Blasphemy!

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Minuteman, May 18, 2009.

1. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

I committed blasphemy yesterday. I spent the weekend set up at a local gun show. Selling a few "investments" due to recent work shortage.

Last week I was going through my gun safes picking out what I wanted(needed) to part with. I was looking for redundencies. I have several .45 caliber pistols so I figured it wouldn't hurt too much to part with one of them. But which one?

I have been a die hard 1911 man since I bought my first one some 25+ yrs ago. I only recently acquired a tupperware, dishwasher safe, plastic gun.

So which one to sell? My Springfield Armory 1911 w/ Videcki trigger, Novak low mount sights, extended beavertail grip safety, skeletonized hammer, ambidextrous safety, Hoque rubber wraparound grips, OD green armor cote finish w/ 8rd clip, or, Springfield Armory 4" XD with accessory rail, surefire light and 4 13 rd clips?

You would think it would be an easy decision. But I (gasp) decided to sale the 1911. And it sold.

My reasoning for keeping the XD was the mounted flashlight, and the high capacity clips. Plus the fact that the tupperwares are much more prevalent at gun shows than a good 1911. ( a sad comment on the mindset of todays shooters!) And the fact that I have a "Micro-Compact" version that is identical to the full sized one. And my daily carry gun.

So I sold my "loaded" 1911 and left the tupperware in the safe. Or did I leave it in the dishwasher? I'll have to go check.

I feel like a traitor. I feel dirty. :oops:

2. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

MM, you know my well documented affinity for both, as such I think you made the right choice. The 1911 sold a lot quicker than the XD would have, and it sold for more. I am happy with either a 1911 or a XD, and I alternate carrying them concealed. Yesterday I had to take the family to the mall as my oldest is being awarded from her high school and she needed (another) dress, and (another)suit for her competition at state this year. So being in the hazardous environment that is the mall, I elected for a high-speed low drag tactical polo shirt, covering my Les Baer Thunder Ranch Special 1911 .45, housed in it's Milt Sparks Versa Max II, attached to a El Paso Saddlery 1 5/8ths stamped leather belt, also to which was attached a double magazine carrier with two magazine loaded with the fashionable Federal 230 gr. Hydra-Shok cartridges.

Now that you sold that 1911, you should know that it is not WWJD, but rather WWJC? That's right, what would Jesus carry? A 1911 .45. [beat]

3. Minuteman

Minuteman Chaplain Moderator Founding Member

I like them both too. But I never thought I would choose a tupperware over a slabside. (especially after ribbing Melbo so much about his affinity for Glocks) But each has it's own job. When I'm out on the town I have the micro-compact 1911. I like the shorter barrel. But at home I have the XD close to hand. The flashlight let's me grab it and go when I hear the dogs raising cain at night. (usually a racoon too close to the fence) but the 13 rds give me enough firepower to defend the castle if need be where I only need the 7 rds in the 1911 to end a threat or give me time to get away from a threat when out and about.

I liked the pistol I sold but it has set idle in the safe for a year or more. At least someone will be getting some use out of it.

4. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

A shooting/riding buddy of mine made the same choice here recently. He sold four hunting rifles, to help offset the cost of the new Toy-hauler TT he's buying. He had not been keeping up with the gun market post-2008-Immaculate-Deception - so they sold immediately. he figured he made a good profit, compared to what he'd paid for them - and the buyers figured they made a killing, buying for well less than current market value. But that's good - both parties came away satisfied. :D

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7