1. We've made all our Resources available to guests - would you consider a donation to support us?
    Please don't hotlink directly to these files, share the url from this page's address bar.

Military Manuals Bluejacket Manual 1947

All the information that a seaman in the US Navy should know..

1. Dont

Dont Just another old gray Jarhead Monkey

Dont submitted a new resource:

Bluejacket Manual - All the information that a seaman in the US Navy should know..

Read more about this resource...

kellory, Motomom34, tacmotusn and 3 others like this.
  2. duane

duane Monkey+++

As a kid I used to read my uncle's 1930's copy. Well worth reading and really suitable for SHTF. They used flags,, hand carts, semaphore and all the non electric stuff that wold work even after an EMP event and most of it can be rebuilt by hand if needed. Was a time when every member of the US forces were both part of a team and expected to get along alone if needed. Now we need resupply and tech and a mass of people and resources in order to do anything.

chelloveck likes this.
  3. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

Current editions of the BJM are softer than the middle of the last century, more directed toward current thinking than hard skills, and reflects the changes in organization that has taken place over the last 20 or so years. Still, if you want to get a flavor of the Navy, it's a pretty good source. There just isn't much on seamanship. The art and skill of small boat handling (and specifically rowing and sailing small boats) just ain't there these days. I have both my father's tenth edition and my own 16th. Very different books, but still more skill and tradition oriented than the current 24 ed.

Dont and chelloveck like this.
  4. Dont

Got a 1940 copy in HI some years ago and looked for a PDF version.. Well, this time searching came through.. found a lot that I knew, however, I found a lot that didn't know as well..

Feeling kinda inspired and have a couple old books that I had tried to find PDF versions but failed.. Gonna give them another try..

kellory, Yard Dart and tacmotusn like this.
  5. Dont

My father had told me in 1975 that the reason he was going to retire was "there where no longer any able bodied seamen".. Did not understand at the time, however, reading this book had brought it home for me..

6. Pax Mentis

Pax Mentis Philosopher King |RIP 11-4-2017

Late 50's or early 60's I had one from my older brother...I remember learning a lot from it. At least enough that I didn't join the Navy.

Yard Dart and Dont like this.
survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7