biolite camostove energy

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by marlas1too, Feb 20, 2016.

1. marlas1too

marlas1too Monkey+++

Motomom34 likes this.
  2. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

I have seen these and I know they are mentioned in a couple of threads here. Someone just showed me the Basecamp stove. That is big and looks amazing. BioLite BaseCamp | Wood Burning Stove and Grill.

As cool as they are and I think it is a really neat concept, I can't get past the whole needing to recharge you electronics while in the woods. I dislike our dependence on handheld devices. People do not use their heads, not when they can have a device think for them. It is a personal thing.

stg58, Tikka and kellory like this.
  3. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

@Motomom34
    Same here. At our campsite, we can't hit a cell tower, no internet etc.and we have books for rainy days. It is really nice to take a break from the "modern" world. About 10-12 miles down the road, there is cell service.

Motomom34 likes this.
  4. psychotic1

psychotic1 Monkey+

I've had my eye on this for a while now, and have thought about it even longer. For me, it comes down to a couple of things that I like very much. 1. It's a rocket type stove, and uses a much smaller amount of wood to cook with than an open fire. 2. I like the device charging aspect, and think I would use it a lot post SHTF.

If I'm cooking rice, or boiling wheat berries if I can't grind them for flour, there is a medium to long time for the cooking. The lower fuel usage to get the same cooking is an obvious advantage. And since I'm going to have to keep a pot of water boiling for 2 hours to cook the wheat berries, why shouldn't I get some electrical charging of my laptop or tablet as well. I've got an awful lot of information stored in digital form, and plan on having it afterwards, and this provides an easy way to charge a device so I can read and or print off some of that info.

Sure, there are easier ways to create electricity for charging, but this seems like a pretty nice and convenient method to me.

Just my thoughts, YMMV.

Bruce

kellory likes this.
  5. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

AlaskaChick got a really Cool non-Grid Reading Light, for Christmas... It uses a Small Tea Candle, to Power a Peltier Junction, that feeds a set of High Lumin LED Lights... One Tea Candle powers the Light for about 4 Hours... Manufactured by the same Folks that build the EcoFan Product.... http://www.amazon.com/dp/B007U2AYG6/?tag=survivalmonke-20

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
    kellory likes this.
  6. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

I own the small one, pack size. Don't think about charging your cell phone. Think about charging the battery for your NV or comms. It makes it easier to justify and they work well.

7. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Weather radio, GPS, Flashlight, ham portable radio, water UV sterilizer. (Just a few item that would be good to keep charged)

8. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

Lewis & Clark nor Daniel Boone had all that stuff and they lived to tell tales. IMO people need to learn to think for themselves, not have gadgets. GPS- get a map. I know there is a link on here to find the topo map for your area.

9. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

But both those outfits had local Indian Guides, to teach them how to not get eaten by the local Wildlife...Not sure I would trust today's local Indians for that information....

Motomom34 likes this.
  10. kellory

kellory An unemployed Jester, is nobody's fool. Banned

Lewis and Clark took two years, 4 months and 10 days to travel 3700 miles. I think we can do a little better than that.

1. JC Refuge
  2. Andy the Aussie
  3. Coyote Ridge
  4. ColtCarbine
  5. DKR
  6. DKR
  7. Hillbilly549
  8. deMolay
  9. Hillbilly549
  10. Motomom34
  11. DKR
  12. DKR