Best way to carry a Colt Mustang+2

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by twoshotc, Mar 28, 2007.

1. twoshotc

twoshotc Monkey+++

I want to use my Colt Mustang 308 as a concealed carry weapon. How should it be carried--chamber empty, round in chamber with hammer down, surely not cocked with just the safety on? It may look like a 1911 but it does not function the same.
    You ideas?
    thanks
    twoshot

2. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

You mean 380 right?

Cool little pistols! I did read where there was a problem carrying them in "inside the waistband" holsters. Seems the safety is easily disengaged by rubbing against the body..... but I don't have one myself.

So I wouldn't advise carrying it "iwb" with one chambered, and not having a round in the pipe would make it slow on the first (and most important) shot.

Are you absolutely set on using this particular pistol as your ccw?

Oh....... and welcome to the Monkey!

3. twoshotc

twoshotc Monkey+++

Yes it is the .380. I have a Ruger sp101 as well in 357 with a 3 inch barrel. I just thought that in the summer, the colt would be easier to conceal and lighter to carry.
    twoshot

4. melbo

melbo Hunter Gatherer Administrator Founding Member

I really like to carry hot with one in the chamber, Cocked is your call... I'm not very confident of a lot of safeties out there. What I have done in the past was to pretend to carry cocked and locked to see if I managed to disengage the safety during the day. I left the ammo at home for these tests.

5. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

[ditto] You never can tell whether or not you will have the free hand available to manipulate the slide, or have the time to do so. While I carry a 1911, I carry it cocked and locked. Practice with it, and decide for youself how you can carry it safely. If it is without one in the chamber, then I suggest practicing pulling the slide back as you draw. Develope that muscle memory. It would be a really bad feeling to hear "click" at the most inapporpriate time.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7