 003.JPG 4-30-12 water polisher 005.JPG

Quigley_Sharps likes this.
  20. Mechwolf

Mechwolf Monkey+

I have a husky /wolf mix he's as loyal as they come. A bit skittish around firearms. He is a great deterrent for his looks only because he is a giant lap dog

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7