Best "sniper" rifle?

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by COLORADO_OUTDOORS, Dec 24, 2008.

1. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

looks just like that Ghrit. I was thinking the same.

2. dragonfly

dragonfly Monkey+++

TO" "Colorado Outdoors"
    Now, here in the spirit of the season, as well as my own humility, I must make a sincere apology for "jumping" on your post.
    That was not really my intention, but it hit a nerve.
    I cannot expect you to know or understand, as I was in the military.
    Reflecting on the question, it is not bad that you have asked it, but it can be misconstrued many ways.
    Again, a personal apology, IF I have offended you, as I did not mean to do that!
    Have a Merry Christmas, and a prosperous New Year....
    ( note: may we all!)
    Bill

3. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

ya' old "softy"...Yup we took that poor guys post on a tangent and smoked it...Rather rude of us I'd say. ..A "timeout":shock:and no fresh newspaper for the monkey cage for a week.:eek:

[yukface]

4. sniper-66

sniper-66 Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Now 25 posts later, after all the philosophical mumbo jumbo, I will attempt to answer your question as you asked.

I have several Remington 700s and they are all adequate for the needs that I bought them for. My most dependable, reliable, Sniping rifle that fits my definition of a Sniper rifle is a Styer SSG with a 6X Khales scope.

What do I define a sniper rifle as? A rifle that can take a beating by being drug all over the place, dropped, full of dirt, mud, water, and can be pulled out of the drag bag, a round placed in the chamber, fired, hit exactly where you aim, time and time again. In other words, repeatability in numerous environments and conditions.

5. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

Realize mr.outdoors registered that day.and in the internet world could very well be a 16 year old with a grudge and a schoolmate hit list. Some questions don't deserve direct answers. So what Mr.sniper-66 is the"best" sniper rifle for a civilian? Oh and besure to post pics of your ssg

6. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

OK, troops. If we were on final approach with this one, we would have got a vigorous wave off many times for missing the glide path by a wide margin. The question originally asked was perhaps, um, ill advised from a noob with no board creds here. That said, the question itself was pretty open ended and needed definition. There is clearly none to be had, since the intended use for a "sniper's rifle" by a civilian is (we hope) not for assassination or culling school yard bullies.

Sniper 66 has provided a definition that works for the military, and surely would work equally well for varmints and big game, but would not need to be quite as heavy duty. So let's see if C_O comes back and provides some idea of what the intended use will be. That way, we can refine the "advice" that he is paying for by absorbing the abuse without complaint.

7. Tango3

Tango3 Aimless wanderer

Gone...we're not stupid...cup o coffee time...

8. QuietOne

QuietOne Monkey++

Just to add my $.02; it's a big, clumsy rifle, usually with a low ammunition capacity and relatively delicate optics. It's a liability in a defensive situation, requires training to use properly and its normal use is to kill people who don't know you're there. So why do you want one?

9. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

The best sniper rifle is the one held by a capable sniper and capable of doing the needed job.

One thing Hollywierd dosent tend to recognize about snipers is that while they train to be capable of hitting their target from extream ranges in any conditions, their biggest part of training and skill tends to go into being able to get as clsoe as possible without being detected and waiting for their oprotunity to take the shot they have been sent to take. So most battle carbines would work fine for most sniper shots since they are very good at being invisible and take their shots from the closest range they can most of the time. One good friend of mine WAS a sniper and his longest shot (IIRC) was slightly over 1,000 yards and most were more in the 250-500 yard range, considered within the capabilities of most carbines.

Now with that said, Im assumeing that most likely you are asking more about a PRECISSION shooting LONG RANGE rifle. For that also the anwser would be hard to come by since its whatever the shooter can shoot best with. I have a .270 Winchester I bought several years ago from Walmart and out of thebox with cheap off the shelf ammo I can leave a single ragged hole with it from a solid shooting platform at 100 meters and once I established my holdover and did my part it had no problem dropping a large deer at around 600 yards. So at least in my case the basic high powered center fire rifle from Wally world with the scope that came with it and the cheapest ammo on their shelf can shoot at least as well as I could in any real world situation and with ammo that had tighter than normal tolerances could undoubtedly out preform me from anything other than high priced, semi automated benchrests, and unless I did more research on the balistics, got a lot better at range estimation (or got the range finders), paid more attention to the precise wind speed and direction, checked the humidity and barametric pressure, examined the angles of the shots and in general did a hell of a lot more technical examination of the shots than I do now and used more equiptment, then it would probably still out preform me without getting any fancier than an off the rack generic rifle and scope in good condition and maintained and on a diet of off the shef ammo.

So the best sniper/precission rifle, is whichever one you train with enouph to reliably hit your target with at what ever range you happen to be at.

10. sniper-66

Well, hell, if we use those standards, quite a few of us on this board would be standing in line. Much like that scene in Airplane where the passengers are lined up waiting to beat the screaming woman. If he wasn't going to go shoot his schoolmates, he probably will now! "I just can't, BLAM, get a straight, BLAM, Gat Damned, BLAM, answer on which is the, BLAM, best sniper rifle, BLAM.

Ghrit, if this was an approach, we wouldn't have been waved off many times, we would have been sent back to the house for a pink slip party!

11. ghrit

Sorry. Was thinking carrier approach and losing the ball, then surviving the LSO's (and squadron dog's) tirade(s). The pink slip party can't happen until on the deck, and we ain't there. Yet.

12. sniper-66

Good point, you forget that I am a helo guy, so I can always get on the deck, may not be pretty!

13. ghrit

Lawdy, lawdy, how I love it when a good thread heads for the hinterlands. Keeping some on track is like herding cats. (Who's the mod on this forum that's supposed to keep us in line, anyways? :lol:) Would someone kindly explain how we went from a rifle selection (with no pix) to a non landing on a carrier? (Watch that collective, sniper, go the wrong way and splats come quickly.)

[rofllmao]

14. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++

I have a feeling CO came here as a troll, to[stirpot] as to speak, or is a juvenile. We have been getting alot of these types lately, so I am just going to ignore their asinine questions and post from this moment on. These types are not worth getting upset over. As Ghrit said above, they don't stay to long any way. If they have nothing to contribute, then so be it, there are plenty others that will.

15. weapons_762

weapons_762 Monkey+++

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7