BM59 to M1A

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by EMSguy11, Aug 14, 2011.

1. EMSguy11

EMSguy11 Monkey+

I am doing some leg work for a buddy of mine who just purchased a BM59. The rifle has M1A stock, bbl, bolt ect ect. M1 receiver of course. BM59 trigger group. Comparing with my Springfield M1A I have came to the conclusion that if I replace and modify the guide rod and housing (to accept M1A mags) and replace the trigger group and modify the receiver some to take the M1A trigger group it should be a knock off M1A. Does anyone have any experience, suggestions, or thoughts? Or know of a different forum to point me toward. He is on a limited buget with only 225 bucks in this rifle.... not bad if you ask me and the modification is worth a shot.
    Thanks.

2. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

Cannot imagine why anyone would want to modify a BM59 into a M1A...sort of like changing a volkswagon into a GMC..surely could be done but absolutely no intelligent reason why it should be.

3. VisuTrac

VisuTrac Ваша мать носит военные ботинки Site Supporter+++

I can think of 1 thing.
    Magazine Cost!

4. EMSguy11

EMSguy11 Monkey+

exactly. mags are 110+ a piece. Its almost all the way converted besides the trigger group. I'm just seeing if anyone has any experience doing this conversion.

5. ch139

ch139 Monkey+

Real (semi-auto) BM59?

Sell it and with the proceeds buy an M1A, magazines, ammo and pocket the rest of the money.

6. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

As Cabellas has one for sale at $3K I'd do some researching before I modified it.

In the Gun Library

7. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Sounds like it already has been heavily modified - takes away much of it's one-time value. Mod away and enjoy it.

8. Tikka

Tikka Monkey+++

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7