Best gun you ever owned?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by wrc223, Dec 15, 2011.

Tags:
  1. whiteoak

whiteoak Monkey

1. Winchester 21 20ga
    2. Colt Python
    3. Ruger 44 carbine (1970 model)
    4. Remington 700 classic 300H&H
    5. Colt Series 70 NM 1911
    6. (best looking) full birdseye maple sako .243win

2. Hazmat54

Hazmat54 Monkey+++

My Ruger Blackhawk. .41 mag, 4 5/8 barrel. Learned to reload with this gun back in mid 70's. Not a shotgun guy. Rifle would be my ar frankengun. Superior lower. It is in the 2 digit range before they started hogging out the mag well for the plastic mag guys. Precise fit with real mags. CMMG mid length upper. Use it with my S.P.O.T. Red dot sight. Range plinking is all I do. Dang, if I can sub in another rifle for the shotgun, my Marlin Cowboy Carbine in .41 mag. Got the 1 of 500 that Davidsons had made up. Skinner rear sight for my old eyes. Sweet.

Scott

3. ExHelot

ExHelot Monkey

Rifle - Ruger No.1 in .270Win. with a Leupold VX-III 4-12x50. (I can shoot soda cans all day long at 300meters and I have put more venison away thanks to that rifle than I can keep track of....4 this year alone)[/QUOTE]

The "best" gun I ever owned is the most accurate and that is its sole qualification for being 'best'. In 1994 I bought a used rifle at a gunshow. It was a Mauser action that had been restocked as a project for some kid at a gunsmithing class at the local community college (I know right, the good old days when colleges did that)....anyway I was in the habit of buying guns, cleaning, repairing and etc. learning all I could by firing and working up reloads then selling and buying another victim. The beast had a metal butt plate and was missing an action screw, it did have scope mounts which was a plus and it was only $35.00.
    I took it home, replaced the missing screw, took a look down the barrel, slapped on a 4x16 scope (I think it was a Tasco) and then went to the range. It shot a group of just a bit over an inch at 100 yards with the six rounds of NORMA ammo I had kicking around. I was much astonished. I took her home and cleaned her up, reblued her and then glassed the stock and action with a kit I had on hand from Brownell's.and Three days later I returned to the range with some reloads that had bullet weights from 150 grains, 174 grains, 190 grains. They all grouped individually into 1 MOA in three distinct groups with the Sierra 174 grain bullets grouping at 3/4 MOA. I tuned the handloads and now have a load that will group at less than 1/2 MOA when I am having a good day and do what I'm supposed too.
    I took this critter hunting and got caught in the rain. The stock cracked and I filled that crack with super glue and nursed my emotional wounds. The next time I went out with it, it shot just as good as ever. It ended up gaining a home in my gun cabinet and there it still abides right next to a Heym Rifle that cost me thirty times as much..

4. MountainMariner

MountainMariner Clearly Ambiguous

Got you all beat I believe. M1A2 Abrams main battle tank. Has three of my favorite guns in one neat package. Nothing like that 120mm firing while up out of the loader hatch. The percussion reshapes your eyeballs and you can feel air on the backside of them. Lol. M2, self explanatory. And the M240 coaxial with 900 round belt at the ready. Another 240 up at the loader hatch. Sabot rounds travel at 5,700 fps muzzle velocity. Was infantry for 6 years and tanker for 3.

Rheinmetall 120 mm
    M2 .50 cal
    M240 coaxial

GOG and kellory like this.
  5. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

And NOW, You are a "Wave Rider".... How is that working out?

6. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

Winchester '73 in .45 Colt. Had that thing almost half my life, have taken the poorest care of it I possibly could, and it just keeps on giving up hot lead when I call for it.

Best pistol would hands down have to be a Taurus 66 with 6" barrel. It's smooth, highly accurate, easy on recoil, and easy handling. Only complaint I have is not having two more.

7. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

I carry my father's guns, and my grandfather's guns. I will not be parted from them.
    My best shotgun is not the one I bought, but the one my father baught for his dad, many years ago. It is a Mossberg three shot bolt action with a poly choke. Best bird and small game gun I've ever fired. Taken several deer with it as well. I am nearly as fast with a bolt as most are with a pump, and it knocks down pheasants when everyone else has given up trying.
    Next up would be the rifle. A glenfield model #60.22lr 17shot tubular magizine, a gift from my father.
    Pistol would be the 9shot .22lr my dad owned until workmen in his home, stole it from his room. With that gun, I could harvest apples by clipping the stems. It was an extension of my will. I have never found a suitable replacement for what he lost.
    (That pistol had a history, and played a role in my father/mother's marriage, so it had a hand in me. If I ever catch the thief, he will wish he had called the cops himself) (if you wish the story, PM me.)

Hand-me-down guns : Guns and Ammo • Deer & Deer Hunting Forums

Last edited: Dec 9, 2015
    GOG and Gator 45/70 like this.
  8. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

I've handled one of those Mossies. Don't like the brand, myself, but that was a fine gun. Know a fellow that found one in the back of a warehouse he had been working at, and took it home when they closed the doors. Nobody knew whose it was, or how long it had been back there.

GOG and kellory like this.
  9. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

The sweetest firearm I ever owned was a Colt Python. Other than that one, none of the others I have owned are particularly memorable for how outstanding they were relative to others in the same class...though some are memorable for how bad they were.

10. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

Didn't take any thought at all.
    Rifle - Winchester 63
    Pistol - Ruger SR1911
    Shotgun - Remington 11

11. Kingfish

Kingfish Self Reliant

This is a pretty old thread. Things change. My old Stag arms AR-15 is still the best battle rifle I ever had. My new DPMS will be a good rifle but it isnt up to par with my last one yet. My most accurate is my newest 30-06 Thompson center Icon which is a tack driver at 100 yards. It is the first rifle I have ever been able to shoot well with out past 200 yards. My Marlin 981-T .22 is still my best all around survival rifle.

3M-TA3 and BTPost like this.
  1. AgentPickle
  2. AgentPickle
  3. Dunerunner
  4. Dunerunner
  5. Coyote Ridge
  6. Coyote Ridge
  7. HK_User
  8. 3M-TA3
  9. Dunerunner
  10. BenP
  11. Oddcaliber