Best "sniper" rifle?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by COLORADO_OUTDOORS, Dec 24, 2008.

1. in your own opinion what is the best sniper rifle?if you can please post pics.thank you

2. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

There is no such thing! If you look at "Tactical Rifles" for what they are, you will find they are basic factory hunting rifles that have been modified with heavy barrels, synthetic stocks and blueprinted actions.

The U.S. Army and Marines have fielded "Sniper's Weapons Systems" based on the Remington 700 rifle(M24, M40A1, and M40A3 Rifles) for the last thirty tears.

Now, my question is why did you ask such a question to begin with? What are you intrest and reasons for asking such a "generic" question, and please do not take this the wrong way. Are you interesed in learnig about long range marksmanship? or the sniper's community as a whole? You are going to have to be more specific with your original question.

3. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I don't think of my long-range rifles as "Snipers" rifles per se, though they certainly could full-fill that capacity quite well. My favorite is a a national-match M14 with a Sadlak titanium mount and a high-end Leupold mil-dot glass though I certainly can get as much accuracy out of my Model 10 Savage tactical rifle or my 700 Remington. There are several of us that love the challenge of placing multiple dots in a small area from long distances under a variety of conditions but this incorporates much more than just the rifle to manage with any consistency.

4. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

I guess I've always wondered exactly what constitutes a "sniper" rifle. Seems to me that accuracy counts, but that can't be all there is to it. Methinks a "sniper" can make whatever rifle he gets his hands on hit what he's aiming at. It might be better to describe the weapon as a "sniper's rifle" since I firmly believe the rifle is the lesser part of the combination of shooter and gun.

One more opportunity to confuse the big, bad weapon adding to the banner's agenda. So no more "assault" weapons, nor "sniper rifles" which takes out the bolt guns as well as semi-autos. (There goes my MNs that the Russians used to good effect in war and my yet to be acquired Savage 308.)

And while I'm ranting on nomenclature, what makes a "tactical" rifle tactical? Most of them look like stuff is just hanging off them for show, not necessarily utility.

5. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

What's the "best" bank robbers handgun?

provacative question ( Welcome aboard). Sniping is a verb no rifle snipes, but Soon all high powered precision rifles will be labled such and banned as too dangerous.

6. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

A "tactical" rifle is not what you hang off of it, it is being able to put a round where you aim no matter what the environmental conditions, their are quite a few factory rifles that could do this out of the box, while some of the newer "SASS" type systems that are currently being deployed by the military are nothing short of colossal failures, but that is a whole different area of discussion.

Yes, the term "tactical" can be an oxymoron itself, but it is the term that has been adopted by the Sniper/Designated Marksman's community, which takes great offense at the term "sniper rifle".

7. ghrit

We are definitely on the same page here. And to add more cynicism, "Sniper's weapons systems" have been around far longer than the term "system" has been applied (also just junk English.) There have been many combinations of rifle and hardware. Take Enfield, 03-A3, Garand, MN and many others that were fielded in special configurations for sniping service. (But you knew that.) My cynicism stems from hanging a new name on an old idea in the hopes that the newness will elevate the idea to some sort of status beyond it's value.

So back to C_O's question: My fave sniper's rifle is an accurized caplock (preferably Hawken) and my fave tactical weapon is a blunderbuss. Sorry, no pix available.

8. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

Go Jeremiah!!!
    "I Cactus Jack, being of sound mind and broke legs does hereby give my hawken rifle to whatever finds it ;it is a good rifle and kilt the bear what kilt me"..
    Mother Jue would be proud of that topknot!

9. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

Hmmmm...
    "SNIPER" rifle....
    What a topic.
    Question: WHY?
    Are you now or have you ever been a SNIPER?
    Dumb and rhetorical question...of course not!
    Or, you'd never ask that question.
    SNIPERS know what the best is for them ,from personal experiences.
    Why a "SNIPER" rifle?
    I ask, as I wonder what possible use outside of the military's usage one would have
    for such an item...
    Presumably, you expect to be attacked by someone at long distances, such as another SNIPER?
    Forgive the morbidity of this, but are you a trained KILLER?
    "SNIPERS" are.
    Unfortunately, today all survivalists are being categorized as crazed morons, running around in ghillie suits, with infrared and nightvision units, all decked out, just looking for ANY reason to KILL someone!
    EG: "SNIPERS", aka: killers of people.
    Well this is why.
    The question is what it is, and personally, I believe as such it reflects the problem of a lack of intellect.
    Consider:
    What: what are you going to do with a sniper rifle?
    When: just what would make you consider sniping anyone?
    Where: where do you think this would become a useful tool?
    Who: just who is it you forsee killing?
    Why: what is the motivation behind having the rifle in question?
    I have to "assume", you are not a trained ex-military sniper, so in that respect, you have sealed your own fate, "IF" you should decide to go against an expertly trained individual in the art of sniping.
    Any human being can be killed in any number of disgusting and grisly ways....
    When you make the statement regarding he use of a "sniper's" rifle...you have opened yourself a real can of nasty worms!
    I find it very disturbing that any person would ask such a question of a forum, much less the people here.
    I find it merely reprehensible at best...
    IMHO!
    Bill

10. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

Thankyou Dragonfly, this same question was asked not more than two weeks ago on "Sniper's Hide", the individual that aske this question recieved a digital smackdown bigtime, by the real mccoys on that forum. He has yet to return to that forum.

I do not want to do the same to CO here, give him time to respond to my first questions I initialy asked him.

11. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

All of my sniper rifles are specialty weapons; one is just for shooting autistic children. My favorite is never used for anything else but killing Amway salesmen and Jehova's Witnesses. I am preparing to buy one for Shitzus; I hate those little yappers.

12. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

[rofllmao][rofllmao][lolol][lolol][lolol][LMAO][LMAO][LMAO][applaud][applaud]:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:lafflafflafflaffbiglaffbiglaffbiglaffbiglaff[fnny]

My most bestest sniper rifles are reserved for chihuahua dogs, especially those that are on prozac (yes, long story.)

13. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

What's the best shitzu rifle???(.338 lapua chiuhuahua magnum) If you can't tell I have a bug about"best" threadstaser1taser1[lolol][lolol][lolol]

14. ghrit

Hands down best chee-who-ah-who-ah or shitzu rifle is 204 Ruger. Second is 17 HMR. (But I prefer a single six 22lr, 'cause most of the time them yappers won't get far enough away to swing a barrel.) [troll]

15. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

A you can tell by now colorado outdoors,buying a precision rifle capable of consistently making small groups does not enable the shooter to accomplish that, environmental factors come into play and how those are judged and taken into account is the shooter part of the "system". The rifle remington (usmc)/or winchester(carlos"white feather" hathcock) matters little. There are plenty of stock store bought rifles out there that will shoot better than their owners are capable of. If you've spent any time behind the sights of any centerfire rifle you would already know that, if you haven't, you are asking a video game question. besides asking us to post pictures of our personal possesions online(on your very first post). Is just bad form mate.

16. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

Not the best? just what am I gonna do with this "lapua-pua magnum"?I want the best![fnny]

17. ghrit

I guess you could use the lop-lop --
    =
    =
    =
    =
    =
    =
    =
    =
    =
    =
    =
    =
    =
    =
    =
    =
    =
    =
    =
    As a fine, fine, super fine club --

[boozingbuddies] [lolol]

18. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

This was my very first impression with his question, it seems that these gamers can't seperate their game world from the "real world", and is it just me or have we had a few immature individuals come on board here lately?

19. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

Least its not just my bad upbringing bleeding through on the edges. I screwed up a rebuild project in the shop, haven't liked myself very much in the last couple of weeks.("Idiot")( that kida stuff comes through my posts.)

It May not be the case here; but It burns me I can cruise youtube and see "One shot kills (sniper kills)"links Not that I would seek footage of actual combat killing; But its freakin' video gameplay bragged about and discussed in the comments like actual wartime...
    I don't know why it so rubs me the wrong way I'm a vet; but not an old warhorse (never saw individual combat).I Just get disgusted at life taking treated so nonchalantly. Enemy or not. The sniper has earned his position he/she is rightly glorified as the mosthighly disciplined and skilled warrior; skilled in bushcraft, camoflage intelligence and marksmanship. and from what Carlos said he saw the faces of the men he took and it was not easy or just pulling a trigger to these men who chose the exact time a man would die. This is serious business and it leaves its mark on these men. not for the glory hounds or medals chasers.Or kids to play.

Or maybe I just need medication...

20. ghrit

Yup. Or [stirpot] types. [troll] [coffee2] Fortunately they get tired.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7