Bicycle tire hinges

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by Oltymer, Sep 14, 2016.

1. Oltymer

Oltymer Monkey++

I don't know if I came up with this idea or had something I had seen from the past kicking around in my head, but when I put the door on my DIY greenhouse I used sections cut from an old worn out bicycle tire as the hinges.

You might be familiar with the outrageous prices being charged for simple stamped steel hinges these days and I think this is an excellent remedy for wallet pain.

I cut 3 sections each about 4" long from the tire using a hacksaw to cut through the wire rims of the tire and a knife for cutting through the middle rubber section. These work great, even though I probably used too many screws, but I can always remove some if need be. 004.JPG 003.JPG

2. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Yea, man! I used that idea so many times to repair busted hinges! My coolers being the biggest one! Shed door, tool box lid. Ect! Great Post!

Seepalaces and Oltymer like this.
  3. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

I'm not saying you didn't come up with this idea on your own , but I know where you may have seen a similar hinge . I think it may have been on Jeremiah Johnson , on the door of the shack were he had to take the little boy from . I think they used a pair of old shoe soles .I think this is right . I'd have to pull out the movie to make sure . It may take a few hours to find out for you ,,,,haha

Seepalaces, Ura-Ki, Oltymer and 2 others like this.
  4. Legion489

Legion489 Rev. 2:19 Banned

Popular Mechanics from the 1930s had that same thing. Saw a reprint of the one paragraph "article". You may have come up with the idea on your own, but it isn't new.

Seepalaces, Ura-Ki and Oltymer like this.
  5. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

New or not, it works. That, after all, is the test that counts.

6. Oltymer

Oltymer Monkey++

Had not thought about replacement use on cooler hinges, which is a great idea. I read old Popular Mechanics from the teens - 60's so may have picked it up there. Lot's of good info in those old magazines with actual hands on DIY stuff that you can swap out modern materials for the common stuff they were using then. The new magazines mostly want you to buy something to accomplish a project. Me, I prefer to scrounge and use my imagination, lots more fun that way.

Seepalaces and Ura-Ki like this.
  7. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Too many screws?

If a little is good, then gobs is great...yes?

Seepalaces, john316 and Ura-Ki like this.
  8. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

Old tire inner tubes work great as well! I make all sorts of stuff with them! Seals, Gaskets, plugs, liners, heat shields, water holders, tie downs, covers, wear guards, just about any thing really!!!

Seepalaces likes this.
  9. marlas1too

marlas1too Monkey+++

when I was young we did use thick leather to make or repair hinges on the farm -old shoes that were worn beyond repair were used too

chelloveck, Seepalaces and Ura-Ki like this.
  10. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

I used inner tubes for hinges on coolers after the plastic ones break.

Seepalaces and Ura-Ki like this.
  11. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Once upon a time, We made sling shots using old tire tubes, Some things are a lost art.

chelloveck, Seepalaces and Ura-Ki like this.
  12. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Inner tubes make great rubber bands. either cut them strait across or at an angle for a longer band.

13. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Under the general heading of other uses, I've cut them into long strips an inch or so wide and used the strips to hold chairs together when gluing and redoing the joints that worked loose with age.

(Also, when young and in an experimental mood, my buddy and I made a slingshot, about 4 feet high, and propelled 1 inch ball bearings over 100 yards and were able to hit 55 gallon drums regularly. The fork had a sharp point cut in it for planting on the ground, then braced by the braver of us with a shoulder at the fork. That inner tube did snap back ---)

Ganado likes this.
  1. natshare
  2. Benjamin A. Wood
  3. hot diggity
  4. Asia-Off-Grid
  5. TnAndy
  6. Seacowboys
  7. Bishop
  8. DKR
  9. Witch Doctor 01
  10. chelloveck
  11. runswithdogs