Best gun you ever owned?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by wrc223, Dec 15, 2011.

Tags:
  1. wrc223

wrc223 Monkey+

Figured the other thread gained a lot of attention so I thought one about the best gun you ever owned was in order.
    Even though I pondered this for quite some time, I would not ask for just that ONE gun. I figured I would divide it into three categories. Pistol, Shotgun, and Rifle.
    For me it is the following,
    Pistol - Dan Wesson Valor 1911 (great quality and always hits where I want!)
    Shotgun - Winchester 1300 made back in the late 70's (I can repeatedly shoot bowling pins at 100meters with a smoothbore barrel and a bead sight with winchester 1oz lead slugs)
    Rifle - Ruger No.1 in .270Win. with a Leupold VX-III 4-12x50. (I can shoot soda cans all day long at 300meters and I have put more venison away thanks to that rifle than I can keep track of....4 this year alone)

kellory, ExHelot and BTPost like this.
  2. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

My Belgian FN Browning HiPower in 9MM... is the Best Handgun I have ever owned. then the following in each category....
    My Winchester 1300 Stainless with extended Tube Mag.
    My Marlin 338 LeverGun in 30-30
    My .50 Cal Hawkin Flintlock with the 34" Green Mountain Barrel
    My .44 Cal Ruger Old Army Stainless

Then comes Mommas favorites.....

Dan Wesson .357 Stainless PistolPak
    Belgian Browning Auto-5 12 Ga. with Plug removed
    Winchester 94 Saddle Ring Carbine in 30-30
    USA-Mi Carbine in 30M1 with 30rd Mag
    Ted Fellows .50 Cal CapLock Mountain Rifle with 36" Green Mountain Barrel
    .45 cal Tower FlintLock Pistol

alaskachick likes this.
  3. Alpha Dog

Alpha Dog survival of the breed

Glock 19 9mm
    Springfield 1911 45ACP
    Mossberg 590A 12ga
    Stag AR15
    Winchester 30/30 Mod 94

BTPost likes this.
  4. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Model 63 Winchester .22
    1956 Colt Woodsman .22
    Colt Python
    National match M14
    Model 12 Winchester Pump
    Colt 1911 Gold Cup

5. Redneck Rebel

Redneck Rebel Monkey++

Daniel Defense M4v3
    Stag Model 2T
    Pair of Keltec SU16c's

All function flawlessly. Only nitpick I have is that the SU16's heat up fast, but thats not a biggie as their roll is lightweight shoot and scoot defensive weapons rather than extended fire fights.

6. surplus-addict

surplus-addict Monkey+

My Remington Model 41P in 22. It was my great-grandpa's, grandpa's, and my fathers. I will never, EVER part with it. Still the most accurate rifle I have too.

7. Espada

Espada Monkey+

Argentine Navy Colt 1911 .45 (an early commercial Colt in all but the markings; same serial numbers on seven parts, hand fitted)

Browning Light Twelve Auto-5 (FN Liege)

Win. Model 70 Featherweight .243 (bought at a base exchange in Panama, 1963, for $93... didn't know then there were going to be "post '64" Winchesters... tack drivin' mutha.

8. STANGF150

STANGF150 Knowledge Seeker

Glock 36 .45acp only 2 malfunctions in first 5,000 rounds. Lost count of the rounds fired since then, no malfunctions either

Rifle would be my Marlin .22LR Think a Model 336 or is it 60, the tube fed one. Fun & Accurate.

Shotgun would be my old Singleshot 20 gauge bought at Walmart. Fires everything I feed it, never been cleaned. Rust in the barrel, shoot it a few times to clean it out LoL

9. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

Pre 64 Mod 70 375 H&H mag
    Steyr FNFAL

Colt 1911 45 acp
    Browning Buck Mark Varmint

Ruger Red Label 12 g
    Weatherby Centurion 12 g

I gave two each because they were dead heat tied in each type.
    I have had and still have many excellent firearms but these were the best of the best in fit ,finish and accuracy and quality.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Hand guns
    Revolver Colt Trooper mk III
    Revolver rim fire H&R 999
    Semi Auto Rim fire 1934 Unique Olympic Grade .22 semi auto
    Semi Auto Colt combat commander with wilson comp kit

Shotguns
    Pump winchester Model 12 12g
    Semi auto Remington model 58 12g
    Fox s/s 20g

Rifle
    Ruger 10/22
    Bolt Parker Hale 1400 in .308 with zweiss 3x9x40
    semi auto .30 M-1 carbine (IBM)

Black Powder
    .50 Hawken replica (dixie arms)
    .44 remington 1858

11. jungatheart

jungatheart Beginner's Mind

Best gun ever for me is my CZ452 Ultra Lux .22LR. Very accurate out of the box, inexpensive and deathly quiet with subsonic loads.

12. Cephus

Cephus Monkey+++ Founding Member

The one I have in my hand when I need it most !

tulianr and Motomo like this.
  13. Georgia_Boy

Georgia_Boy Monkey+++

Of my guns, my three favorites are:
    1. 1913 DWN P08 Luger with holster (all seriel numbers match) It shoots like a dream. I wouldn't shoot any +p or +p+ rounds or any hollow points but modern fmj stuff runs great. It is very easy to hit metal 6" targets at 50 yds.
    2. Ruger .17 HMR which is a terror on varmints out to about 150 yds. I'd like to put a suppressor on it to quiet the report. Can hardly keep the grandkids away from it. They laugh at water filled soda cans blowing up better'n the 22s.
    3. A 25cal. Mauser that fits in the palm of my hand. A real snake killer.

14. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

"Best" can mean many different things to different people, or even the same person in different circumstances.
    Accuracy?
    Reliability?
    Looks?
    Feels good in the hand?
    Just flat out interesting?

I have too many to have any true 'be all-end all' BEST gun.
    But I do have some favorites in their classes.....

.22 rifle - BSA International Mk.II Martini match rifle - with a mis-matched 'Smelly" multi-aperture peep rear sight on self-made mount and HUGE Al Freeland globe front sight modified with fine wire cross-hairs, it's the only .22R rifle that allows me to make consistent 100 yard sub-one-inch groups without a scope!

.22 Pistol - my fifties-era Whitney Wolverine, the original Alcoa wonder pistol! Not my best shooter, but it's the one that goes to the range far most often - it's got the most comfy grip I have ever felt in a pistol, a real 'natural pointer'. A good attention getter too.

Centerfire Pistol - Have to say, my Russian Nagant revolver! Just too danged much fun to load for and shoot. Great little plinker. I stocked enough .32-20 brass and .312 cast lead bullets to last my lifetime.

Milsurp Rifle - Swiss K31 - 'Match-grade' accuracy, weird design, good conversation starter.

Hunting Rifle - my 'new to me' Remington Model Seven in .308Win. My buddy Bob traded it to me, as he has switched his deer hunting to the identical rifle in a short magnum caliber. This baby turns out to LOVE my 165 grain handloads! Low felt recoil for the caliber too.

Shotgun - my old Remington 870 in 16 gauge - a real 'squirrel machine', tight pattern out of it's Full Choke 30 inch non-vent-ribbed barrel - first gun I ever ordered the way I wanted it, about thirtyfive years ago!.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  15. Motomo

Motomo Monkey+

s&w model 66 .357 & colt anaconda .44 were my favorite revolvers.

16. squiddley

squiddley Monkey+++

High powered rifle is a Remington model seven in a 308,best rim fire is a Remington nylon 66,best shotgun is a tossup between a Remington 1100 and a Browning A500r,best pistol is a Ruger P-90 in 45 acp.

17. flyboy207

flyboy207 Monkey+

shotgun
    remington 1100 semi auto
    rifle
    savage 270

18. Dogfood

Dogfood Monkey+++

1992 west German Sig P226
    Sig 551
    USMC contract over-run Mossberg 590
    Remington M24 SWS

This is a list of my goto weapons. My every day work handgun is a custom built 1911 built by myself with input from gunsmith and good friend Mike Hale.

19. GrandpaDave

GrandpaDave Monkey++

Depending on my mood you'll get a different answer...
    today it's
    6b1a131694f61e854b2b28634015a729.

Yesterday I was in more a classic Icon Hunter mood
    thompson-center-icon-precision-hunter-review-001.

Edit to add... despite all the great guns I've owned over the years... one I never mention nor is it on my dream list... but it tends to be the first one I pick out of the rack when I go for a walk in the woods.. is my trusty old stock 10/22
    ruger-10-22-scoped.

Quigley_Sharps likes this.
  20. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

For sheer shooting fun, it would have to be my 1928 Thompson sub-machine gun. Nothing will put a grin on your face the way a Thompson will!

Tully Mars likes this.
  1. AgentPickle
  2. AgentPickle
  3. AgentPickle
  4. AgentPickle
  5. AgentPickle
  6. AgentPickle
  7. AgentPickle
  8. Dunerunner
  9. Dunerunner
  10. Coyote Ridge
  11. Coyote Ridge