Best MRE ever

Discussion in 'Bushcraft' started by Hanzo, Mar 21, 2014.

1. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Since my wife took the monkeys and their friends ice skating, my plan today was to pack up an MRE and get out and set up a tarp, eat said MRE, and maybe do a review or two. I had originally thought to go to my camping area near Bear's, but ended up going to a park with some nice trees to set up under near my home. Get to the park at lunch time and they are, of all days, cutting the grass. Since the machines were driving all over the park and the cutting was churning up the bugs, I thought I would jump on a trail and hike in somewhere to set up and eat. After looking through my truck, I realized I did not pack shoes. Thought about going anyway in slippers. I've done it before.

Discretion is the better part of valor and I didn't go. Things work out I the long run.

So instead of cracking open the brisket MRE, I had this MRE instead.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395450706.942164.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395450719.915253.

Yeah, chirashi is a great box lunch. And after I was done, the chef hands me a bowl of grilled ahi belly that he made along with his homemade ponzu sauce. Not on the menu, just something special he made. It pays to be a regular!!

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395450821.173829.

Here's my littlest monkey and a buddy.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395450899.878447.

She goes hard. So after three hours, she looked whipped.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395450936.847255.

I thought she would go for another three hours before calling it quits. She and the bigger monkey usually go 6-7 hours straight. And then come home totally wiped out. Well, I was wrong and glad I didn't jump on a trail. An hour and a half later, she said no mas and wanted daddy to come take her home. Her older sister was still going and was staying with her friends along with chaperone momma. So things work out. I was able to get the little monkey and save her from herself. I think she went too hard for too long in the beginning. But I like that about her.

Will do the MRE and tarp shelters and gear reviews another time.

Mrs. Hanzo is awesome! I called her the fish wife because she made the wool hat shaped like a fish, complete with fins and tail. Yeah it looks funny, but very warm. So in addition to chaperoning the kids, she was knitting wool socks and hats for soldiers, all to spec. Been doing that for years. I don't know how many heads and feet she has helped to cover. In fact, she is a charter member of the group, Socks for Soldiers.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395451380.780382.

chelloveck, Mike, Bear and 3 others like this.
  2. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Fish hat still missing eyes. And I washed down lunch with green tea. MRE dessert was a chocolate milkshake. Man, was I full! By the time I pick up the monkey, I needed a wheelbarrow for her to cart me around in.

When I told my wife I was thinking about an MRE for lunch, she said, "MRE, Yuck!" But little did she know...

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2014
    chelloveck and Mike like this.
  3. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I like that hat !

Mike and Hanzo like this.
  4. Bear

Bear Monkey+++ Founding Member Iron Monkey

Man that was some "MRE" lunch ;) When you texted... I was thinking it was going to be two pathetic old farts (you and me ;) under a tarp in the rain eating crap out of plastic and foil pouches :0)

5. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

That was the original plan, old man. But circumstances dictated plan B. Not complaining. Plan B's are sometimes pretty good. I wanted to play with the new hoochie. ( NOT hoochie mama...in case Mrs. Hanzo peaks in here.)

chelloveck, Mike and Bear like this.
  6. Bear

Yeah... gotta go with the flow and keep things fluid... ("bend like the wind" - Dune)... LOL... plan B sounds like it was a better plan... and isn't "hoochie mama" code for newly acquired "bush toys" ;)

7. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

What bushes are you playing in? Hmmm?

Mike likes this.
  8. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Naw, trim those bushes, and level the playing field.....;)

Hanzo and Mike like this.
  9. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Those are the cutest kids!

Hanzo and Mike like this.
  10. cdnboy66

cdnboy66 Monkey++

cute kids, great wife...time to experiment with MRE's......life of Riley you got there buddy.

Looks good on ya

Hanzo likes this.
  11. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Ah Hanzo, you should have been around when I was there!

On the Sunday hikes of the Hawaii Trail and Mountain Club was an Older Lady who, when she was a young girl, once delivered food to the Mil Look outs in WWll on the East and North Shore look out post that are still in place.

Here I was on one such Sunday, all decked out in a heavy pair of REI Boots to do the day hike. The LADY appeared off a bus at the OLD Banyon Tree in the park. A knap sack made of a pillow case with the snacks and water for the trip, this day it was to start, after a car trip into the old pineapple fields, at the trails head on the middle of the Island. Her foot wear was a pair of flip flops! That day she taught me how to hike, by lifting the foot only as high as needed for each step up the mountain side. Sounds simple yes? But by saving a bit of energy with each step the trails were easier after that.

The old ways are sometimes better.

YMMV

12. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Awesome! I've hiked in slippers before. Wish I could have met you. Not too late. When are you visiting?

Since I have kids and am the sole breadwinner, I tend to err on the side of caution. Don't want the wife to have to collect insurance. ;) In other words, I turned into a wus (sp?).

Bear likes this.
  13. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

Nat a wuss, @Hanzo a "Smart " Father & Husband..... Who takes his family, and responsibilities SERIOUSLY...... This is the measure of a Man....
    1. His Word....
    2. His Family.....
    3. Everything else......

...... OMMV......

Hanzo, chelloveck and Bear like this.
  14. Bear

What a great post!... @HK_User .... in my old age I am learning a lot from watching, listening and remembering what "older" folks have done, said or taught me... simple works... and you have most what you really need on you everyday... just make sure that stuff between your ears is functioning all the time ;)

Thanks for sharing and agreed.... "The old ways are sometimes better" indeed...

JMHO,

Bear

Hanzo likes this.
  15. HK_User

I could arrive at any time! Been back a few times and the last was in 2003. I did a trip to the Big Island and wrote a paper
    Topic: Pearl Harbor, Hawaii and U.S. Submarines in the Vietnam War
    In Completion of Requirements
    For
    GEOL 4863-030 Problems Course / Summer 2003

The funny part is I was there in 1995 for the Geology and the Volcanology Trip.

A few years later, 2003, I got around to finishing the paper!

Good Prof for sure.

Hanzo likes this.
  16. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Look me up if you come.

17. HK_User

Will Do.

Hanzo likes this.
  18. Bear

Me too please ! ;)

Hanzo likes this.
  19. HK_User

Not a problem, just as long as the plane does not end up off OZZ!

Hanzo and Bear like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7