Blackout in Tucumcari NM

Discussion in 'Off Grid Living' started by oil pan 4, May 26, 2023.

1. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Storm causes Tucumcari outage
    Apparently Tucumcari NM is way out there on its own distribution branch as part of the Texas power grid, which I did not know. So it's not interconnected to anywhere else. It's so remote that the utility company gave Tucumcari it's own backup power generation station should something happen to the transmission station on either end or the power line be severed.
    On may 24, 2023 a tornado wrecked 20+ transmission towers that feed 115kv power to the city located on I-40.
    The backup power generation plant wouldn't come on like because of controls issues, computers that control the power plant wouldn't talk to each other. They just needed to find someone who knew what they were doing to come out and fix it.
    Well I know crews didn't repair 20 transmission towers in 2 days so it looks like they got the power plant going.
    2023-05-26 09.35.34.

Last edited: May 26, 2023
    CharlieDaniels and duane like this.
  2. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

The population was 5,278 at the 2020 census

Surprised they even rated a BU power plant.

3. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

See the problem is I'm on South West Area Transmission grid and stuck out there out there like Tucumcari is on Texas grid.
    2023-05-27 09.55.47.

4. Tempstar

Tempstar Monkey+++

Lee Van Cleef made the train stop there once....

SB21 likes this.
  5. DKR

DKR Raconteur of the first stripe

USed to drive thru there from Tucson on the way to Paola KS. for summers with Grandma.

6. SB21

SB21 Monkey+++

That was my exact thought as well ,,, I never knew the place actually existed till this thread .
    On another note ,, it's an all day Clint Eastwood movie day on Grit TV ,, if ya feel like being lazy all day.

7. T. Riley

T. Riley Monkey+++

I'll take the Texas Grid any day. It took a prolong freak (once in my lifetime of 73 years) ice storm to take it down partially in February 2021. I never lost power in East Texas. It is the only time to my knowledge it has ever failed. During the power grid crisis, all sources of electricity struggled during the frigid temperatures. The inability of power plants to perform in the extreme cold was the No. 1 cause of the outages last year. During the February 2021 winter storm, transmission companies inadvertently cut power to parts of the natural gas supply chain when ERCOT ordered the utilities to reduce power demand or risk further damage to the grid. That decision aggravated the problem as natural gas producers were unable to deliver enough fuel to power plants. At the same time, some wells were unable to produce as much natural gas due to the freezing conditions. Since then, the Texas Legislature has required the electric companies to prepare for even a once in a lifetime storm.

Cruisin Sloth likes this.
  8. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Parts of the Texas grid almost collapsed in 2017 or 2018 due to high summer demand.
    The wind must be part of a union because when it's time for a break. It's time for a break. And gave out across the panhandle and thermal plants almost couldn't keep up.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7