Bicycles for Bugging Out

Discussion in 'Back to Basics' started by Sgt. Art, Jan 26, 2008.

1. Sgt. Art

Sgt. Art Monkey+++

Although bugging in is prefered IMHO, there may be a situation that requires bugging out. If transport via personal or provided vehicle is not possible does anyone have a plan that includes the use of bicycles? If so do those plans include modifications for carrying extra gear or even using the bike as a gear carrier as opposed to riding it? Thanks.

2. Tracy

Tracy Insatiably Curious Moderator Founding Member

I would be more likely to get a trailer for my bike rather than modifying it. When I had a kid-transport trailer for it, I used that trailer to haul everything around. Regrettably; I got rid of it. My mountain bike hauled that trailer around like it was nothing - built for 2 small bodies - and the trailer even helped stabilize the bike.

Gator 45/70, 3M-TA3 and Motomom34 like this.
  3. Blackjack

Blackjack Monkey+++

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2016
  4. Panhead

Panhead On the Loose Founding Member

Anything with two wheels

Homer Simpson likes this.
  5. ColtCarbine

ColtCarbine Monkey+++ Founding Member

No worries this should be an easy modification with less expense and helps hold the bike upright
    shoppingcart. cartbike.

Oltymer and Gator 45/70 like this.
  6. ColtCarbine

adds a new meaning to mobile home and ingenuitive use of the blue foam board
    MobileHome.

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  7. ColtCarbine

On a serious note-yes we could bug out on bicycles if the need arises. Each person of the house has at least one bike but no modifications so it would be whatever we could carry on our backs and strap to the bicycle.

8. monkeyman

monkeyman Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I have seriously thought about bikes as a second or third tier plan for BO. At present the plans would basicly go BI, BO by truck, BO on foot with donkey and dogs as pack animals. If I had the money and more serious plans for BO (or only real considerations for BO is if its a localized situation and or NBC) what I have thought would be best would be a good 4x4 truck with crew cab and camper shell to carry most if not all gear and people then a good trailer that would work off road and room for a pair of ATVs and a bike for each person that had the front tire modifcation linked above and a collapsable kid carrier for each of them. That way you could hopefuly BO by road in the truck like you could right now, if the roads are blocked then hopefuly you can make it in the truck with some moderate off roading. If the truck breaks down or becomes hopelessly stuck you pull the ATVs off the trailer, put the bikes and gear on the trailer and hook it to the ATV (work horse modle not the racer) and head on. If that fails then go down to very basic gear in the bike trailers and pedal on with assistance from the replacement front wheel so can make better time with less strain and if even that fails then you are down to hoofin it.

I do figure a bike would beat the hell out of going it on foot though so long as the terrain permits it since a bike dose get you a LOT more miles in a day than you could hope for on foot and with the wheel switched out its even more so and the small trailer added allows you to carry a good bit more supplies/gear than a pack alone.

9. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

This summer I will be getting everyone a bicycle and I will be searching for a few child carriers that we can attach to the bicycles. I just read @AD1's post about swapping out bike tires because pavement will chew up Mt bike tires. Is it best to have the two types of tires or just spares of one or the other. I am frugal and only want to purchase what would be the most logical, useful.

Gator 45/70 and 3M-TA3 like this.
  10. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

If the bikes are rigged for quick change wheels, get an extra pair of wheels and mount different tires. Having the quick change feature is well worth the money when butted up against the time to swap tires. Now, that works if you have both on and off road in mind --

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
    3M-TA3, Motomom34 and Ganado like this.
  11. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

@Motomom34

When I get a Chance today I will shoot images of the tires next to each other. So you can see the difference.

I have 2 different sets of rims already to go with the different tires on the.

My bike is a Specialized StumpJumper M2 Comp. Its a 10+ yearold bike that cost a little over $2K and has all the bells and whistles but you can get a good bike for around $5-700. The wheels on these have a qucik release that allow me to swap wheels in less than a minute.

Besides the bike, I have a full tool kit I carry all the time. It has chain repair links and a chain break which is critical when your life depends on getting somewhere or back from where you are going.

There are a number of other tool, tire levers, tubes, patch kits.....that should be in every tool kit.

Last edited: Mar 13, 2016
    Motomom34, Gator 45/70 and 3M-TA3 like this.
  12. chimo

chimo the few, the proud, the jarhead monkey crowd

If I were to bug out on a bike, my Big Dummy would be the ticket. Besides all the cargo room, I can easily haul an additional trailer. Where it gets fun when that loaded down is if you have to climb...which is why some people put electric motor assists on their bikes. I noticed on the Xtracycle web-site (the original inspiration for the Big Dummy) that they now sell complete bikes with electric assist. Products - Xtracycle

BigDummy.

AD1, Ganado and Gator 45/70 like this.
  13. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Should go without saying, but spend some time learning to use those tools. Also, don't forget the spoke wrenches... I used to be able to get kevlar liners that went between the tube and tire, but don't see those any more.

If I have wheels built I get them done with a 4 cross pattern for extra strength (slightly heavier, but much stronger) and use plain spokes as they are less prone to breakage than chrome.

Gator 45/70 and AD1 like this.
  14. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

Ahh ghrit, you bring back memories. I had two sets of tires, one knobby set and a road set, but just on a regular old heavy single speed frame USA Bike. We called all multi speed bikes ENGLISH Junk because they could not keep up with us in the woods and disintegrated in about a year.

15. chimo

After decades of loaded, multi-day touring, I could write a book on this subject...but I'll try to start out brief and we can work from there.

If you are bugging out on a bike you are not only going to be loaded, you are probably going to be overloaded, trailer or not...which limits your choices of terrain. Before you start buying anything, load up a bike you have as if you were bugging out and ride some of the routes you are considering...it will be an eye-opening experience for you. Point being, odds are if you are bugging out on a bike your off road routes are going to be limited to fairly smooth, dry, paths over flat-to-rolling terrain. The last thing you need or want are knobby MTB tires...they're not the right tool for the job. What you want are good touring tires...which can come in both 26" sizes (like what is on most MTBs) and 700c tires like you find on road, xcross and hybrid bikes. I highly recommend the Schwalbe Marathon Plus Touring for this purpose. Yes, they are expensive...but well worth every cent. The most important piece of equipment on a bike you are staking your life on are the tires...don't skimp on them. Indeed, I'd much rather buy 4 expensive tires and tubes and 4 so-so tires, tubes and 2 extra wheels.

Speaking of that, your wheelset is also important...again you are going to be loaded...so you want wheels that can manage the load and won't taco on the first nasty bump you hit. Wheels and tires are where you want to get the best you can afford for any touring/bugout bike. I recommend one good wheel set and tires, then use the cheapies that come on the bike as your spares...or better yet, just keep the tires and tubes as spares...lugging around extra wheels isn't going to be easy and really isn't necessary if the wheels are well-built in the first place. DO carry spare spokes.

Ganado, Gator 45/70 and 3M-TA3 like this.
  16. chimo

I still remember my first "mountain bike"...it was an old Schwinn single-speed cruiser with the balloon tires, front spring/shock, fenders, chain guard, and coaster brake. I tore off the fenders and chain guard and flipped the handlebars and had a ball on it for years. Didn't even bother locking it...nobody else wanted the thing...it was the fancy 10 speeds that everybody was stealing. ;)

Gator 45/70 likes this.
  17. 3M-TA3

3M-TA3 Cold Wet Monkey

Like what on a bicycle these days isn't expensive (except sweat)? Those look like the bomb for bug out or even transportation after bugging in.

18. AD1

AD1 Monkey+++

Here are the shots of my mtb vs city tires

image. image. image.

Motomom34 and Ganado like this.
  19. chimo

Inverted tread tires like the Serfas Drifter which are currently on my Big Dummy) or Conti Town & Country are also great choices for a mix of pavement and trail.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

kellory, AD1, Motomom34 and 1 other person like this.
  20. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I believe that it is a great idea for those that have the room in their vehicle, to cary a folding bike, and use it for time to time, to both prove it, and to keep one's self in shape .
    It's not posible to cary one on the motorcycle I ride every day ,but I do have a 2 wheel break down cart I designed to be used in the event I must abandon the bike and hoof it.

1. DKR
  2. Motomom34
  3. Asia-Off-Grid
  4. Asia-Off-Grid
  5. ED GEiN
  6. yeti695
  7. Dunerunner
  8. Motomom34
  9. Ura-Ki
  10. GhostX
  11. Legion489
  12. Oltymer