Bore sighting

Discussion in 'Firearms' started by kckndrgn, Dec 20, 2006.

1. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

OK, I'm borrowing a friends laser bore sighter so I can dial in my scope on my 30-30. At one point it was dead on, but over the years (and moving a half dozen times) it has been nudged out of alignment.

When I put the laser in the bore (after triple checking there was no ammo anywhere near me) I looked at the iron sights. I noticed that at about 20 yds the iron sight was pointing about 1" above the laser dot. This could be me, but I checked and I could not adjust the iron sight "down" anymore, oh well, I know to aim slightly above my target. (again, this could just be me, I'll recheck my sight picture and alignment again just to be sure.

Now for the scope. Well lets just say that after doing the adjustments, I can no longer adjust the POA and the crosshairs are about 2" higher than the laser dot. OK, so, it looks like something needs to get shimmed or some adjustments need to be made, but I am absolutly clueless as to how to go about it.

For the record, this is a Marlin 30-30 with over/under sights (I can use the iron sights or the scope). It will prolly be spring time before I can do some actual shooting with it to really zero in the scope, but I want to the the boresighting done now so I can return the laser.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Ryan

2. magnus392

magnus392 Field Marshall Mags Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

I use bore sighting to only get me on paper and that is all the manufacturers will even say they are good for. So I would hang with what you have, then test fire. I really doubt you will be shooting at anything within twenty yards of yourself anyway. Where the Irons off, or just he Scope? If the irons where on, a ghetto way to sight minue the bore sighter is to fix the rifle in vise or rifle rest and aim at something 20-30 yards away and mark the spot where your shot "would hit" with a tape "X" then adjust your scope onto the "X". There is no substitute for actual sighting in with live ammo IMHO.

3. kckndrgn

kckndrgn Monkey+++ Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Magnus,
    Ya, I only intend on using the laser to get "close". Last year I tried to sight the scope in but it was so far off that after 30 rounds, I was no closer to being sighted in than when I started. Using the laser, I could see why. I know I'm closer now, but it seems I had the tweak the elevation to it's max just to get it close, now I fear I if I have to adjust anymore in the same direction I won't be able to. It's almost like the rear mount needs to be shimmed up some, is that even possible?
    I think the iron sights are going to be ok, I still just need much more "range" time with this gun. Too bad I can't shoot it a my local indoor range.

Ryan

4. E.L.

E.L. Moderator of Lead Moderator Emeritus Founding Member

Years ago I had the same setup and it caused a few problems for me. I took off the over/under rings,which while I couldn't use both the sights and scope at the same time seemed to correct the problems , try a new scope mount/rings. The over/under were also so high I had problems getting a good consistent cheek weld.

Then I gave the rifle (yes GAVE) it to my brother-in-law who I doubt has shot it in the last four years.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7