Blue fireflies in Coastal NC in December?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by hot diggity, Dec 5, 2018.

1. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

I heard an Osprey flying low last night and looked up to see if the pilot had the blue lights on the tips of the rotors lit up. This is always an interesting sight, two big blue rings of light in the sky. It was overcast and in the mid 40's, so I wasn't expecting to see much... but what I saw was amazing!

Had my eyes not been expecting blue light in the sky I might have missed them, but high in the pines and hardwoods were thousands of blue fireflies. I saw one that was still, and had a continuous blue glow. Most just flashed, and had no reaction to flashing a light at them. Several in the pines, possibly because they had less back-lighting, looked like blue streaks in the sky.

It was impossible to capture a picture with my phone, and I'm not finding much on-line about bugs that would be expected right here on the beach. Blue Ghost Fireflies seem to meet the description
    but their range doesn't seem to be this far East, or are they see in the tree tops.

Any ideas why I have trees that look like somebody strung tiny blue Christmas lights in them?

2. hot diggity

[​IMG]This is how they looked, but they were only at the tops of the trees.

3. Lancer

Lancer TANSTAFL! Site Supporter+++

Mist droplets being illuminated by a UV laser? It's a bit brisk around here for insects...

4. Gator 45/70

Gator 45/70 Monkey+++

Learn something new everyday,Thanks!

Ura-Ki, techsar and oldman11 like this.
  5. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Here in Florida, our fireflies come out in June, and are always the basic greenish-yellow.

Ura-Ki, Gator 45/70 and techsar like this.
  6. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

Yeah we didn't use the rotor tip lights because it made too many UFO reports.

Ura-Ki, oldman11, SB21 and 1 other person like this.
  7. BTPost

BTPost Stumpy Old Fart,Deadman Walking, Snow Monkey Moderator

It would seem that Rotor Tip Lights should be Inferred LED Emitters, so as to be NOT visible in normal Night Operations, but easily seen with the NightVision Googles now used by most Night Operations Pilots who are supporting Ground Operations....

Ura-Ki, oldman11 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  8. hot diggity

They tend to vary from blue to green depending on the night.
    [​IMG]

9. oil pan 4

oil pan 4 Monkey+++

There are IR emitters too.

Ura-Ki, Gator 45/70 and oldman11 like this.
  10. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Cool! First I have seen of rotor tip lights. I'd imagine it improves night ops safety for ground crew too.

11. hot diggity

I contacted the County Agricultural extension agent and asked if they knew anything about blue flashing lights in the trees. They didn't, but one lives in the same area where I saw them last night and said she'd look in her trees tonight. They asked if I could catch one. :) That's a bit of a challenge at the top of a mature Long Leaf Pine.

Lancer, oldman11, Ura-Ki and 2 others like this.
  12. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

Spider eyes reflect light and look like little stars....

Motomom34, oldman11, SB21 and 2 others like this.
  13. hot diggity

Blue stars? These were definitely flying around. It's 37 degrees already this evening, so I'm hoping to find one that has gotten cold and is on the ground.

14. hot diggity

It was 35 when I got to the grove of trees with the strange blue lights. They were just as active tonight as last night. I sat and watched them for a few minutes and found that the lights seemed to be running up and down the branches, and not flying about.
    I also noticed that the only place they were doing the blue streamer thing was up at the top of the more distant pine trees. I got a beer and watched these lights with more interest. Occasionally there was a red flash. That was new. I walked back from the trees and found the lights were visible from more than 50 yards, but seemed to only be on a few more distant trees, at their very tops. It looked like something electrical. I thought maybe some exotic illuminated fungus had attacked the trees.

The answer to this mystery was revealed as I drove away from the mysterious lights. On the front of a house that backs up to the trees with the odd lights was a projected display of Christmas lights, and that moving display was primarily blue and red. The house, which was completely dark from the back was a raucous display of flashing and moving lights. The entire front of the house was lit up by the projector, with the uppermost portion of the display extending above the roof... and onto the tree tops beyond.

[​IMG]

15. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

DOH! But now you know.

oldman11, Gator 45/70 and hot diggity like this.
  16. hot diggity

Makes me wonder hos the FAA feels about these lights.

oldman11, SB21 and Gator 45/70 like this.
  17. hot diggity

And what a Christmas story I have to tell the kids around the camp fire! :)

18. hot diggity

Now I have to find a way to play with these myself. Make the neighbors think they're seeing things at night. Lots of potential here.

This could be more of a surprise than shooting bottle rockets into the East China Sea and seeing lights flashing around under the water after each explosion. I'm not sure who was more surprised, us or the poor divers.

Ura-Ki, Motomom34, SB21 and 1 other person like this.
  19. DarkLight

DarkLight Live Long and Prosper - On Hiatus

Wait until it's overcast with a low cloud cover and point the projector straight up almost straight up. Wait for the 10:00 news.

20. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

I have seen some pretty amazing natural light shows in my years traveling around the world, but I have never seen blue fireflies!

Just a note, most u.s. mil rotorwing aircraft have lit rotors, some are purely infrared, while others lime the Osprey are visible to the naked eye! On the Osprey, there are both systems, the reason is for night time operations close to the ground to help and the crew in avoiding obstacles as well as to aid in night refueling, given that the Osprey has such a broad speed range, it's important to be able to see the rotor disks during the entire operation to avoid an accident that could get a bunch of folks killed! They are pretty awesome to ride in and to see in action, especially at night!

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 6, 2018
    oldman11, Gator 45/70 and SB21 like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7