Billboard as home

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by DKR, Jul 29, 2018.

Tags:
  1. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

Mostly photos with some text to give context. I know the tiny Home thing is a hot topic for many - this looks just how tine some folks are willing to go. I'll make no comment on their sanity....

Here's the image that got me started:

[​IMG]
    This tiny home is located in Machado Mexico

[​IMG]
    former 'billboard trailers' converted to time homes.
    (see Billboard Trailers Turned into Tiny Parasite Apartments)

[​IMG]
    above link also had this image.

[​IMG]
    This is in Mexico City and is the home of....a sign painter.
    (Billboard House: Sign Painter’s Temporary Prefab Home Doubles as a Rooftop Advert in Mexico City)

Have you seen anything like this in your area?

2. HK_User

HK_User A Productive Monkey is a Happy Monkey

No

Motomom34 likes this.
  3. Zimmy

Zimmy Wait, I'm not ready!

There's something similar in Texas on I-30 maybe 50 miles from Texarkana.

I don't know if there's a dwelling behind the signs but there's a patio, grill, and chairs on a platform above it.

GrayGhost likes this.
  4. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Some of those places look like squatter homes. Whoever looks behind billboards. Some billboards are placed near a forest so there would be privacy.

GrayGhost likes this.
  5. GrayGhost

GrayGhost Monkey+++

Yeah...I think I'd have to pass on those.
    You'd be surprised the places people will set up camp, especially along highways and such, if you look close enough.

Motomom34 likes this.
  6. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

I wonder what the ratio is ,of those folks that are rich and live as cheaply as possible ,to those that live that way because they have no other means?

Zimmy likes this.
  7. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

"squatter homes" or squatter (homeless) camps are not unique to the US.

@arleigh you are seeing many go small to try and save what 'wealth' they still have. My property taxes are now more than my mortgage payments totaled when we first bought our house, I'm sure I'm not alone in this.

The Muni here just passed zoning to allow so-called Granny cabins on smaller lots so older homeowner can rent out their homes and live in a little place put back.....\\

Very tight housing (no more land left to build on here) and high rents make this a tough place to live - even if you make 40K/yr, which is the "poverty level" (welfare kicks in) for a family of 3 in Anchorage.

Rent on a small studio apt on Welfare Hill starts at $685/month plus the cost of electric, parking or any other service (cable etc) service. This for a 460 sq ft studio. This is 1950's military barracks - sold off and converted to apts. ($1.50 sq ft) - ALso. you have to 'qualify' to rent there.

Non-subsidized apt start at $730 for 33 sq ft ($2.21 sq ft) - plus electricity or gas.

As the neighborhood gets 'better' the space shrinks and price climbs ($815/245 sq ft) all the way to the 'good' side of town and you see ($975/460 sq ft)`. Plus first and last, security and damage deposit, utility deposit and so on.

I can see where a well built 'tiny home' would hold a lot of interest for a segment of the population.

Zimmy likes this.
  8. arleigh

arleigh Goophy monkey

Long ago my parents bought what they called in the old days was an Auto Court. It was a fisherman's camp.
    A 12x14 cabin= bed room and kitchen ,that's it.
    There was a out side out house and shower and a hand pump well for water .
    If you go to a KOA (Kamp Of America) It's basically the same thing, with community toilet, shower, and kitchen .
    If you don't clean up after your self you loose it. As well it should be .
    Camp communities could become a way of life .

Zimmy likes this.
  1. mechstdr
  2. Dunerunner
  3. Coyote Ridge
  4. TinyDreams
  5. Dunerunner
  6. deMolay
  7. Dunerunner
  8. Asia-Off-Grid
  9. oil pan 4
  10. Asia-Off-Grid
  11. Asia-Off-Grid