1. The Topic of the Month for October is "Make this the Perfect Bugout Location". Please join the discussion in the TOTM forum.

Black powder

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by RAYARTHART, Oct 12, 2009.

RAYARTHART Monkey+++

We have any black poowder shooters out there. Black powder may be an old thing and when you shoot it everyone can see where you are. But (and I say that carefully) in a pinch a blackpowder weapon can kill you just as a modern weapon can. You may not have the distance or the fire power, but they still can kill.
  2. Quigley_Sharps

Quigley_Sharps The Badministrator Administrator Founding Member

I hunt big game with a 54 Hawkins
  3. RouteClearance

RouteClearance Monkey+++ Site Supporter

I have well over 20 blackpowder rifles and revolvers, a mix of Flintlock and percussion, and a hand made Matchlock.

One other thing about Blackpowder, you can make it yourself.
  4. tacmotusn

tacmotusn Mosquito Sailor

2 rifles that I shoot often enough to know their pet loads. One scoped one not. Taken plenty of deer with both. I sure wouldn't want to be hit with a .530 soft lead round ball if it were me. 2 hand made single shot pistols, 45 cal and 54 cal. pet loads well known for them too. They shoot true for me to 25 yards, probably a good bit farther but I don't push it. One fine 45 cal Ruger Old Army in Stainless Steel 6 shot revolver. It will get it done also. 24 pounds of 2f and 3f Goex real black powder and several thousand caps and a ton of lead mined from spent government 45ACP ranges while in the service. I think I am prepared for the worst. Oh, and I too have dabbled with making my own black powder. I have a couple books on it. Its a messy pain mixing the ingredients up with urine as the binder, corning it through a screen and drying it but it did work. Loads of fun when it goes bang and gets the job done.
  5. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Adventure Riding Monkey Founding Member

I have three cap&ball revolvers and an inline TC rifle I play with now and again. Cleanup is a PITA, but they are fun to shoot, and more accurate than many people think!
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary