Best Things You Were Ever Given

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by STANGF150, Apr 19, 2012.

1. STANGF150

STANGF150 Knowledge Seeker

What are sum of the best things you were ever given? Memories, skills, knowledge, an other non-touchable things excluded.

When I was 12 my Great Uncle who had a small booth at a Flea Market gave me my first pocket knife. The cheap plastic sides soon fell off. I still have the knife, carried it for over a decade after I got it.

When I was about 14 or 15 My mom knew this old man at work she'd known for years. She took me over to his house. I liked a pot of sum odd purple flowers and his Wife gave them to me. I still have them, though the wooden pot they was originally in long since disintegrated. She called them "Monkeyfaces" though I've never been able to find them online nor learn what they really called. Every couple years I go thru the pots getting out all the pillbug looking seeds & repot them. Sumtimes giving the extra seeds away, sumtimes not. I always keep at least 2-3 pots worth though.

About a decade ago, an old friend of my mom's lived in Florida & had a store sorta like a Big Lots. She sent a few things to my mother from time to time. She sent me what I call a Fuzzy Blanket. Its done in shades of blue mainly with sum white, & a very lil bit of brown, with a black border. Its has a picture of a Wolf, a Bobcat, & an Eagle on it. Its been on my bed ever since.

2. Gunny Highway

Gunny Highway Hard Work and Sacrifice blessed by God's Grace

My Buck knife from my Dad and the fact he went 50 /50 on buying my Rem 700 30.06 my first Centerfire rifle.

I really miss hunting with my Dad...the memories of those hunts make me laugh ( my Dad screaming " Damn Gun !!! " when his 7mm BAR jammed in Colorado ) till I cry and also make me proud as hell. The day he announced he wasn't going hunting that year was when I started my 1 year countdown till he was gone. Sure enough it was 8 months later...

I'm sure he is sitting around a campfire in heaven talking about the huge elk he just shot and tilting back a beer

3. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

The sense of family,country, and personal responsibility passed to me from my father.

Cruisin Sloth likes this.
  4. -06

-06 Monkey+++

The love of my parents and especially from my mother. Growing up on a self sustaining farm(dirt poor) she would eat the wings/necks of the chickens we raised so us kids could have the meaty pieces. Her resourcefulness was awesome. We were plowing a field and broke a piece. She build a furnace from an old can, rigged a blower, heated the piece red hot, and beat it back to workable shape.

5. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

The love of my parents also , but the strict upbringing as it came across. With that came a multitude of other (as I hope they are) good traits .

I also have trinkets of family pass-downs that invoke memory's of them.

Great Thread Idea.

Sloth

6. sgt peppersass

sgt peppersass Monkey+

very good sloth, i also appreciate the responsibility my parents drilled into me. Also i love how my wife just bought me a ruger sr1911 over the weekend :)

7. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

My folks did without (well, so did the family) so I could attend a Parochial (Catholic-run) school. From that, I got a good basic education. Priceless.

From my folks and extended family, I learned that honesty really is the best, even if it hurts.

From my wife, I learned what real love was all about.

Some of the most important 'things' that you can get cannot be held in the hand.... just the heart.

8. TheEconomist

TheEconomist Creighton Bluejay

The strength to wake up every morning and continue in my sobriety...

...given to me by my creator.

9. RightHand

RightHand Been There, Done That RIP 4/15/21 Moderator Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

My child

10. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

I'm still waiting...

I'm a greedy s.o.b....That's how i roll...

ccc...

ditch witch and gunbunny like this.
  11. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

The example of my Mother and Father, and they way they dealt with the stresses of Life in their Generation... Now I find myself in their shoes, and I try to emulate those things, for my Children, and Grandchildren. It is a BIG Responsibility, to be in this position, to fulfill those shoes.... ..... YMMV....

12. Clyde

Clyde Jet Set Tourer Administrator Founding Member

XY chromosomes at conception

Guit_fishN likes this.
  13. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

Love
    Hope
    Morals
    Children
    Abilities

Cephus likes this.
  14. STANGF150

STANGF150 Knowledge Seeker

Guessing Gunny was only one to read the entire first two sentences of my original post. Well, besides RH. :(

15. CAT-astrophic

CAT-astrophic Monkey++

Watching my parents go through life showing me that you don't need money to be happy :D

All you need is great friends to share your life with. <3

16. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

Deoxyribonucleic acid I got from my ancestors. I've passed it along to my children. It was the least I could do.

ditch witch likes this.
  17. Silversnake

Silversnake Silverback

A bunch of photos from my parents depicting ancestors from both sides along with a family tree tracing one of my lineages back to a Swede born in 1604.

18. oldawg

oldawg Monkey+++

OK, Mine was a 1908? Savage in 32acp given to me by my Dad.It has since been passed on to my oldest son.

19. Cruisin Sloth

Cruisin Sloth Special & Slow

Myself also STANGF150.
    When I said trinkets , Grandfathers eye magnifier for stamps and such , (three legged magnifying glass to slide over envelope to view) .. great to see items like a very small table that improves close inspection.
    Some older tools that my father has used as an apprentice to tradesman that Im just getting the hang of.

They are valuable only in my eyes for how they make me remember .

Since the other olddawg fessed up :)

Sloth

oldawg likes this.
  20. chelloveck

chelloveck Diabolus Causidicus

The best thing that I was given was.....

The best thing that I was given was life. All else stems from that.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7