Bidumb student loan bailout

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by johnbb, May 1, 2024.

1. johnbb

johnbb Monkey+++

I went to college many years ago by working and as a Vietnam vet using the GI bill ---never took. a loan out. It wasn't easy but my degree was debt free

Fast forward to todays whinny liberal students and this POS liberal in the Whitehouse and my tax dollars are being used for this
    President Joe Biden on Wednesday announced the approval of more than $6.1 billion in student loan debt relief for nearly 317,000 borrowers who were enrolled at any Art Institute campus from January 2004 until October 2017.
    Makes me sick

Hanzo, Bandit99, Alanaana and 5 others like this.
  2. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

Yeah, things have changed since I was in college. My parents paid the bills, and made certain that I went to class, studied, kept my grades up, and got a degree in something that would make me a useful citizen after graduation. Today, an 18-year-old signs a contract that provides them with almost unlimited funds for their "education", at almost any "school", in almost any "degree program"! Their parents may have no idea if they are attending classes, studying, getting passing grades or working toward a degree that will be of any use when they graduate! Fast forward four years and the kid is at least $100,000 in debt (2x that if they went to an elite school) with a degree in gender studies, modern dance, English Lit, etc. and nobody is hiring! So, they go to graduate school and rack-up more student loan debt and now they owe $250,000, or more. The best most can hope for is to be a professional student for the rest of their lives, win the lottery, have ALL of their relatives die in a freak accident and inherit everything, or get some desperate old fool to forgive your debts, because otherwise they will never be able to buy a car, own a house, travel, etc.! Some of the more ambitious will get a $15/hour job at Wal-Mart or whatever, pay their bills and have nothing!
    Somebody needs to tell these kids NO! when they want a huge loan to study fashion merchandising, modern dance, or literature and poetry, because otherwise they are going to have a huge debt and end up working at the mall, teaching ballet to little girls, or working in a bookstore! Passion is good, but it rarely pays the bills! That is what minors and elective studies are for, or they can always take night classes after graduation! Better to get education/training in something that will allow you to earn a living, pay your bills, and live the American Dream!

Last edited: May 1, 2024
  3. OzVegus

OzVegus Monkey

The cost of colleges, once all the private ones opened, just went up and up. Once they based the entry requirements on money, not academic achievement, the supply outstripped the demand. It was, like most things today, simply allowed as a way of increasing the debt supply. Now all that money is spent and gone but the debt remains, and when the government repays it more debt has to be created, which is what they need desperately now.

It's really a profound thing, this debt based economic model we live in. For it to function more and more debt must be created just so there is enough money in circulation to allow for the interest repayments on the old debt. It's why massive borrowings to help the ukraine, or to bail out banks, or any other ridiculous project is encouraged. It doesn't matter where the money goes, it goes into the economy, is taxed, the wages are taxed, the profits are taxed, and the government, and businesses, are able to siphon off enough to make their interest repayments on all the old debt. Most of the aid to the ukraine will stay onshore, will be given to Boeing, Raytheon etc.

You have to think a bit to get your head around it because it's never discussed in the media, it's completely hidden. They talk about the 34 nearly 35 Trillion in US debt but they never mention the $1 Trillion interest that has to be paid back this year. That's more than the total Social security budget, an amazing amount! Where does it come from? Well you might say taxes but those are already earmarked. It basically comes from the new borrowings, the issuance of treasury bonds. That $95 Billion for the ukraine and Israel for example, a chunk will be siphoned off directly and most of the rest goes to US corporations.

Try and search that up on the web, the search engines censor everything as we know and that's one story they bury. I could spend 30 minutes of my life digging it up but why bother, no one here will care. I have noticed in the past that people on forums like this just ignore the reality of life under their phony democratic systems. They choose instead to allow the mass media to whip them into an emotional frenzy over the cover stories.

John 18:37 Pilate therefore said unto him, Art thou a king then? Jesus answered, Thou sayest that I am a king. To this end was I born, and for this cause came I into the world, that I should bear witness unto the truth. Every one that is of the truth hears my voice.
    Pilate saith unto him, What is truth? And when he had said this, he went out again unto the Jews, and said unto them, I find in him no fault at all.

What is Truth? It's not something political leaders even understand.

Ura-Ki, Bandit99 and magicfingers like this.
  4. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

Only about 10-15% of the population needs to go to college, the rest could make do with high school, trade/tech school, or a 2-year associate degree. Education is a good thing, but what many college students are receiving today is not an education, nor is it worth going deeply into debt to acquire.

5. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

I never went to college. I couldn't see making my Daddy pay for it. I worked hard and learned skills and today am an engineer. I routinely get consulted because I can think outside of the box that formal edumacation put my peers into. Before that, I had risen to the top of the HVAC field, again solving issues that college trained engineers couldn't sort out. The truth us, the vast majority of college educations are wasted by educating people beyond their intelligence.

CraftyMofo and Ura-Ki like this.
  6. johnbb

johnbb Monkey+++

College has become a joke just look at what is going on today riots on campus and little or nothing is done to stop. it. We take payers foot the bill for their loans BULL SHIT

mysterymet, CraftyMofo and Ura-Ki like this.
  7. Wildbilly

Wildbilly Monkey+++

Yeah, do you think that those so-called "elite" students at those so-called "elite" schools have learned anything over the last few months? I remember reading an article several years ago about a student that left one of these so-called "elite" school in order to transfer to a state university. Apparently, he wanted to get an education, not listen to his professors' rant about their pet peeve or whatever was on NPR that morning. This semester has been a complete wash and should be repeated until they get it right!

Ura-Ki likes this.
  8. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

College trained engineers almost always graduate with 0 useful experience.
    That's where vehicles come from that require the tire and splash shield be removed to change the battery up under the car while it's on a lift.
    Where electrical engineers come from who don't know what a breaker or fuse looks like in real life.

Ura-Ki likes this.
  9. sasquatch91

sasquatch91 Monkey+++

All we are doing is teaching the new generation is that you can borrow money amd not have to pay it back! Sure wish they would pay off my credit card debt!

Ura-Ki and Bandit99 like this.
  10. Bandit99

Bandit99 Monkey+++ Site Supporter+

The good news is that things are indeed changing! The younger generation is fully aware of the uselessness of most degrees and the consequences of a lifetime of debt servitude. Obviously, Biden's educational debt forgiveness will not stand in court, and he knows this; however, he also knows that it will indeed buy him votes which his reasoning...

I did a 4-year degree in Computer Science but probably the only 12-15 months of it was spent studying computer science, the rest was fluff courses to give me a 'well rounded education' which I didn't ask for but was forced to pay. I wanted to study technology, specifically computers networks, databases, programming, networks etc. but of course the university knew better. Actually, I didn't learn much. I learned much more in my military service (Army Signal Corps, satellite and microware technician) and all the trade courses I took afterward (Cisco, Microsoft, etc.). Thankfully, most of my university studies were paid for by the G.I. Bill which is probably the only reason I finished. I did my last 1.5 years at night courses while working, that was tough and frankly, it wasn't worth it. I never got a promotion or pay raise due to my degree that I can remember. For me, it was just a box I wanted to check, and I did it without borrowing a penny...had to go into the military to finish degree but never borrowed any money.

Most young people I know are now turning to Trades and other marketable skills as the word is out about a lifetime of debt. Young people aren't dumb and most understand finances far better than students a few generations ago.

The main question here is what the hell is the federal government doing in the loan business to students anyway? Now, I could see if it was for specific and critical fields (doctors, scientists, engineers, etc.), hard sciences, but the vast majority of these students' degrees are not even needed. Do we need more lawyers? More art critics? More journalists? Are these fields critical to the nation? Frankly, they are not...

Personally, I think it's a huge racket and one that the Federal government should not be doing. The universities have grown into these monstress sizes because of this racket which they are simply taking advantage of and the old BS line of 'get a degree and get a good paying job' which is no longer the case. These loans need to be stopped! You want federal assistance to obtain a degree then join the military, do your time, and reap the benefits or go to a bank. The ONLY ones that benefit from these loans are the universities not the students or the nation.

Trump says he will do away with the federal Dept. of Education. I doubt it. He might try but I truly doubt he will be successful. Why? Big money involved. Billions. These universities will not stand for it.

mysterymet, sasquatch91 and Ura-Ki like this.
  11. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I'm super pissed at all this!
    I went to school on my own dime, even with the Vet benefits, I still had to pay out of pocket. My folks offered to help, but they were also helping both brothers with their higher learning bills! Fast forward and I find myself wanting more schooling, nothing major, just vocational type stuff I want. If I were going to one of these schools having protests, I would likely already be in jail for murder or worse, I am there to get an education that I my self am paying for, full price, no rich parents to float me, and your disrupting my learning and wasting my time, now your effecting my source of livelihood and future income, and I know full well any debt I incure will not be paid back to me by Obidens policies, I will be stuck with the full weight of it, as it should be! But here's the rub, I'm paying not only for mine, but now I'm also paying for yours and his and hers too, What The Actual Fuck, Over! So now I'm on the hook for your bills, bills you knowingly and willingly took on, and I'm supposed to STFU and be a good citizen and keep my mouth shut! Obidens has been shut down in this already, this is nothing but a sham to get mercy votes from all the students in up to their ears in debt, and I'm not going to pay one single penny toward it!

mysterymet, Bandit99 and johnbb like this.
  12. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

When I retired and was "Job Shopping" I noticed nearly 100% of the Jobs to which I might apply REQUIRED some sort of degree, non specific, And Without, you were not even considered and any application automatically went into the round file, PERIOD!
    It didn't even matter if the job even required having a degree, only that you had one, and all this was quite telling!

I decided that I would go to school on my one, learning trades I could use either directly or as part of a degree, but i wouldn't do it for "Credits" toward any degree or any of that, and I absolutely would NOT be taking any "Fluff Courses" like English, or Math, or any of the other "Required for a Degree courses" I would only take what I needed, and if I wanted the paper that said Masters, or what ever, I would/could challenge the courses minus the extra bullshit and get the fancy paper that said Ura-Ki is a Bachelor/Master!
    I took all sorts of class's, Welding, Gun Smithing, Aero A/P with advanced Propulsion systems and integration, more welding, and machine shop up to and including coding CNC as well as a basic computer class specifically for drafting CNC files! Did any of that equal a degree, or make me marketable, YES, and NO, I still didn't have the "Paper" that said I was ejumicated, only that I had some very advanced training, and more, I had actual experience!

I went on to find a "Job" working on the mountain, driving a grooming sno-cat, making $35.00 per hour,, plus shift differential and after going to advanced cat training and earning my winch cat certs, my wages went up to nearly $50.00 per hour! I LOVED working that job, would go back to doing it in a heart beat, but I started something else, something that paid far more, and though it was also far more dangerous, I made a fortune at it! As the mountain work was seasonal, it meant I only had an income for 4 to 6 months, 8 months with an especially good ( BAD) winter, so I needed to fill the rest of the year with gainful employment, so I bought a water tender and joined up with a local hot shot company. That single little tender ( Around 1200 gallon capacity) Paid me $1100.00 per hour, 12 hours a day weather I ran my ass off supplying water, or sat loaded and waiting on a job! It didn't take long to realise that the bigger the tender ( More Capacity) the more I could make, So I bought a much bigger Tender, ( 4500 Gallon) and my hourly went up to just over $2500 per hour! Obviously, the bigger and more trucks I owned, the more I could make, so I did that until I was writing million dollar plus checks every month and my blood pressure went through the roof, so I sold it for a YUGE profit, and went back to being "Retired" and loving every min of it!

These days, I don't work at all, if I want money for a new "Toy" or new equipment, I build an Aero engine for someone ( I have a LONG List of friends wanting/waiting) so I can make a few hundred grand a year if I really wanted. As it is, I do three of four engines a year, average cost is around $40K per engine, and I get by handsomely, all because of that A/P I went to school for for 2 years and cost me around $50K I also had to spend 2 years in the field to earn the full cert, and get signed off on, but it was WORTH the time and expense!
    Collage the way I did it was Well worth the expense, ( Around $120K total out of pocket) but I never went into debt, I had enough income to absorb the costs and continue working/earning the whole time! Now days, if I want to go to school for something, I just go, and I pay out of pocket, nd don't have to answer to anyone but my self!

Wife has ZERO debt, her School was paid for by the state, but cost her 2 years Military service and two years in the trenches working 18 hours shifts in the trauma center before she could then do an externship and finally, get a real job as a Doctor in a real hospital in Germany! When We got married, and moved back stateside, it was a bit of a challenge for her to find a decent job, and one that paid her her full worth as an experienced Doctor, but once she got hired, she was making YUGE income, enough that I didn't need to work, and we could put up a bunch of money, and have zero debt! Then COVID hit, Wife was forced to take retirement or get terminated and then have to fight to get her pension, so after a very lengthy fight with the hospital and lawyers, she got a fair settlement, and can go back to work any time if she wants, but now that I have achieved this level of wealth, there is no reason for ether one of us to work, EVER, so we don't!

13. natshare

natshare Monkey+++

JoBama isn't "forgiving" student loans. He's simply transferring the payback of them to us.

Bandit99, johnbb, sasquatch91 and 3 others like this.
  14. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

The only solace I get from this is most of the degrees are worthless in the modern workplace as a stand-alone credential.

Yeah, the tax payer got fucked by all this, agreed. However, a shit load of immoral liberalized youth wasted 4 or more years (10% of their working age years) dicking around on vacation absorbing trivia and propaganda.

sasquatch91 likes this.
  15. mysterymet

mysterymet Monkey+++

I got my engineering BS degree and masters in metallurgical engineering. Uncle Sugar paid for it and they sent me to the sandbox multiple times to get their money’s worth. If these snowflakes want their student loans paid for the military has a student loan repayment program. I think towns should bring back voc-tech high schools. Not everyone should go to college. Most jobs do not require degrees. Science, engineering, medical yes. Business, marketing, “leadership” hell no. All those useless “activist” degrees like anything with the name “studies” attached like women’s studies should NOT be eligible for student loans.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7