Between tai chi meals

Discussion in 'Survival of the Fittest' started by Hanzo, Jun 10, 2014.

1. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Maybe I'm glad I didn't climb your same tree?!? Thought it was just sap... :sick:

Come on down and visit!! Visit your old tree, @Bear and me. All for different reasons, of course...

Yard Dart likes this.
  2. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

I think there are more banyan trees in the Waikiki area. The ones pictured are monkey pod. Although monkey pod, banyan and rainbow showers trees are pretty common in our public areas.

Yard Dart likes this.
  3. Yard Dart

Yard Dart Vigilant Monkey Moderator

Well back then I was more concerned about the ladies in bikinis than much else.... 20 something in HI was a great time....
    25 years ago or so..... crap... getting old :eek:

Hanzo likes this.
  4. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

There was a dad with a big honking camera and his cute little 19 month boy who came by near our tai chi class a week or two ago. So I gave the class a short break and helped them pose with swords and took pictures for them. Didn't think to take one for myself until after they left. Hope they have good memories.

Yard Dart likes this.
  5. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

I'm probably older than you. That's why I have a t-shirt that says "Older than Dirt."

About 8-9 years ago, I joined a nearby newly formed tai chi class, thinking I could get some practice in. Most of the students had never done tai chi before and were mostly seniors. I had started my martial arts around 5 or 6 and tai chi at 17 or 18. So I told them that and said tai chi can help keep you young and healthy and that I was 87. They were like, "Oh wow..." Not sure if I should be upset or not that a lot of them believed me... Was in my early 40's at the time.

Probably had a couple of decades of experience on the teacher. But it wasn't about that. Just wanted to practice. I still go.

kellory, Ganado and Yard Dart like this.
  6. Yard Dart

We are both getting old.... but heck... at least we are not as old as some. :)
    You have beautiful daughters at home... mine has flown the coop..... I envy you some days... other days I laugh and think, look out!!

kellory, Ganado and Hanzo like this.
  7. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Well, mahalo for that @Yard Dart. My body feels old, but my mind and spirit don't. Some days, I am happy as a clam...other days, I laugh and think, look out! :) But overall, I feel very blessed, even on the "look out" days. I have had colleagues and clients tell me I have the right approach. I try to spend time with the family and take care of what needs to be taken care of, and everything else works its way out in the long run.

Ganado and Yard Dart like this.
  8. Yard Dart

I think from my armchair... what you are doing is perfect..... carry on!!!

Ganado and Hanzo like this.
  9. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

My mostly eaten lunch... Vietnamese cold noodles (bun) with grilled pork and lemongrass chicken. Thanks for a good lunch and better company, @Bear.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 4, 2015
    Yard Dart likes this.
  10. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Breakfast before tai chi.

[​IMG]

Lunch was sushi, but I didn't take pictures.

Cool clouds over out tai chi trees.

[​IMG]

Today was like the unofficial bring a guest to tai chi class day. We had several folks bring guests. Including my friend, who brought his cute daughter with adorable dimples.

[​IMG]

Motomom34 and Ganado like this.
  11. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

My student texted me that the cloud formation was on the news. High upper winds cause that shape.

She also gave me great bananas. Her trees are prolific.

[​IMG]

Motomom34 likes this.
  12. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Today, I got a new student in my class. A very large Hawaiian man, who is a long time Shaolin Kung Fu practitioner. Showing one of the early movements in the form and explaining attacking pressure points. So I asked him if I could use him to demonstrate. First thing I said was, why would I mess with someone like him. He is a really big guy. So he asked is the pressure point was around the neck area. I told him generally yes, but why would I try that on him. I would have to really reach and that would be bad. So instead, take the points in the arm where I can easily reach. And hopefully disarm him. Then I would feel more even.

I don't even remember why I started typing this. Taught two classes and just finished soccer practice. Had a reason, then I heard my daughter outside. Went to check on her and forgot. Getting old...

Yard Dart, Ganado and Motomom34 like this.
  13. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Quick lunch.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yard Dart likes this.
  14. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

My tai chi students are awesome. Pulled a fast one on me yesterday. My 92nd birthday was last week. So just before class ended, they sprung a cake on me.

[​IMG]

And then when they were done singing "Happy Birthday," a second one came out to a super loud and boisterous "Happy Birthday." My buddy, the kung fu master, brought it out and yelled the song out at the top of his lungs. The cakes were some of the best I have had. Chantilly and lemon crunch. Yum!

[​IMG]

As I was minding my own business, talking with the students as they came up to wish me well, a couple of them wanted a picture of me with the cakes. They made me do this. Others were more plain vanilla and took pictures with me (without the cakes). Not sure why they would want to do this, but I felt honored and thankful. The other thing about getting old... wife was fiddling with my chest hair the other night and mentioned that she spotted some white hairs in there.

[​IMG]

Then I had lunch with @Bear. Thanks buddy!

[​IMG]

Ganado and kellory like this.
  15. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

After my first two classes today, I went home and made a quick lunch before my long afternoon class. Leftover steak and cheese sandwich was pretty good. Wifee even too a few bites out of it.

[​IMG]

Right after I got to class, one of my students gave me a bag of eggplant. I told her that her garden was both promiscuous and prolific. Stuff grows like crazy in there. She credited her husband's green thumb.

[​IMG]

And I noticed a big branch of the rainbow showers tree was cut off. Nice looking wood.

[​IMG]

So after two morning sessions and a two hour afternoon class in really hot and humid weather, I was ready to cool off before I did some work. So I made a most perfect iced plantation tea and the little monkey jacked it.

[​IMG]

Fortunately, I saw it coming and made more, so I got some too. But only one glass instead of two. She loves taking my food too. Especially bacon. But then, I can't really blame her for that.

kellory likes this.
  16. Ganado

Ganado Monkey+++

Your 92nd? Looking great at 92 ;)

Happy Birthday! However old you are :)

Hanzo likes this.
  17. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Doesn't look a day over 90.....:rolleyes:

Hanzo likes this.
  18. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Mahalo @Ganado. Eight years ago, I told my class 87, so it would be 95... tai chi can keep you young. There is a lady at Wudang Mountain. If iI recall, she is over 100, still practicing and she is super limber, her teeth and bones are strong, and her hair is turning back to black. Freaky!

Ganado likes this.
  19. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

Well, they only put one candle per cake... fire code...

Ganado likes this.
  20. Hanzo

Hanzo Monkey+++

After my morning classes, I had lunch with some of the tai chi students. Mexican was the choice this time around. I had enchiladas.

[​IMG]

And I brought home fish tacos for the wifee.

[​IMG]

After coming home from my afternoon class, I polished off the last chunk of @Bear sourdough. And as I was wondering what I should have for protein, my neighbor drops of a bag of freshly boiled peanuts. It was like he read my mind.

[​IMG]

And since I have work to do, I washed it down with some cold pressed coffee that wifee made and has been sitting in the fridge. Hit the spot.

[​IMG]

Bear likes this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7