Best hand radio for bk up

Discussion in 'Survival Communications' started by Wizbit7, Oct 23, 2016.

1. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Nope, the Icom 2A does NOT do PL Tones.... without an External Tone Generator.... It was designed long BEFORE most repeaters were Tone Controlled....

2. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Monkey+++

No, no license here...yet. I wasn't even looking at radios when this one came into my possession. There is a ton of info here on this subject, as well as other sites. There's alot of reading to be done on my part, along with more questions, i'm sure.

BTW, @Wizbit7, my apologies. I didn't mean to hijack your thread. As our quest for info on this topic appears similar in nature, I guess I just assumed you would't mind. Feel free to inform me otherwise, if my posts don't steer your thread in the direction you would like it to go. I will gladly start a new one if this is the case.

3. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

Just keep the booger picker off the transmit button. really shouldn't need a physical lockout.

GrayGhost likes this.
  4. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Yep, that, like firearm safety starts between the ears.

GrayGhost likes this.
  5. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Monkey+++

That is classic....thanks for the laugh!
    Incidentally, I have no plans to Tx until legal. Message received. I have much to learn before that stage of the game.

DarkLight likes this.
  6. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

We had a guy about a month ago on the repeater calling out "gkr3362". With the easy access to amateur capable radios and the give-away prices, we are seeing more and more of it. Check if there are GMRS repeaters in your area. You can buy that license and it covers your immediate family.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7