Best gun you ever owned?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by wrc223, Dec 15, 2011.

Tags:
  1. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

You and Ben Reins,,, Huh, Seacowboys.... Good Old Thunderlizard...

2. bugdude

bugdude Monkey+

Best Gun Ever Owned - Colt 1911 Special Combat Gov't Model

Accurate right out of the box. Not picky on ammo. It'll digest any 45 ACP. Light and crisp trigger. I've got a Colt Gunsite Pistol that's just as good.

3. Jay Tx

Jay Tx Monkey+

Pistol; Belgian Hi Power 9mm. it will eat anything I feed it, and accuracy is above avg.
    Rifle; Tough one, but my Finnish Sako in 222rem will outshoot me religiously.
    Shotgun; never was much of a scattergun person. Have one Winchester (I think) pump 410 now. It does the job on varmint around the house. Never had a need for one beyond that.

4. flatlander

flatlander Monkey+

Tough question.
    Handguns- HK .45 Tactical W/ KAC suppressor..SW .44 Mag 5" Classic- best shooter EVER
    Shotgun- 870 12ga- bought in 1978
    Rifle- Rem 700 300 WM w/ Leupold scope... was a true 1000m weapon

Bob

5. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

Maybe not the best I ever owned, that would be very hard to choose, but the one that really surprised me the most was one I picked up at a gun show back in the '90s. A Colt clone, Norinco 1911 .45. It was cheap and I thought it would be a toss in the truck gun. But it really surprised me. Very acurate, reliable. Tight shooting. It ignited my passion for 1911's. As soon as I could afford it I bought a "top of the line" 1911. I have had several different ones over the years but none have really been any better than that Norinco as far as a reliable, tight shooter. I sold it at a show a few years later, I just couldn't stand the "Made in China" stamped on the side of it. Of all the guns I have parted with over the yeas that is one that I would love to have back again.

Tully Mars likes this.
  6. titosoto

titosoto Monkey+

Kimber raptor2

7. bushrat

bushrat Monkey+

Easy choices. Of course they're nothing fancy, but I'd trust my life to them.
    Rifle: Remington 700, .308
    Shotgun: Remington 870 Express, 12 ga
    Handgun: Glock 17, Gen 1, 9mm-will eat anything I feed it.

Had the Glock since 1987 and the other two for at least 15 years, and I still have them all. [winkthumb]

8. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

One of my all time favorites, is my little Bushmaster M17S Bullpup in .223Rem/5.56X45. Being a Bullpup, it's not to everyone's liking - wierd ergonomics takes getting use to. A real conversation starter at the range though. I call it my "Buck Rodgers Space Rifle"! I once saw a feller with one at the range, and he let me shoot it. I then found this one in a local shop and couldn't resist it. Not 'target-grade' accuracy - crappy mushy trigger, but it is a good reliable shooter and fun as a barrel of monkeys with machineguns........ :D [gun]

30u5l3q.

9. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

I guess mileage does vary. I would have to put that one in my "Worst" gun category. I traded for one at a gun show several years ago. I liked the ergonomics of it. It was compact and easy handling but the things I didn't like outwieghed that and I got rid of it a short time later.
    I found that the vibration on my cheek from being right above the bolt was annoying and numbing. Also it was winter time and that receiver was COLD on bare skin. Maybe a cheek pad of some sort would have helped. But I was shooting one day and a gust of wind came from the right side and it blew back the exhaust gases escaping with the ejected brass and watered my eyes a few times.
    It got put out on the table at the next gun show and traded off.

10. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Yep, I have experienced all that. I do intend to make a cheek pad - likely use mousepad material. The gases..... eewwww yeah! You learn to shoot on the out-breath...... ;)

I also need to make a top-mounted sling system, so it hangs in a more 'ready' position. A padded or heat-proof forend grip is also needed - that puppy gets hot up there! Some Bushpup owners (we have our own Yahoo Group!) use a tac rail and an M4 front grip.
    This tifle is an early model, preban - thus the full flash hider. It also has no iron sights - later models had wee 'pistol' type sights on the top rail.
    What I really love about this rifle is it's resistance to dirt and crud. Unlike the Armalite system, it does NOT 'crap where it eats'. It uses the same bolt and gas system as the AR-18/AR-180. The bolt/carrier rides on two stainless steel rails, and there is plenty of space on either side for dirt to fall away.

The M17S could have been a much bigger success, but just as Bushmaster was beginning to improve it, the sudden explosion of the AR15 cottage industry took off, and BM jumped on that bandwagon.
    It's a good design (originated in Australia) with a few problems that could have been worked out with proper continued development. I guess I like the odder designs, when they work for me. This one does. It is also compact enough to be easily carried on a motorcycle in a rectangular case that doesn't scream "Man with a rifle!"

11. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

This is really a hard question for me. Which one is the best? None of my guns are great. I would say my Stag arms AR-15 is the most expensive rifle I have and probably the best quality gun I own. The most Useful is my Marlin 981T bolt action IN .22 caliber. I really like my Ruger 10-22 and will soon have TIKKA VARMIT in 30-06 sporting a Chrome vandium barrel and all weather furniture and a quality scope. I am going to ADD another handgun to our arsenal but even the ones we have are not real special(Ruger P-89 9MM).

So I guess its my AR-15 . Kingfish
    AR1.JPG AR2.JPG

BTPost likes this.
  12. alaskachick

alaskachick A normally quiet snow monkey

Thank you for including me :)

I always hate to just post an amen, but......... Thanks to my S.O. for listing my Dan Wesson. I LOVE L-O-V-E love it!!!!! I used to have attend union meetings in a seedy part of Seattle. I had a permit to carry and chose my D.W. with the short 2# barrel in my purse. I figured if I really had to, I could first whack the bad guy in the head with my purse and THEN pull out my gun and shoot him. Now, in bush Alaska, it mostly sits on top of the refrigerator with the long barrel on and 2 speed loaders close by.......welll except when we "recycle glass" i.e. we take our empty glass containers out to the dock for target practice. 2 jobs in one. [gun][flag][gun2]

Tully Mars and kellory like this.
  13. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

I have a Tikka M595 Master Sporter; with Fed BR it is sub MOA at 200m.

14. m 99

m 99 Monkey+++

Steven bolt action mag fed 410 shotgun (my dads 1st gun). Barrett m99 50 cal , colt 1911, double star ar 15 20 inch stainless bull barrel.

BTPost likes this.
  15. rsbhunter

rsbhunter Monkey+

bestest!!!!!!!

My list would be the following:

Rem 700 Custom 300 Ultra Mag, Krieger bbl, Factory thumbhole, Jewell trigger, Vais muzzle brk
    Glock 20...10mm
    Stevens 200 6XC (22-250 necked up to 6mm) home built
    Walther P-22 [peep]

16. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Just pick one off the Winchester wall:
    photo(3).JPG

kellory and Gator 45/70 like this.
  17. RedRooster

RedRooster Monkey+

1919a4, M1, Yugo M95, Bulgy 7.62 Krink, My first AR I built from parts. I like all my guns. The list never stops!

18. RedRooster

RedRooster Monkey+

Almost forgot; the 1911 and the Dan Wesson .357..... sure wish I could find a pistol pack.

19. glassparman

glassparman Monkey+

Best gun I ever owned . . .

My Springfield 1911 .45 acp.

After spending time in the Army as a Tank Commander on an M60A3, i promptly went out and bought my own 45 auto.

It may be a slower round, but at least I know my target will not get back up after I shoot it!

Also, I'm a freak when it comes to the .303 British (Long Branch & Savage).

gunbunny likes this.
  20. Handlebar

Handlebar Monkey+

My Smith/Wesson 586, w/ a 6" barrel and my Colt ARin 9mm, that I am ready to SBR.

1. AgentPickle
  2. AgentPickle
  3. Dunerunner
  4. Dunerunner
  5. Coyote Ridge
  6. Coyote Ridge
  7. HK_User
  8. 3M-TA3
  9. Dunerunner
  10. BenP
  11. Oddcaliber
  12. OldDude49