Blueberry picking

Discussion in 'The Green Patch' started by Bishop, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

Went out yesterday picking blue berry s KIMG0768_02.JPG KIMG0769_02.JPG KIMG0770_01.JPG

2. Motomom34

Motomom34 Monkey+++

How much did you pick? And what are you going to do with your harvest? Love blueberries. They are so easy to freeze and use.

Seepalaces and Sgt Nambu like this.
  3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

WAY early; another week will heavy up those bushes. (Up here, picking is mid July ---)

4. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

Going to make jam with jalapeno peppers for making jerky some went into pan cakes this morning

We picked on a 22 Acer farm that had 8 different types the ones in the picture were called sweet crisp but we have a big mix of all 8 only got 6 pounds.

Seepalaces, Motomom34 and Sgt Nambu like this.
  5. Asia-Off-Grid

Asia-Off-Grid RIP 11-8-2018

This thread reminded me of a particular time when my aunt, my mom and yours truly, went to a blueberry farm and picked blueberries. I was just a boy, maybe preteens. It was a wonderful memory.

Thank you, very much.

6. Sgt Nambu

Sgt Nambu RIP 4/19/2018

Reminds me of a family story. When my grandparents immigrated from OR to a homestead in Saskatchewan they, like everyone else around, harvested wild blueberries which grew in multiple acre masses in the area. Unfortunately, they were competing with some very large and aggressive Canadian Black Bears! After a couple of pretty bad scares, because my aunts and uncle were small children, he decided that his Winchester .25/35 just wasn't enough gun. So, he traded it in on a Remington M-8 Autoloading Rifle, In .35 Rem. He felt much better after that, even harvesting tasty berry fed Black Bear on occasion!

A moment off topic, I wish you all could talk with my gramps for an hour! He had wonderful stories about homestead life on the great plains of Canada! My favorite was about going out with the White Russians, who had fled the Bolshevik Revolution to the area, to course wolves with Russian Wolfhounds and racing along in horse drawn sleds to get to the kill before the dogs damaged the hide too badly! Lots of excitement up there!

IMG_0876.JPG

Seepalaces, Motomom34 and Ura-Ki like this.
  7. Ura-Ki

Ura-Ki Grampa Monkey

That is one Rifle I have always wanted, especially if I could find one in .308 win!!!
    We have quite the blue berry patch up here, and we have the Bear to go with it too, he saw fit to keep me outta the berry fields last season, but this years crops look even bigger then ever, so this year I'm thinking of taking the scatter gun out on picking days just to keep him honest!

8. Bishop

Bishop Monkey+++

I have one in 300 Savage

Seepalaces, Sgt Nambu and Ura-Ki like this.
  1. Alanaana
    Media

Starfruits!

In flight
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 25, 2024, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  2. Alanaana
  3. Alanaana
    Sugarloaf White Pineapples are my favorite!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, May 11, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  4. Alanaana
    Media

Bananas

It's Bananas B-A-N-A-N-A-S!
    Uploaded by: Alanaana, Feb 23, 2023, 0 comments, in album: Alana's_Adventures
  5. Dunerunner
  6. alaskachick
  7. Motomom34
  8. Motomom34
  9. TnAndy
  10. natshare
  11. Seepalaces
  12. Asia-Off-Grid
  13. Bishop
    Thread

The harvest

how to clean a deer . . . . [MEDIA]