Bolt action is Great Survival Gun too

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by Legion489, Dec 26, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Tully Mars

Tully Mars Metal weldin' monkey

I don't own a scout rifle, but most I've messed with are set with the eye relief closer to the 9" mark. A couple were a few inches further out.

2. AxesAreBetter

AxesAreBetter Monkey+++

I think that I had a Burris, and hated it. Could be wrong though. sold the scope with the gun.

3. D2wing

D2wing Monkey+

I personally do not agree much with the scout idea. A scope that far away is a distraction to me. It works for quick close shots if you like it. But to me it offers no advantage. To me no sights or a red dot is better since I have extensive training in point shooting. But I like a real scope for precision. Also I like standard length guns depending on the use. To me a scout rifle gives up key advantages of the bolt action to start with. Range and precision. Not that it is wrong, just not my cup of tea. A bolt action does have some real advantages. Light, nice handling, more reliable, more precise and powerful depending on cartridge.

4. D2wing

D2wing Monkey+

I don't think Cooper had any faith at all in any semi auto carbines. He definitely thought the AR, AK, and .M1 ..30 cal carbine were weak cartridges. He must have thought the M-14 and Garand were to big and heavy or had no faith in semi autos . Very old school. But he makes valid points for his day not all wrong today.

5. hot diggity

hot diggity Monkey+++ Site Supporter+++

The enormous advantage of bolt actions (and all other manually operated actions) for me is the ability to cycle downloaded ammo in a large caliber rifle just as easily as standard loads. This allows shooting of nearly silent (without a suppressor) subsonic loads, and light projectile (00 buckshot) small game loads.

1. 3M-TA3
  2. Matei
  3. Yard Dart
  4. Yard Dart
  5. hot diggity
  6. Oddcaliber
  7. Dont
  8. oil pan 4
  9. Oddcaliber
  10. Yard Dart
  11. Marvin L. Steinhagen
  12. Ura-Ki