Bore Snakes by Hoppes

Discussion in 'Functional Gear & Equipment' started by tacmotusn, Jun 9, 2010.

1. tacmotusn

tacmotusn RIP 1/13/21

For quick and easy, perfectly satisfactory, simple bore cleaning are there any real negatives to the use of a Hoppes Bore Snake? Having a small bottle of CLP and the bore snake for the caliber I am shooting is all I need to quickly clean and lube the bore of my favorite rifle after firing a few rounds. Granted every now and then detail stripping and cleaning is advisable, but for the every day convienence and being ready to clean set up what are the negatives? I am impressed and sold on this system. Price of a bore snake runs $9 to $15 or so

2. ghrit

ghrit Bad company Administrator Founding Member

The only downside is that you have to clean the snake. Very good for a quicky at the range, but no so fine for much more. If your bore is foul, the snake will get it out, and re-deposit on the second pass. (I have an use one for the shotty between rounds at trap, and for the 45 once in a long while if I feel like it.)

3. Lawmaker

Lawmaker Monkey+

What he said. It does an ok job but not an excellent job.

4. Huntinbull

Huntinbull Monkey+

I use a bore snake often. I find that if you use a spray carbon cleaner in the bore before the pull through with the bore snake, the solvent collects the fouling. Every couple cleanings i wash mine in a pillow case with my shop towels and dawn dish soap. Works like a champ.

Obviously my firearms get a good strip down and cleaning when they need it, but for simple range maintenance it does the job.

Bison_Forge, ghrit and Brokor like this.
  5. Brokor

Brokor Live Free or Cry Moderator Site Supporter+++ Founding Member

Bore snakes are one of the greatest inventions ever. I keep one of every caliber for bug-out ready to go. They definitely beat the swab-patch method in the field, too. You don't need to use a ton of CLP on the snake; typically a few drops and two passes will do fine to clean the bore perfectly. It takes quite a bit to dirty up the bore snake --if you are the type who frequents the range and shoots several times a week, I can see where this may become a burden...for this, I recommend traditional cleaning. I think of the bore snake as a field cleaning tool, perfectly suited for compact storage and easy use.

As was already mentioned, cleaning the bore snake with a little dish detergent works great. I just drop them in a small bucket with Palmolive and soak for a few minutes, then wring and rinse.

6. Pyrrhus

Pyrrhus Monkey+++

I have a bore snake for every caliber I own and for two I don't. I have to clean my issued weapons monthly, and I try real hard to remember to take my snake with me to the armory when I do. While it is true that the armorers work for me and might not tell me that my weapons were dirty even if they were, I have told them to treat me more harshly than others and to never let me turn in a dirty weapon. When I use the snakes, the armorers give me no flak. I like them, but buy one for one caliber and try it out. It's not much of an investment for one.

7. Seacowboys

Seacowboys Senior Member Founding Member

I stepped on a bored snake and he didn't even hiss..just kinda looked at me and stuck his tongue out.
    [CRC]

kellory and Cephus like this.
  8. beast

beast backwoodsman

was his belly full?

9. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

Probably the wrong caliber for your guns...... he'd have been right PO'd had you stuffed him down a rifle bore......

kellory likes this.
  10. Opinionated

Opinionated Monkey+

I propose this:

After a shooting session, clean your weapon with a bore snake.

Follow with a solvent wetted patch . . . or three or five . . on a jag.

After doing this myself I came to the conclusion the bore snake is indeed handy for an on the fly "bore wipe". But . . . well, I' not calling my weapons cleaned until they have had the bore done conventionally.

Maybe its just me . . . . I am kinda funny about that stuff . . seesaw

11. CraftyMofo

CraftyMofo Monkey+++

I liked em so much i sent a box of 6 over to our boys in Afghanistan. I can just imagine what its like to get back to base, and have to spend your free time cleaning a rifle. They save me a ton of time. I agree that they are not as good as a real hoppes patch/jag, but pretty darn close.

12. Seawolf1090

Seawolf1090 Retired Curmudgeonly IT Monkey Founding Member

I actually hace a couple - .22 and .20 caliber - but have yet to use them. I always carry an AR15 surplus rod/cleaning kit in my shooting bag, and some borecleaner - I just clean the rifles at the range before leaving, if not pressed for time.

13. cranky1

cranky1 Monkey++

i just saturate the top 3 inches with freds red and do a couple of passes. works great. cheers jim

14. Witch Doctor 01

Witch Doctor 01 Mojo Maker

I've used them when shooting corrosive ammo... use some ammonia/windex on one for a few passes and a second with hoppes.... dosent replace a full cleaninng but will keep you going until youn can....

15. I use one. But only really to do a quick clean up when I shoot corrosive ammo out of the old nagant.

16. Hispeedal2

Hispeedal2 Nay Sayer

Over-cleaning a modern bore is worse than hardly ever cleaning it. That's why I use bore snakes. For more detailed cleaning, I use OTIS. If it really demands attention- steel coated rod.

If it's chrome lined, bore snake is good enough.

survivalmonkey SSL seal        survivalmonkey.com warrant canary
17282WuJHksJ9798f34razfKbPATqTq9E7