Best firearm for a woman

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by CopperSky, Feb 7, 2011.

1. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Why not?;) the bad guys will be laughing so hard, it will upset their aim! You really would be much safer with a hot pink one;)

Ganado likes this.
  2. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

For a rifle that is handy, light and accurate out to 100 yards ... perfect for self defense and game up to deer size... my personal favorite is the M-1 Carbine... YMMV

BTPost likes this.
  3. gunbunny

gunbunny Never Trust A Bunny

The biggest selling point of a pistol caliber carbine is that your sidearm and rifle use the same ammunition. In 9mm, while shooting 124gr bullets out of a pistol will generally get you about 1100 fps. Out of the longer barrel of a rifle chambered for 9mm, you can achieve 1400fps with the right loads, putting it into the realm of .357 magnum in terms of power.

The idea is not unfounded and without some merits, but I tend to agree with others here that the benefits may not be worth it unless carrying the same ammunition is by necessity and not by choice. I've tried several rifles in pistol calibers: 9mm, 38/357, 40 S&W, 45acp. You have to be proficient in their use and understand the limitations and ballistics of the pistol bullet if using them for longer ranges (100-150yards), as they have a ballistic profile like that of a rainbow.

45acp is really bad in that aspect. If 45 acp is your thing, and you reload, I would suggest using a rifle caliber that uses the same bullet- like .45acp pistol and a .450 bushmaster chambered rifle. That way, you get better ballistics (still not the greatest) and can still share some functionality. I'm not suggesting this combo for any one person, just pointing out alternatives.

D2wing likes this.
  4. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Just a NOTE, here: As GB intimates above, Pistol and Rifle Ammunition in the same Cartridge can be used in both weapons. The caveat is that Pistol Loads will be underpowered in a Rifle or Carbine, and Rifle & Carbine Loads will certainly be Heavy Loadings for ANY Pistol. Yes, they may function, and throw Lead "Down Range" , HOWEVER, Accuracy will certainly suffer when used in the wrong weapon. The Rifle & Carbine Loadings fired from a Pistol, will not have burnt ALL the Powder by the time the Projectile leaves the Barrel, creating a TERRIBLE Muzzle Flash, that may do two things, that are a detriment in SHTF Night Senerios. First, is Night Vision Loss, due to excessive Muzzle Flash, and Second, is Position Give Away due to Muzzle Flash. It is better to have the right Loadings for the specific Weapon, and operation, but ANYTHING, in the chamber, is better than NOTHING in the chamber, and as a result, leaving one to Throwing Rocks.

5. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Agreed that same caliber in a hg and a rifle not as effective and it depends on your circumstances.... They are great for fence riding.... Low weight, less to manage and As I'm not out to kill a bear.... Mostly coyotes, snakes and Prairie dogs ..... It works... If I was thinking tactical.... Which I'm not well versed in... Then I'm guessing a totally different scenario applies

6. BTPost

Do you use Shot Loads for Snakes? Yates & Prairie Dogs should be a Carbine or Rifle shot....

7. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Horseback I only carry 38 pistol and an old 38 saddle rifle. I'm sure they is better gear but I know and understand the limits of these two.

8. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

I run a '73 repro in .45Lc. Nothing wrong with a tool that ain't broke.

9. BTPost

They make really nice Snake Loads with Shot, in 38 Spl. You could put 2 of those in the First two chambers in the Revolver, and regular Projectiles in the other 4 Holes. Gives you a better outcome, on snakes, from Horseback.

Ganado likes this.
  10. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

I never thought of that... Hmm..... Time to go shopping =)

11. madmax

madmax Far right. Bipolar. Veteran. Don't push me.

No shot loads. It may be an effective pest control, but I just use a machete

Ganado likes this.
  12. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Big sharp objects and herding cattle not a good combo... IM so short have to wear in a back sheath... That's not gonna happen...

13. madmax

madmax Far right. Bipolar. Veteran. Don't push me.

Been awhile since I've been on the farm. Hope to get back soon.

14. D2wing

D2wing Monkey+

Ok, in that case I misspoke. If I were going for a pistol carbine it would be .44 Mag or .357 as lower energy cartridges are not legal for deer here. The advantage to me would be you could cast lead bullet and reload them. I used to cast for .38 and .357.

15. BTPost

Or maybe 44-40, or 45 Long Colt... Both were originally Black Powder Cartridges... Designed as the original Pistol/Carbine/Rifle combined Ammunition....

16. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

.45 LC is perfectly legal and more than adequate within 50-75 yards.

17. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Rules vary by state, and change a bit every hunting season.

18. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

I meant here. My bad.

kellory likes this.
  19. D2wing

D2wing Monkey+

Yes, those are not legal here, nor is .30 carbine. Even a shotgun slug at 1600 fps drops so fast at 125 yards that is all the farther ballistic charts go. Realistic range for pistol cartridges is tops 100 yards and that is pushing it. I suppose there will guys posting about how there .45 will know over a deer at 300 yards but to me that ranks somewhere between inhuman and unlikely. I recommend 1000 fpe and at least 12 inch penetration and reasonable bullet drop. When a bullet drops several inches every 25 yards and most people can't tell the difference between 75 and 125 yards much less 175 and 200 hits are unlikely plus bullet performance can be iffy. So be careful to know what you want to do with the cartridge before you pick it. Hitting a walking deer 250 yards is easy with a .243 or .223. Nearly impossible with a slug BP or pistol cartridge plus the poor bullet performance at those ranges. Well the .223 depends a lot on bullet selection an placement beyond 200 yards too. But hits are no problem.
    But within 75-100 yards I would be confident with them.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7