Best firearm for a woman

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by CopperSky, Feb 7, 2011.

1. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Taurus International Manufacturing Inc
    the New Taurus Curve

Ad says....
    The world's first and only curved firearm engineered to fit the unique contours of your body, Taurus Curve™ is one ultra-comfortable, ultra-reliable personal defense handgun.

Nice ad campaign

2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

The BEST Handgun for ANY Particular Woman, is the one that fits HER Hand, "Like a Well Worn Glove" and is a natural, "Point and Aim" when in her hand. The Best Caliber is the one that does NOT cause her to "Flinch" just thinking about the Round going off. Both these criteria can and will change, as the woman, acquires experience, with HandGuns. Best to start SMALL, and slowly over time work up to what is comfortable for her Size and Wrist Strength....

AlaskaChick started out with a small .380ACP Lama SemiAuto.. and graduated to my 9mm Browning HiPower, in about a year, or so. Then she tried her Dads, Dan Wesson .38Spl/.357Mag, and was surprised with the lack of Recoil, when shooting .38Spl Loads. I bought her he own Dan Wesson Stainless Pistol Pak, soon there after, and within a few months was shooting Heavy .357Mag Loads, with no issues. She put PackMeyr Grips on the Pistol, that were a nice fit for her Hand. She tried the S&W Model 29 44Mag, but that was to much Gun, for her Wrists, as she could only fire a dozen rounds before it started to hurt. HOWEVER, NO ONE ever wants to be out in front of Her, if she is Angry, when she is shooting the M29 44 Mag, and inside 100Yds. That lady is a "Dead Shot" at that range, with that Weapon..... She consistently out shoots me with a Handgun, but with a LongGun, I am the better shooter.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2015
  3. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

One thing is that we see TV too much... Everyone flinch the 1st time they fire a weapon... The 1st time I shot a 306 at 14.... My mom told me to press it firmly into my shoulder cuz there would be kick back and she didn't want me to bruise my shoulder.

4. D2wing

D2wing Monkey+

My daughters like my 20 gauge over under a lot. It is light short and kick isn't too bad. I used to have shortened 500 that was ok too. Some women do not like shotguns at all. Too much kick and not much range.
    It depends on your plans. An AR suits most women really well especially the adjustable stock, light weight and high effective range for the minimal kick. An AK is ok but they tend to be front heavy and hard for smaller women to aim. My girls also liked a 30-30 level action a lot. Probably the favorite. If they are really recoil sensitive a pistol cartridge is good but lack power and range. I bought a Tikka T3 that is a great rifle in high power. Mine is in 7-08 that hardly kicks at all. Weatherby makes a youth model in .243 or .223 that would be sweet for a lady. I disagree that is 22lr is too small, but it depends on what you want to do. Is there someplace you can let her shoot some guns so she can see what she likes?
    It depends on if you are in an urban setting, woods? Defense or hunting etc.

Ganado, kellory and Motomom34 like this.
  5. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Mine like lever guns and a k98 in 8mm Mauser...

Ganado likes this.
  6. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

wife likes a .243 and a .270 for rifles... and a 12 ga for a shotgun... 5'2' and a weights enough to be lovable... I'm not stupid!

Ganado likes this.
  7. BlueDuck

BlueDuck Monkey+++

I am thinking you first need to decide what you expect to use the gun for. To feed yourself or to defend yourself. Big game or small game or both. One gun can do it all, but some things not very well. A .22 is great for small game and maybe medium sized game, but on the wimpy side for self defense. A 30-30 or .308 is much better for defense and larger game, but pretty heavy handed for the smaller stuff. There are several calibers in between that can work a little better on all the tasks mentioned, but it basically comes down to picking the right tool for the job. Sorta like comparing a tack hammer with a framing hammer. Both will do the job, just not very well. Id suggest two guns. A .22 and a larger caliber rifle or a shotgun. Maybe all three.

Ganado likes this.
  8. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

SAVAGE M-24, 22 LR. OVER 410 GA. EXC. COND. - Savage Combination Guns

If only these could be made as a semi auto, they would be most welcome in my hands. They are very good for hunting, with the selective load, but would not do well for self defense due to only one or two shots. .410ga is legal for small and large game, and will take deer with ease (I've done it). It will also take a .45cal.

Ganado likes this.
  9. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Are these a little shorter like a saddle riffle? I used to have a 38 pistol and the saddle rifle used same bullets. We carried when riding Fence or doing round up.... My ignorance is showing as the only thing I knowing about guns is what I either use or have used... IM kind of simple like that... If it works why change....

10. kellory

You can use pistol ammo in a rifle with less performance than the rifle is capable of, but no ill effects I know of. But not a great idea to run rifle ammo through a pistol. Rifle ammo generally has a larger powder charge (so I'm told) and would over stress the pistol frame. I intend to get a "mare's leg" for that reason. It is in essence, a rifle cut down as a pistol, and can handle rifle ammo, but is legally a pistol. In that way, pistol and rifle could share ammo without ill effects to either.

Ganado likes this.
  11. madmax

madmax Far right. Bipolar. Veteran. Don't push me.

I started my wife (50's) on a 22 lever action. She's ready mentally for a carry permit. She wants a 38 special (she likes the band... eye roll here). I'm thinking more a .380.

12. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Max you make me laugh.... Get her what she will use =) suggestion if I may..... ask her to test out both before you buy and talk about it like shopping... You don't buy cloths with out trying them on....... This will appeal to the instinct of her undisclosed, inner cave woman to shop before you buy. [emoji87]

13. madmax

Thanks for the input. I don't really tell my wife what to do at all. She sometimes asks for some guidance. Sorry as it is.

14. kellory

I would suggest, a trip to the local shooting range, and rent a couple of different guns for her to try out for real, then see what she prefers, and why. It also helps to have a range "pro" discuss options. Women often listen to a third party easier than a loved one..(just my [2c] worth)

Ganado and BTPost like this.
  15. D2wing

D2wing Monkey+

The OP is asking about shotguns and rifles. No pistols. I really don't see how a pistol caliber rifle makes sense anyway. Kinda like using a dump truck to haul one bag of grass seed. If you are going to lug around a rifle how about using a rifle cartridge. I know people like them, I don't understand why. After all if you want low recoil you can use a .223 and have way more effectiveness. To me a 30-30 was always a good idea.

16. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

The OP ASKED THE QUESTION OVER 4 years ago, and the Thread was resurrected just two Days ago, so the small thread creep, by adding Pistols to the mix, seems appropriate Now.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
    ghrit and Ganado like this.
  17. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Sounds like me. I wanted a revolver- this: Product: Model 686 Loved shooting it and it felt right. The men (no offense) I talked with, kept suggesting a semi auto. I ended up getting a .380 and I do not care for it.The upside on the .380 is that anyone in the family can use it, even the youngest could work the slide. I should have got what I wanted. Some think more rounds and slapping in a new mag is the way to go. A friend of mine smashed his hand, wrist and forearm. He pointed out that he couldn't work a slide with his cast but he could fire his revolver.

Ganado and oldawg like this.
  18. madmax

I'll take to a private range and let her shoot some more calibers. She did well with a 20g. Her best friend hunts with a 308 single shot.

whispered. Maybe she'll like an AR15 in .223. :)

Ganado and kellory like this.
  19. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

She will love it. Nice man at the shooting range let me shoot his and it was perfect. I am a little person and it wasn't too much gun for me. If she doesn't like it because it is one of those ugly scary black guns, tell her they come in pink also.

Ganado and kellory like this.
  20. madmax

Wait a minute... I want another scary ugly black gun to shoot. And while I'm secure in my manhood... I'm not whipping out a pink weapon at even (or especially) the private range..

LOL.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7